PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub Firmware Beta Test

Pages : [1] 2 3

craigj2k12
15-03-2011, 18:27
Got my beta firmware today.

No difference whatsoever from the original one. It kept my settings, but im sure if I did a factory reset, ip flood detection would be disabled by default

Cant wait for the bridge mode beta test, should be soon. I think because im registered for this test, I automatically go onto the bridge mode test.

Anyone else on the beta? noticed any difference?

Im going to give it a good thrashing at the weekend, ill forward 10 ports :shocked: and see if the superhub :Yes: or :fit:

Ill do a factory reset as well, and see whats changed on the default settings

Skie
15-03-2011, 18:36
What is your version number?

I PM'd them but never had anything back from them.

craigj2k12
15-03-2011, 18:44
I PM'd them and got no reply, but the firmware version changed this afternoon to

V5.5.2R24T2

Chrysalis
15-03-2011, 19:40
yes same here, but had no communication from anyone, nowhere to provide feedback to etc.

same for other trialists?

what I will probably do is disable DMZ at some point this week and test out the port forwarding.

Skie
15-03-2011, 20:18
Oh hey, mines been done too.

Guess this was it: Mon Jan 10 20:39:57 2011 Critical (3) Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow

craigj2k12
15-03-2011, 22:12
No that was in january. The firmware update was this week

Skie
15-03-2011, 22:24
Derp, didnt even look at the date just the monday!

But yeah, mines definitely gone up to V5.5.2R24T2. Odd that it dosent show up in logs.

GrimUpNorth
15-03-2011, 22:43
Same here, notice my VPN to work go down about 18:10 and "Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow" in the event log. Might be coincidence, but superhub hasn't crashed since!

I did offer my services for the trial but didn't get a reply so assumed they didn't want/need me!

Cheers
Grim

whizzard
15-03-2011, 23:37
This firmware version will probably never see the light of day. Probably more a test to ensure some of the features work and then the bridge mode functionality that they have promised will be integrated into the next iteration.

GrimUpNorth
16-03-2011, 09:35
Might be coincidence, but superhub hasn't crashed since!

Spoke too soon, hub crashed at 03:15 this morning, anyway hoping to have an old '50meg' modem delivered in a couple of days so lets see if that cures the problem.

Cheers
Grim

craigj2k12
16-03-2011, 11:57
how did you get one of those?

Peter_
16-03-2011, 13:37
Spoke too soon, hub crashed at 03:15 this morning, anyway hoping to have an old '50meg' modem delivered in a couple of days so lets see if that cures the problem.

Cheers
Grim
As we have never been able to send out VMNG300 modems I expect that you will receive a standard modem instead.

craigj2k12
16-03-2011, 13:57
whats a standard modem?

Phil-ntl
16-03-2011, 14:37
Mine updated at some point overnight to: Software Version V5.5.2R24T2

Nothing in the log to show the download though although found this post on the vm forum.......

Re: Super Hub Problems Update *16/03/11*

on 16-03-2011 11:22 - last edited on 16-03-2011 11:40

We've started releasing the R24T2 firmware to trialists yesterday and we'll be sending trialists a confirmation by private message today along with instructions on how to access the firmware trial forum.

Thanks

GrimUpNorth
16-03-2011, 19:35
As we have never been able to send out VMNG300 modems I expect that you will receive a standard modem instead.

The commander-in-chief got fed up of ongoing issues we've got (well mostly she's got!!) and banged a nice email to the CEO. Reply came very late last night apologising for letting us down and saying they would pass it to a person in the office to help.

This morning I spoke to a nice chap who suggested trying a 50 meg modem to see if it's the superhub or something else to blame. I was sceptical about availabilty, but he said the CEO's office have a secret stash and he would put it in the post himself today, and should be here by Friday.

Lets see what arrives!!

Cheers
Grim

Peter_
16-03-2011, 21:13
The commander-in-chief got fed up of ongoing issues we've got (well mostly she's got!!) and banged a nice email to the CEO. Reply came very late last night apologising for letting us down and saying they would pass it to a person in the office to help.

This morning I spoke to a nice chap who suggested trying a 50 meg modem to see if it's the superhub or something else to blame. I was sceptical about availabilty, but he said the CEO's office have a secret stash and he would put it in the post himself today, and should be here by Friday.

Lets see what arrives!!

Cheers
Grim
Let us know if you actually receive one as the has never been an option for us to send one out and when some agents have promised a customer one they invariably receive a standard modem.

If you receive one it should look like this one below.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/34.jpg

GrimUpNorth
16-03-2011, 21:45
Let us know if you actually receive one as the has never been an option for us to send one out and when some agents have promised a customer one they invariably receive a standard modem.

Will let you know. I'm not going to give specific details, but the guys email says he's part of the CEO setup with an address in Manchester. He gave us his extension number, and when I phoned a well spoken polite lady asked who was calling and put me through to him. Without meaning any disrespect it was not your normal contact with VM experience. (The lady who answered the phone should do the "Welcome to Virgin Media" recordings on 150/151 - she sounded so much better!!)

Cheers
Grim

Peter_
16-03-2011, 21:49
Will let you know. I'm not going to give specific details, but the guys email says he's part of the CEO setup with an address in Manchester. He gave us his extension number, and when I phoned a well spoken polite lady asked who was calling and put me through to him. Without meaning any disrespect it was not your normal contact with VM experience. (The lady who answered the phone should do the "Welcome to Virgin Media" recordings on 150/151 - she sounded so much better!!)

