PDA

View Full Version : 30M Some advice about install process please

Pr3sario
16-03-2011, 21:47
Had a look around before I posted this but I can't find answers to all my questions - your help is appreciated!

I move into a new flat on 5th April and I wanted to get a head start on ordering all my broadband and phone services...

I have just ordered Virgin Media 30mb service and I am having it installed in the next few weeks. The thing is I rent the property and I was expecting to have to enter my landlords details so they can get permission - but I was never asked for this information... Does this mean that the connections etc. are already in place? Maybe because a previous tenant has had it installed?

Also - what does the install process involve? I am fairly new to all this so forgive these questions. Do they have to dig up the road? Is there a tube the wire will run through close to the house?

Any and all information about this would be appreciated... ;)

General Maximus
16-03-2011, 22:20
if they have accepted your details an address check would have been performed and the likelyhood is that you'll already have a line running to your house, whether it is currently in use or not is another question. Providing there is already a sort of mains box for the property, it is easy peasy from there for the engineer to runs cables round to where you want the BB, phone and tv internally. The long and short of it is that you dont need to worry about the physicaly installation. The only thing I would do is ring up and double check to make sure they are happy about whose name it is going under because the last thing you want is for them to turn up and refuse to do anything because you are no the owner of the property. If Masque is still awake maybe he can provide some words of wisdom for you.

Welcome to the forum btw :welcome:

Pr3sario
17-03-2011, 09:55
Thanks for the welcome - after having a look around I think this may become my technical support network... Great wee forum.

Spoke to them today - I wasn't asked for permission because the address is already on their database.

Roll on April now! Jumping from 2mb to 30mb will take some getting used to!

Nopanic
17-03-2011, 18:26
VM don't know who owns the house .. I think the responsibility lies with you to inform the owners and get permission.

Pr3sario
17-03-2011, 18:30
VM don't know who owns the house .. I think the responsibility lies with you to inform the owners and get permission.

Hey on the website it says you will be prompted to enter if you are able to give permission for the install to go ahead, and if not you will be asked to give details of who can authorise it.

I was never even asked if I was able to - and having spoken to VM this morning they said its because the flat has had cable before so install work should be minimum.

Nopanic
17-03-2011, 18:35
ah fair enough ..