PDA

View Full Version : SNR..FNR? can somebody please explain it to me.

D.Casey
15-03-2011, 21:55
To cut a long story short myself and others on the DN35/DN32 postcode have been having a problem every single night, the speed drops to 0.5mb and ping 150+. It happens every night at exactly the same time 8.01pm.

Original thread here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33675533-dn35-very-poor-internet-speed-ping.html

Anyhow, myself & others have been in touch with VM and we have been told the issue will be fixed on the 18th march, they exaplined the problem but I honestly couldn't understand.

He said (to me & others) that the problem is snr/fnr (couldn't quite make out which) he said it should be 20+ on the ubr but is only 18 ish and that will cause everybodys connection to be awful/unusable during the period (8.01pm to 10.30pm) everynight.

He credited my account (£5) and said not to worry the techs are fixing it on the 18th.

Can somebody please explain exactly what he ment by the problem? I don't mind speaking to call centres abroad but i'd like to know if its a real problem or if im being fobbed off again.

Thankyou for reading.

Chris
15-03-2011, 21:59
SNR is signal-to-noise ratio. I'd guess that a piece of cable somewhere has deteriorated and needs replaced ... That will be the work scheduled for the 18th.

General Maximus
15-03-2011, 22:25
i think it is like saying that the signal needs to be a certain strength (like when you are trying to talk in a room) and the moor people in the room, the better and louder the signal needs to be to get through the noise of the crowd. I am assuming this is why it cuts out during the evening when more peeps are online.

D.Casey
15-03-2011, 23:37
Thankyou for your replies, I would like to ask one more question regarding it. Does an snr problem ususally cause a problem at a specific time? just the problem only ever happens at 8.01pm every night... not a few mins later or before always at 8.01pm.
Wouldn't a snr problem be a random time depending on how many are connecting at different times?

pip08456
15-03-2011, 23:54
An SNR problem is as explained above to do with noise.

There are, to put it simply, 2 layers of SNR. There is downstream SNR (measured by your modem/plooperhub) and upstrean SNR measured and recorded at the CMTS.

If the problem occurs at exactly the same time daily then there is a common cause. Something must be switching on at that time of night to cause it.

As it is not random it should make it easier for networks to track it down, identify and correct, if it were random you would be in for the long haul.

D.Casey
16-03-2011, 07:16
An SNR problem is as explained above to do with noise.

There are, to put it simply, 2 layers of SNR. There is downstream SNR (measured by your modem/plooperhub) and upstrean SNR measured and recorded at the CMTS.

If the problem occurs at exactly the same time daily then there is a common cause. Something must be switching on at that time of night to cause it.

As it is not random it should make it easier for networks to track it down, identify and correct, if it were random you would be in for the long haul.

Thankyou for your explanation.

I presume such a problem would need to be checked by a network tech? I was told the only way to get the info to them is book a tech who would need the situation explaining to them and they forward it to the network team?
The 2 vm people i've spoke to on the phone say they can't contact the network team as its only their job to book field techs if required.

I feel bad having to book a tech knowing he won't be able to do anything other than pass the info on, it just seems bad having to take a slot when its not needed if the people on the phone could just forward the relievent info to the correct departments.

Maybe the network techs don't have much faith in the call centre people (off shore) to highlight problems that really do need their attention.

Peter_
16-03-2011, 07:17
Thankyou for your explanation.

I presume such a problem would need to be checked by a network tech? I was told the only way to get the info to them is book a tech who would need the situation explaining to them and they forward it to the network team?
The 2 vm people i've spoke to on the phone say they can't contact the network team as its only their job to book field techs if required.

I feel bad having to book a tech knowing he won't be able to do anything other than pass the info on, it just seems bad having to take a slot when its not needed if the people on the phone could just forward the relievent info to the correct departments.
That is the way the process works unless it is found to be an outage.:)

D.Casey
16-03-2011, 13:00
That is the way the process works unless it is found to be an outage.:)

Thankyou for the info, if the problem dosn't get fixed on the 18th & I have to book a tech i'll show him the data that I & others have collected regarding the problem. Hopefully I won't waste much of his/hers time as they no doubt have seen the problem before.

I do miss the newsgroups, the vm people on there was brilliant.

Peter_
16-03-2011, 13:07
I do miss the newsgroups, the vm people on there was brilliant.
That was replaced by the Community forum which can be found here. http://community.virginmedia.com/

Nedkelly
16-03-2011, 19:27
This could be caused by someone getting home and turning on a faulty bit of kit or a connector loose some where . If it was on long enough to cause modems to drop off then it would be passed to networks to have a look .:)

D.Casey
16-03-2011, 19:27
That was replaced by the Community forum which can be found here. http://community.virginmedia.com/

Thankyou, quite a few have posted regarding the issue and I see its now been acknowledged so hopefully it will be fixed soon.