Cheers
Grim
I hope you get one just interested to see if it turns up, I can guess which department and office you spoke to which was probably Wythenshawe.

craigj2k12
16-03-2011, 23:38
Those on the beta firmware have received a message telling them the secret location to the beta feedback forum

From the responses it would seem that the packet loss with ip flood detection has been resolved and that the issue affecting browsing with firewall enabled is resolved

The admin on there, mark Wilkin I think, replied to a post which asked for changing of dns servers and support of dyndns by saying. We are focusing on modem mode first and modem mode is to take priority. He also said that things like this would be added when they have sorted modem mode out

It all seems exciting. I'll let everyone know any more things I find out from the special red carpet forum for beta testers (what I'm allowed to anyway)

telfordcable
17-03-2011, 00:15
If you receive one it should look like this one below.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/34.jpg

I miss that modem so much (the best beauty!) better than superhub.

BenMcr
17-03-2011, 00:25
I miss that modem so much (the best beauty!) better than superhub.Then why didn't you stick with a service that allowed you to keep it?

telfordcable
17-03-2011, 01:30
Then why didn't you stick with a service that allowed you to keep it?

They won't re-activated it again!

zekeisaszekedoes
17-03-2011, 05:10
The admin on there, mark Wilkin I think, replied to a post which asked for changing of dns servers and support of dyndns by saying. We are focusing on modem mode first and modem mode is to take priority. He also said that things like this would be added when they have sorted modem mode out

Great news eh? Because of course if the modem mode is fine, then stuff like DynDNS (mostly the sort of thing advanced users want) can be neatly handled by a third party router.

I wasn't informed I was considered for the test - in fact the first I knew of it was when Mr Wilkin said "can't send the upgrade to your Super Hub" earlier this evening. As I'd dropped in my old rig again I quickly swapped the Super Hub back in and told him it was good for an upgrade attempt tomorrow as per his request.

A little disorganised but still, looking forward to seeing if the stability is improved or not! I have been setting up a NAS these past few days, so streaming video (open ports to Win7 FTP server) should represent a good test, as will VNC.

GrimUpNorth
17-03-2011, 06:57
IPflood and firewall turned on here - with no obvious impact, didn't stop the hub crashing just after I went to bed though! Bit of a pain when you've got stuff scheduled over night.

Not many people posting in the secret forum yet, so I wonder how many of us are on the trial?

Cheers
Grim

whizzard
17-03-2011, 08:24
IPflood and firewall turned on here - with no obvious impact, didn't stop the hub crashing just after I went to bed though! Bit of a pain when you've got stuff scheduled over night.

Not many people posting in the secret forum yet, so I wonder how many of us are on the trial?

Cheers
Grim

Probably find theres a small pocket of you. There will also be internal and staff testing going on in parallel.

zekeisaszekedoes
17-03-2011, 13:46
Looks like very little has changed. Lots of annoying things still present, and it appears there's a new bug which has been introduced with this trial build. Disappointing, but at least I can report faults directly to VM now.

craigj2k12
17-03-2011, 13:59
whats the bug you have

i know neither my laptop or my phone can find the wireless

Chrysalis
17-03-2011, 14:36
by the way I have already retested without DMZ and that bug still exists I'm afraid.

5f9ad08e:~# ping 82.30.x,x
PING 82.30.x.x (82.30.x.x) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 82.30.x.x ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms

I only disabled DMZ about an hour ago so didnt even last that long.

zekeisaszekedoes
17-03-2011, 15:36
Well the pre-existing problem with static DHCP leases rebooting the unit persists, but until I powered on/off it also confused a static IP with one I'd already given a DHCP lease to even though no static IP was set on the PC in question. That's the best I can explain it.

I'll get on to testing port forwarding (see if it drops within a few hours) and IP flood/firewall is back on, but that'll be later as I'm setting up my old main PC as a NAS/P2P server. It's complicated!

Chrysalis
17-03-2011, 16:41
well the port forwarding is almost certianly a culprit.

before when I tested I rebooted the superhub between tests. This time I didnt touch the static dhcp so no rebooting was needed, to enable I simply moved my cable from the dir615 to the superhub, disabled the dmz and added the port forwards. I then found a torrent and tested with that. Within an hour the pings were jacked.

I then swapped the cable back, enabled the dmz again and removed the port forwards, what was interesting was when I removed the torrent port, it took about 30 seconds to apply the change, as if something got clogged up and flushed out, immediatly pings started working after that without a reboot.

zekeisaszekedoes
17-03-2011, 20:17
Going by my experience, yours and some of the tentative stuff on the hidden VM forum it seems like this upgrade probably isn't. Still, I'm glad to be part of the testing now so I can have at the bridge mode version later.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Nope, this thing is still junk. IP flood/firewall improved, pretty much everything else annoying including reboots after every static DHCP lease added are still there. Wireless still drops and disappears out on LAN transfers, and even when it works is notably slower than my DIR-615 running DD-WRT r14929. Couldn't even manage a 3.1GB DVD VOB file (an old disc from 1995 when average bitrate was lower).

Written my first report on VM's hidden firmware test forum. Hopefully I can help get this thing half-decent... if they listen to me and the other folks pointing out the issues, that is. ;) :D

Chrysalis
17-03-2011, 20:31
well the changelog is brief lets say, it does seem any updates on VM firmware are always going to only address 1 or 2 issues at a time only. They appear to be taking a very cautious approach to firmware changes.

