PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Netbook and WiFi Issue

jtaylor06
16-03-2011, 17:13
Hi Guys

My brother's netbook (Samsung N130) has began to struggle connecting to the SuperHub as of last week.

Basically what happens is that it will connect for 15 seconds or so, then disconnect, followed by a long period of downtime (yellow triangle showing on signal bar in tray). This will again repeat and repeat.
All devices in the house work perfectly apart this netbook.

I've tried to identify the problem through various methods such as:
- Disable N on the adapter
-> this achieved nothing

- Reduce SuperHubs transmission rate
-> this achieved nothing

- Create a guest network with no security
-> this achieved nothing

- Completely reinstall the adapter and drivers
-> this achieved nothing

- Use my phone as access point
-> works perfectly

- Use a external wireless adapter
-> works perfectly

http://imgftw.net/img/580075621.png

As you can see above, the SuperHub is fluctuating quite a bit compared to my phone's access point.

However, when viewing the results of the external adapter, the SuperHub's line is constant (minor change in height in some places at most)

I even used the REALTEK utility to see the signal strength and quality. The signal strength would start at 100%, drop to 60% then completely drop, along with quality.

Trouble is, I don't know whether it the adapter that is having problems, or whether it is the SuperHub.
The internal adapter had worked perfectly since having the SuperHub until as of last week (as mentioned earlier)

Any ideas, or any other diagnostics that can be taken to help identify what the culprit is?

--
Devices Overview:
Internal Adapter: REALTEK RTL8192E Wireless LAN 802.11N
External Adapter: NETGEAR WG111T
Android Phone: Samsung Galaxy S (2.2)
Netbook: Samsung N130

jtaylor06
16-03-2011, 19:41
Update on the situation - it looks like the external adapter is now having issues with disconnects - it is infrequent and is nothing compared to the internal adapter.

General Maximus
16-03-2011, 22:23
have you tried restricting the superhub to just wireless N and not mixed (G and N)

jtaylor06
16-03-2011, 23:00
Hi GM,
Where do I find that in advanced settings?

Mick Fisher
16-03-2011, 23:34
Changing the 802.11 mode to 'up to 145mbps'

was the workaround I had to use to fix that particular issue.

qasdfdsaq
17-03-2011, 00:46
All I know is the Realtek 8188 802.11n card is an utter pile of crap, I've not had time to investigate whether it's a driver, hardware, or calibration issue.

In any cas the 8192 also being crap wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

jtaylor06
17-03-2011, 01:02
Changing the 802.11 mode to 'up to 145mbps'

was the workaround I had to use to fix that particular issue.

Had tried that a few days ago, but that had brought no luck.

As for qasdfdsaq, so the problem probably solely relies on being the REALTEK network card then?
Just trying to rule out whether it is the SuperHub or the actual network card causing problems before settings are adjusted / money spent.

If it turns out to be the wireless card, I'm just wondering whether a new purchase of one would invalidate warranty and insurance if installed.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm now off to sleep :)

qasdfdsaq
17-03-2011, 02:00
Could be a combination of both. The Superhub is far from perfect, but the Realtek has major issues of its own. I know the 8188 has similar issues to yours with known good APs (including my phone, Cisco 1142 and 1230's on latest WiSMs w/ release 7, and several DD-WRT devices). Personally I have to reset (disable and re-enable in DM) the card every time after resuming from standby or I get the yellow triangle (DHCP failure, or >50% packet loss) and even then it only works half the time. Maybe I just got a bad sample but I've honestly never in my life seen a wireless client as bad as this.

General Maximus
17-03-2011, 08:40
youn dont have to worry about invalidating your warantee by replacing your wireless nic, just disable it in device manager and buy a wireless N usb dongle. I think you can get decent enough dlink and netgear ones for around the £30 mark. If that doesnt work and it turns out to be the hub, VM should replace it for free.

qasdfdsaq
17-03-2011, 13:27
You can get USB ones for about £10.

jtaylor06
17-03-2011, 19:34
Cheers everyone!
Will let you know the final outcome in due course