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

I read what I think is the post you made there, some good points.

The one that stands out is that it seems the superhub lan/wireless side of things was only tested to work on broadband speeds, ie using the router for the internet but not tested enough to handle heavy lan activity eg. copying files between machines.

qasdfdsaq
17-03-2011, 22:53
Written my first report on VM's hidden firmware test forum. Hopefully I can help get this thing half-decent... if they listen to me and the other folks pointing out the issues, that is. ;) :D
Seeing how they "listened" to the folks doing the first beta tests before the Superhub was even released, I know what I'm expecting...

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

The one that stands out is that it seems the superhub lan/wireless side of things was only tested to work on broadband speeds, ie using the router for the internet but not tested enough to handle heavy lan activity eg. copying files between machines.
Just wait until it gets used for the "Up to 400mbps" internet connections it was designed for...

GrimUpNorth
18-03-2011, 12:02
I hope you get one just interested to see if it turns up, I can guess which department and office you spoke to which was probably Wythenshawe.

I know I'm taking the thread off topic, but modem arrived yesterday by special delivery and it is a VMNG300, was unboxed, but was shrink wrapped and had protective covers on the gloss black surfaces. Now if only the flipping thing would connect.... technician coming tomorrow anyway so fingers crossed.

From the postcode it is an office block in Wythenshawe, any info on what they do there?

Cheers
Grim

BenMcr
18-03-2011, 12:19
From the postcode it is an office block in Wythenshawe, any info on what they do there?That would be Complaints and CEOs

GrimUpNorth
18-03-2011, 12:21
That would be Complaints and CEOs

Cheers Ben

Hiddendeath
18-03-2011, 13:40
Good news grim. I have one on the way also, my min ping on thinkbroad tester has gone from 14ms to 25ms, and i have no idea why. Dam superhub not compatible with Cisco UBR's as we have here in Norwich.

Sorry this is o/t also. apologies

Peter_
18-03-2011, 15:33
I know I'm taking the thread off topic, but modem arrived yesterday by special delivery and it is a VMNG300, was unboxed, but was shrink wrapped and had protective covers on the gloss black surfaces. Now if only the flipping thing would connect.... technician coming tomorrow anyway so fingers crossed.

You should have been able to ring Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 in order to have it activated as we need your new MAC address on your account.

Good to see that you actually got the modem you wanted, soon they will be as rare as hens teeth.

qasdfdsaq
18-03-2011, 15:33
Good to know you *can* still get a VMNG300 standalone modem if you push hard enough and get to the right department. Slightly less worried about the whole Superhub situation now, since I know what I'll be doing if my VMNG300 needs to be replaced.

BenMcr
18-03-2011, 15:38
Good to know you *can* still get a VMNG300 standalone modem if you push hard enough and get to the right department. Slightly less worried about the whole Superhub situation now, since I know what I'll be doing if my VMNG300 needs to be replaced.That's if they have any left. If it's come from Complaints or CEOs then they'll only have a smalll number, and will likely run out sooner rather than later

After that it's SuperHubs only

jimmyhorns
18-03-2011, 15:41
I had a partial result today after sounding off a 2 page letter of complaint with all the problems I have had with the superhub so far (a total of 22 hours). Had an email back from the CEO (although likely just someone monitoring the email address) saying it would be sorted. I have given them the ultimatum of putting me back to 10M and my old modem or sending me out a VMNG300. we shall see what happens

James

philce
18-03-2011, 17:50
Good news grim. I have one on the way also, my min ping on thinkbroad tester has gone from 14ms to 25ms, and i have no idea why. Dam superhub not compatible with Cisco UBR's as we have here in Norwich.

Sorry this is o/t also. apologies

Latency here (Leicester) went up between 11am and just after 2pm today. No new F/W on the SuperHub.

jsansom
18-03-2011, 18:13
Hi all,
I have also had nothing but issues with the new superhub 30mb service low wireless speed 0.5mb-2mb and poor signal.
Just wondering if i did manage to get a vmng300 modem is that a better setup keeping it with my linksys wireless n router? or will the superhub be better once its fixed (if it ever does get sorted)
Regards
J

Hiddendeath
18-03-2011, 18:17
I'd say if you got the ambit vmg300 then use a standalone as the new firmware hasnt really address the wireless issues. But as with all things, eventually the bugs will be fixed and then perhaps the superslug will be a good bit of kit. When is the big question tho.

GrimUpNorth
18-03-2011, 19:30
You should have been able to ring Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 in order to have it activated as we need your new MAC address on your account.

Good to see that you actually got the modem you wanted, soon they will be as rare as hens teeth.

Did phone the activation number, but looks like there's a problem with the upstream power level - they have wandered quite a bit (well more than they ever did on the old network) over the three weeks I've been on the docsis 3 network. Lets see what the technician can do tomorrow

Cheers
Grim

Peter_
18-03-2011, 19:47
Did phone the activation number, but looks like there's a problem with the upstream power level - they have wandered quite a bit (well more than they ever did on the old network) over the three weeks I've been on the docsis 3 network. Lets see what the technician can do tomorrow

Cheers
Grim
What are you getting on the upstream.

zekeisaszekedoes
19-03-2011, 04:13
Seeing how they "listened" to the folks doing the first beta tests before the Superhub was even released, I know what I'm expecting...

I know, that's why I'm expecting the initial couple of iterations of bridge mode to be b0rked, or close to it. I hate to be a pessimist but the rollout of the previous two CPEs (VMNG300/Hub) and their need for firmware updates, and the other earlier "Virginised" versions of off-the-shelf routers are the actions that speak nice and loud and clear. ;)

Further debunking of the "no more VMNG300s allowed" myth, excellent. I hope I have as much success getting one as the three folks I've read about on here, as after a little tweaking these seem to be rock solid and the best of the three current DOCSIS3 choices.

Welshchris
19-03-2011, 04:37

i thought that VM were on about starting a modem own option where they will supply u with just a modem during the summer if u didnt wish to have the hub.

Lets just hope that VM doesnt take as long to sort the bugs out on the hub as they did the VMNG300s Took them almost a year on these.

BenMcr
19-03-2011, 12:23
i thought that VM were on about starting a modem own option where they will supply u with just a modem during the summer if u didnt wish to have the hub.No, they are introducing a 'modem only' mode into the Hubs

So you still get the physical Hub, you can just make it work like a standlone modem

zekeisaszekedoes
19-03-2011, 14:00
Lets just hope that VM doesnt take as long to sort the bugs out on the hub as they did the VMNG300s Took them almost a year on these.

...and just as they get them working great, VM replace them. Same deal with the Super Hub maybe? We'll see.

bonjan
19-03-2011, 14:10
I managed to put the official firmware in bridge mode: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33675995-how-put-superhub-bridge-mode-really.html .

Could you please test that and report in this thread?

Chrysalis
19-03-2011, 18:07
I am considering reporting it to VM saying its easy to do so why 4-5 month wait for the official feature.

However I probably wont do it as VM would likely then in a panic rollout a quick update disabling ssh for everyone, it appears to already be disabled for beta testers.

craigj2k12
19-03-2011, 18:23
I am considering reporting it to VM saying its easy to do so why 4-5 month wait for the official feature.

However I probably wont do it as VM would likely then in a panic rollout a quick update disabling ssh for everyone, it appears to already be disabled for beta testers.

yeah exactly, 4 - 5 months should be enough time to make a firmware able to transform all superhubs into vmng300's

iv just sent an email to neil berkett, in summary telling him how crap the superhub is, and asked for a vmng300. we will see. others have had luck

GrimUpNorth
19-03-2011, 22:39
What are you getting on the upstream.

Upstream is 37.5, downstream ranges from 3.5 to 5.3 across the four channels. The technician spent a good hour remaking all the connections and fiddling about in the cabinet. So far so good, but lets see if I get the usual overnight disconnection.

Cheers
Grim

Boggart
20-03-2011, 19:06
...and just as they get them working great, VM replace them. Same deal with the Super Hub maybe? We'll see.

The VMNG300 only has 4 DoCSIS Tuners in it.. With VM moving to 6 - 8 Channels over the coming years and the SuperHub having 8 Tuners, I guess that is the answer.

zekeisaszekedoes
20-03-2011, 19:17
Yeah but seeing how poorly the Super Hub is performing at this early stage with 4 down and 1 up, plus wireless N failing on 300Mbps mode, doesn't bode well for it's ability to handle more channels and faster WAN speeds. I could be wrong and in fact I hope I am since VM seem to be pinning all their hopes on this promise (http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Mye/eoCEz?src=5), but going on previous decisions that seems like the most logical outcome.

Chrysalis
20-03-2011, 19:47
I would be very surprised if the superhub is still been given out when a 200mbit or 400mbit service comes. By then VM will realise the failure. Plus looking at their history they seem to release new CPE every 1-2 years anyway. Howver the replacement will probably be called the superhub v2 or something and still be a combined device dumbed down. Hopefully tho they will at least open up a optional modem only path for those who want on request.

BenMcr
20-03-2011, 19:51
By then VM will realise the failure. Plus looking at their history they seem to release new CPE every 1-2 years anyway.Only because of standard changes

The ntl 250 modems are still going strong for 20Mbit and below and they are at least 5 years old

zekeisaszekedoes
20-03-2011, 21:02
Old maybe, but still excellent units. Which is why I'm still using mine and staying on 20Mbps tier instead of the 30Mbps one (maybe more once the upload speed increases come to my region) I'm hankering for, and would recommend anyone else not able to get a VMDG300 to do the same until the Super Hub has been improved, or better still, dropped entirely.

Hiddendeath
20-03-2011, 21:46
I have my wmg300 arriving tomorrow in lieu this superslug i have right now, had 40% packet loss @ 9pm tonight for no apparent reason dam thing..

Hiddendeath
21-03-2011, 11:09
just got new modem and... its an ambit 256, the idiots have sent me a non compatible docsis modem for the 30mb service. I am very annoyed right now.

Edit, got another modem being sent tomorrow so fingers x'd they get it right this time around. For the mean time im not activating the 256 i have got and sticking with the superslug, that way at least i have a back up until the new modem arrives.

pip08456
22-03-2011, 10:13
The 256 won't work on 30Mb.

Stephen
22-03-2011, 10:20
The 256 won't work on 30Mb.
He knows that lol.

pip08456
22-03-2011, 10:22
just got new modem and... its an ambit 256, the idiots have sent me a non compatible docsis modem for the 30mb service. I am very annoyed right now.

Edit, got another modem being sent tomorrow so fingers x'd they get it right this time around. For the mean time im not activating the 256 i have got and sticking with the superslug, that way at least i have a back up until the new modem arrives.

The above does not appear to assert that Stephen.

Stephen
22-03-2011, 10:45
The above does not appear to assert that Stephen.

That line says he does ;)

Peter_
22-03-2011, 11:18

No surprise that you received the incorrect modem, who sent out the first one and who is sending out the replacement.

You would not be able to activate the Ambit 256 unless you downgraded to 20Mb anyway.

jimmyhorns
22-03-2011, 12:57
shiny new VMNG300 arrived by courier this morning. Amazing what a letter and being polite can do.

craigj2k12
22-03-2011, 13:09
My vmng300 should be getting sent out this week

Hiddendeath
22-03-2011, 14:46
@ masque, t2 line support sent it out via retentions. The 2nd modem is also being sent by them. But i contacted the CEO office and its being sorted, confirmed that they have no more vnmg300 modems at all and awaiting a new stock order to arrive.

So im stuck with this till its sorted, should be by the end of the week. ;)

craigj2k12
22-03-2011, 15:18
they arent waiting for stock, they are just gathering up what they have left around the country

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 17:31
indeed I am also waiting for stock, so the scaremongering of stock not been replenished is wrong as more are ordered.

BenMcr
22-03-2011, 17:48
Why would Virgin order more for a modem they no longer supply?

pip08456
22-03-2011, 18:23
craig is most likely 50% correct.

The CEO's office will be waiting for stock if they are gathering them from the different depots.

Can't see the CEO's office promising them if there is no intention to supply them from there.

Hiddendeath
22-03-2011, 18:45
correct my ceo contact said he was awaiting a shipment from "south" and then would send me one thereafter. ETA end of week.

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 18:57
Why would Virgin order more for a modem they no longer supply?

am I mistaken then and the ceo office and retentions arent supplying them to anyone?

BenMcr
22-03-2011, 19:08
am I mistaken then and the ceo office and retentions arent supplying them to anyone?Any that the CEO office may send out will be sent from remaining stock within Virgin Media and packaged and sent by the CEO team themselves

There has been no new order placed for more to be made

Customer Relations don't have any way of sending them (unless they have some in a cupboard somewhere)

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 19:14
ahh my mistake, I didnt know you had direct access to VM's orders. I guess you guys arent just call centre rep's then?

It doesnt matter what stock is been used tho if the CEO office is sending them out then it means they are supplying them. If VM runs out and decide its worth ordering more to prevent customers leaving (probably will be a yes as they do anything to keep customers) then more will be ordered new. You can deny it but I know will happen.

BenMcr
22-03-2011, 19:18
I guess you guys arent just call centre rep's then?nope

jimmyhorns
22-03-2011, 19:18
am I mistaken then and the ceo office and retentions arent supplying them to anyone?

I had no trouble receiving one

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 19:38
I had no trouble receiving one

indeed, a cheeck comment I made. As they are clearly still supplying them on demand.

jimmyhorns
22-03-2011, 19:46
indeed, a cheeck comment I made. As they are clearly still supplying them on demand.

sorry, after a day at work and just getting home I clearly didnt spot the subtle nudge nudge, wink wink ;)

cozmic1988
22-03-2011, 20:08
The beta firmware has steadied my Superhub massively. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction! Wireless seems a lot better, which is my biggest plus. Wireless frequencies round here are extremely congested (InSSIDer lists 16 networks available), so a sturdy wifi is essential.

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 20:59
my superhub firmware got downgraded again, am now back on the older firmware.

craigj2k12
22-03-2011, 22:05
The guy from the CEO office who rang me said they had a few vmng300's dotted around the country. He said that they were collecting them all up. He also wanted to know in detail the problems I was having with the superhub before he would let me have a modem. He was a very nice chap

pip08456
22-03-2011, 23:08
Any that the CEO office may send out will be sent from remaining stock within Virgin Media and packaged and sent by the CEO team themselves

There has been no new order placed for more to be made

Customer Relations don't have any way of sending them (unless they have some in a cupboard somewhere)

Basically agreeing with my post.

When they're gone they're gone though.

Makes no difference to me as I have one but I'm off to infinity next week but, if I was staying with VM and I had a modem problem the fact that they would be unable to change like for like (ie Modem only) would make me change anyway.

Skie
22-03-2011, 23:43
The beta firmware has steadied my Superhub massively. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction! Wireless seems a lot better, which is my biggest plus. Wireless frequencies round here are extremely congested (InSSIDer lists 16 networks available), so a sturdy wifi is essential.

Likely that this is a placebo effect as the only changes made in the beta firmware was to fix the IP Flood detection mode and to allow SIP telephones to work.

Chrysalis
23-03-2011, 06:57
yep changelog was tiny just 2 specific things mentioned. I checked other things regardless but noticed nothing different.

Hiddendeath
23-03-2011, 21:30
well the 2nd modem turned up, 2nd line said it wasnt a superhub but guess what it was? Just awaiting CEO guys to sort this out, everyone else is incompetent at the moment, really poor service from tech support.

Peter_
23-03-2011, 21:35
well the 2nd modem turned up, 2nd line said it wasnt a superhub but guess what it was? Just awaiting CEO guys to sort this out, everyone else is incompetent at the moment, really poor service from tech support.
As I have said quite a few times no one from Technical Support has ever been able to send out a VMNG300 modem because whenever someone insists they can do it either a standard modem or now even the Superhub goes out every time.

If these modems are available then the person saying they are must ensure that its correct in the first place and take ownership to ensure the correct item is sent.

These modems are now as rare as hens teeth.

Hiddendeath
23-03-2011, 21:37
aye i know dude, but they lie about it saying yes it will be, when it clearly wont be. Im not bothered but i have 2 superhubs 1 x 256 ambit i could set up my own service with all this gear right now.

Note i havent activated anything i have received and wont until the CEO guys send the vmNG300

Peter_
23-03-2011, 21:42
aye i know dude, but they lie about it saying yes it will be.
I do not think they are lying , they probably thought it was the correct item and never bothered to double check with someone else.

Hiddendeath
25-03-2011, 19:45
Good news i've defo got a vnmg 300 incoming on monday, CEO contact i had was superb by the way, has found 1 and has sent it to me. I should be v happy once again on monday. Bye bye superslug hub you've been a pain in the arse.

Peter_
25-03-2011, 19:49
Good news i've defo got a vnmg 300 incoming on monday, CEO contact i had was superb by the way, has found 1 and has sent it to me. I should be v happy once again on monday. Bye bye superslug hub you've been a pain in the arse.
Keep us updated and that does sound more promising.:)

GrimUpNorth
25-03-2011, 20:06
Nearly one week with the VNMG300 and what a difference. No disconnections full speed all the time.

However, graph below is typical of the last couple of days with maximum latency up and down like the preverbial whores drawers!! The packet loss around 07:30 is also the first of any significance I've noticed (the blip at 04:00 was a scheduled download).

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-thumb/9a0aeffca52fcc21309f07c321abe2bd-25-03-2011.png (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/9a0aeffca52fcc21309f07c321abe2bd-25-03-2011.html)

Cheers
Grim

jimmyhorns
25-03-2011, 23:51
Keep us updated and that does sound more promising.:)

I too now have my service back up and running with a VMNG300.

Service from the CEO office was very good, and did exactly as promised.

Works well with my 'old' d-link router, full speed, low latency and all of my network now works.

ALL of my problems (well IT based anyway as im still going grey) have been fixed by slotting in the '300 so very happy.

I do not think it will be long until VM realise that they are going to have to offer this as an alternative to the Superhub. They will be getting too many complaints through the CEO office for this to be sustainable, and the modem is cheaper to buy than the hub (well at least it should be). If customers are asking for less they should get it!

zekeisaszekedoes
26-03-2011, 00:13
All great news so far. CEO or retentions to get one, spread the word!

Peter_
26-03-2011, 06:00
All great news so far. CEO or retentions to get one, spread the word!
You are unlikely to get a VMNG300 from Retentions as they cannot send out modems of any sort and if they get TSC to send one it will be a Hub or a standard modem.

Hiddendeath
26-03-2011, 11:37
Good news, i have the vmng300 modem and its superb, jitter is now 2ms instead of 25ms+ i'll put up a graph once its been running long enough. CEO guy i had, if he does come on here thank you dude you were superb.
:D:D

Chrysalis
26-03-2011, 11:46
cant wait till I get mine now, more and more people saying it has an affect on jitter. I wouldnt expect a change of modem to have an affect so that is another question mark over the superhub.

zekeisaszekedoes
26-03-2011, 21:25
You are unlikely to get a VMNG300 from Retentions as they cannot send out modems of any sort and if they get TSC to send one it will be a Hub or a standard modem.

One of these days I'll composite all the times you've posted this alternating with people that have managed to do it regardless. :p: :D

Peter_
26-03-2011, 21:30
One of these days I'll composite all the times you've posted this alternating with people that have managed to do it regardless. :p: :D
Did they get one from Technical Support or an Engineer or even Customer Relations?

Of course they did not because none of those departments actually can send or fit one.

They managed luckily for them to have one sourced for them by the CEO's office, but as with all good things that has to come to an end because the VMNG300 is getting as rare as hens teeth so soon the will be no magicians hat to pull one from and then we all wait for the firmware upgrade.

Chrysalis
27-03-2011, 09:09
Well VM will do 'anything' to not lose customers. If/when the situation comes there is none left and someone says either give me vmng300 or I leave, I think I know what VM will do.

You guys said they wouldnt give loyalty discounts on 30mbit, and VM changed their policy and did that, it will be the same with these vmng300's.

We know already the bridge mode doesnt fix the higher jitter on the superhub, so it still seems its weak hardware processing power still drags it down even in bridge mode.

Peter_
27-03-2011, 09:22
Well VM will do 'anything' to not lose customers. If/when the situation comes there is none left and someone says either give me vmng300 or I leave, I think I know what VM will do.

Exactly where are these VMNG300 modems going to appear from as they are getting rarer by the day or are Virginmedia going to employ Harry Potter.:rolleyes:

Get real the supply of VMNG300 modems is finite and they are getting fewer by the day.

Chrysalis
27-03-2011, 09:54
would come from supplier, unless you claiming all of a sudden the means to manufacture them has stopped. I dont want to hear a claim about terminated contracts either, obviously new ones can be made.

Or are you going to tell me VM will change their behaviour on rententions they have had for a decade?

BenMcr
27-03-2011, 10:15
Or are you going to tell me VM will change their behaviour on rententions they have had for a decade?Retentions can only send customers equipment that is in the supply chain, they cannot order more from a supplier and have never been able to

Neither for that matter can CEOs

Peter_
27-03-2011, 10:37
would come from supplier, unless you claiming all of a sudden the means to manufacture them has stopped. I dont want to hear a claim about terminated contracts either, obviously new ones can be made.

Or are you going to tell me VM will change their behaviour on rententions they have had for a decade?
So you expect them to reorder a purpose built modem that is no longer being supplied by the company who built them when they already have a contract for a viable modem, now that makes perfect business sense.:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Retentions can only send customers equipment that is in the supply chain, they cannot order more from a supplier and have never been able to

Neither for that matter can CEOs
Retentions always come through to Technical Support for items such as replacement modems as they do not have the permissions to order them and of course it has always been impossible to order "My Precious" otherwise known as the VMNG300 modem.;)

Chrysalis
27-03-2011, 11:17
When did I say they can order?

I am reffering to the company as a whole ie. a policy change to reduce churn.

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

So you expect them to reorder a purpose built modem that is no longer being supplied by the company who built them when they already have a contract for a viable modem, now that makes perfect business sense.

yeah, its not as if VM hasnt had dual hardware supply before.

You see the superhub as viable because you looking through tinted glasses, it clearly isnt completely viable if its...

(a) losing them orders for higher tier products.
(b) losing customers.
(c) has poor reliability resulting in customers get sent new superhub's to replace older ones.

The company who supplied them do still manufacture if there is an order. Its not something thats 10 years old. The reason they stopped was a decision made to not order anymore.

Now we know you are a CS agent, so if anything you just towing the party line. I am interested in what role ben and nopanic play at VM, both seem a bit quiet about what their job is. Is one of them directly involved in the decision making of what hardware is used?

What I do know is you guys have never been passionate about anything but this superhub, if I make a post it is guarantueed you will reply, you will insist on having the last say on this.

So why are you so confident that this will last so long and no alternatives will be ordered? the cost savings doesnt appear to be significant, reduced tech support calls without redundancies means nothing, replacing viable equipment with superhubs is costing you money not saving it, customers not upgrading because of the superhub is losing you money, customers cancelling because of the superhub is losing you money.

All it looks like to me is that someone at VM has made a brainfart of a decision by bringing in a product that wasnt ready, even when beta testers told VM it wasnt ready. Which leads me to beta testing. The current firmware beta test has been nothing else other than a joke so far, it lasted a week and there was no staff involved at all, just trialists talking to each other. I suspect we simply got monitored remotely and that was the beta test, clearly not interested in tester feedback. VM strike me as a company who do not listen and if anything look down as if they think customers are all dumb and dont understand what they doing, hence the superhub a product designed for dummies and a beta test where they feel the testers arent worth listening to.

BenMcr
27-03-2011, 11:18
I am reffering to the company as a whole ie. a policy change to reduce churn.All companies want to reduce Churn, it's not unique to Virgin Media

And although they may still do offers, they are in no way as bad as they used to be under the days of ntl (where people used to get 'paid' to have cable)

zekeisaszekedoes
27-03-2011, 16:37
The Super Hub is a viable modem, that's a good one. :D

hjf288
27-03-2011, 18:28
The Super Hub is a viable modem, that's a good one. :D

Considering it has a acknowledged firmware issue that causes lower than normal upload... I'd say it wasn't really viable until the software is fixed

BenMcr
27-03-2011, 18:35
yeah, its not as if VM hasnt had dual hardware supply beforeGenerally they haven't actually

Virgin may have installed different kit e.g Pace STBs or Samsung STBs but have only had one active contract with a vendor in place at any one time. Any alternates would have already been within the business

Is one of them directly involved in the decision making of what hardware is used?I'm certainly not, however I've been in business long enough to know roughly how the process works

Peter_
28-03-2011, 19:43
When did I say they can order?

I think you misunderstood what I meant by order, not from the company but by ordering one on the customer account has never been possible with the VMNG300 modem nothing more.

I have had the Superhub for over 5 weeks without any issues whatsoever.

Mick Fisher
28-03-2011, 20:48
I think you misunderstood what I meant by order, not from the company but by ordering one on the customer account has never been possible with the VMNG300 modem nothing more.

I have had the Superhub for over 5 weeks without any issues whatsoever.
You should make that your signature. ;)

Peter_
28-03-2011, 20:49
You should make that your signature. ;)
It works and it is doing it job without any hiccups so I am happy.

Chrysalis
28-03-2011, 23:06
yeah make it your sig masque as you love to repeat it ;)

Peter_
29-03-2011, 05:52
yeah make it your sig masque as you love to repeat it ;)
No need because it actually works.

Chrysalis
29-03-2011, 08:41
No need because it actually works.

careful now.

Itshim
29-03-2011, 08:52
It works and it is doing it job without any hiccups so I am happy.

I do not work for Virgin or any company that supplys Virgin.

Ok its early days but I have had no problems with my super hub - I was very concerned when it was put in,due to reports on this forum.
Can I ask if you have had problems with it, did you try to tweek it?:erm:
Mine is as the Tec set it my Wii my grandaughters laptop my sons phone as well as my PC all running with no hicups on it.

Peter_
29-03-2011, 09:09
I do not work for Virgin or any company that supplys Virgin.

Ok its early days but I have had no problems with my super hub - I was very concerned when it was put in,due to reports on this forum.
Can I ask if you have had problems with it, did you try to tweek it?:erm:
Mine is as the Tec set it my Wii my grandaughters laptop my sons phone as well as my PC all running with no hicups on it.

I logged in and went to advanced settings and unticked firewall and ipflood and it works fine.

techguyone
29-03-2011, 09:12
Mines been ok on 3 hardwire connects to 2 pc's & a wii, and also one wireless N connection to a further pc upstairs. No reboots/disconnects etc. BUT I havent tried DMZ, port forwarding, or anything complex, so I won't speak about that side of things, merely to say on a 'simple level' the superhub for me. Works ok.

deuse
29-03-2011, 10:07
I logged in and went to advanced settings and unticked firewall and ipflood and it works fine.

Have you ever tried connecting a NAS to the super hub? it goes like this.

NAS=Hello super Hub I need these ports in UPnP please.

Super Hub=NO you can't have them..well yes I do see you but you can't have the ports you want with out a fight!.

NAS=Ok to war we go I will force you to give me them. I will tell the user how to do it.

Super hub resets it's self in the battle trying to confuse the NAS, but the nas is not having this and grabs the UpnP ports it needs.

Super hub= OK OK OK..you win here are your UpnP ports.(but you wait till the user turns me off .. we go to war again) :)

User=And still the upload speed through the super hub is crap calls 150 in hope.

zekeisaszekedoes
30-03-2011, 16:11
Ha. Reminds me of @wilw's cat/dog posts.

Chrysalis
31-03-2011, 20:39
new progress on the testing and also VM have posted some pleasant news which surprised me in a positive way.

BenMcr
31-03-2011, 21:07
Which would be....?

Chrysalis
31-03-2011, 21:13
I can post it since I see mark posted it in public anyway not just to testers.

Its a long planned changes list.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/SuperHub-VMDG480-Features-Feedback-Thread/m-p/425589#M72061

This is an update to give you an idea of all of the features suggested in this thread that we're currently investigating if we can include in the Super Hub firmware

We've not finished our investigation into if it's practical for us to include all of these features, but we do hope to include as many as possible.

Also to speed the availability of Modem Mode (Bridge Mode) these features will not be included in that firmware update available in the near future as we first hoped. When we have more information on which features will be selected and when they'll be available I'll post it on the forum.

Feature requests for Overlay GUI

•Add Super Hub reboot option
•Increased overlay GUI timeout (also add user defined option) - This is currently 180 seconds, needs to be minimum of 360 seconds and/or user defined
•Link to VM Speed Test tool
•Visual confirmation of 'connect speed' for upstream and downstream

Feature requests for Advanced GUI

•Remove reboot after reserving a LAN IP - Currently, the Super Hub reboots after every LAN IP is reserved. Should be able to add multiple before applying the setting and rebooting the Super Hub
•Add DDNS support - Ability to set-up DDNS services
•Add ability to specify alternate DNS - Ability to set an alternate DNS on Super Hub, used for 'OpenDNS' type services
•Add Quality Of Service (QOS) functionality - Adding a QOS feature that will allow certain traffic to be prioritized
•Add ability to directly access 'Advanced' GUI via unique URL - So instead of entering 192.168.0.1 (or http://routerlogin.net) you could enter 192.168.0.1/advanced (or http://routerlogin.net/advanced)
•Add Channel adaption technology (Smart Wireless) - Ability to monitor frequency noise and change channel on the fly in order to move to a less saturated frequency
•Add ability to dim/switch off LEDs
•Add ability to configure VPN
•Add ability to monitor Bandwidth & usage
•Add Wake On LAN (WOL) functionality - Ability to wake up connected (but powered down/sleeping/hibernating) device
•Access to signal levels without having to log into GUI - Ability to access http://192.168.0.1/RgConnect.asp without logging into GUI
•Provide SNMP Monitoring - Provides ability to monitor LAN side settings (not WAN side) - i.e. bandwidth, CPU load, RAM etc… generally read only
•Add Network Time Protocol (NTP) functionality - Retains accurate time by linking to online time service, also provides ability to synchronize clocks on all devices across the network
•Add Port Address Translation (PAT) functionality - PAT translates TCP or UDP communications made between hosts on a private network and hosts on a public network. It allows a single public IP address to be used by many hosts on a private network (LAN)
•Add ability for user to adjust remote access timeout for SSH etc…
•Add ability to toggle port forward settings - Currently have to delete and re-enter if you wish to temporarily disable a setting
•Add ability to view same stats as on the VM300 - For example: Correctable codewords, Uncorrectable codewords, Total codewords received, Upstream mini-slot size, Interleave data if it's not standard across the network, etc...
•Allow MAC auto-population - For area's where a MAC address is to be entered (i.e. LAN IP area), allow MAC of connected device to be selected and auto-populated - will reduce input errors.
•Allow more than 10 pings to test connectivity.
•Improved logs - Add Device power cycle, firmware updates, dropped connections, ports/services blocked, etc...
•Configurable INTERNAL IP Lease Time
•Add confirmation prompt prior to any reboot attempt.

there is incidently a new beta version now as well. They seem to be a bit confused over the timeout stuff tho thinking it be specific setting for ssh etc. when really it just be a tcp established connection timeout setting so would apply to everything.

BenMcr
31-03-2011, 21:21
Hope you noticed

We've not finished our investigation into if it's practical for us to include all of these features, but we do hope to include as many as possible.

Chrysalis
31-03-2011, 21:25
I did. Which is why i said planned, obviously no guarauntuee it will happen.

Skie
31-03-2011, 22:24
Those would all be great, but I can only see 4-5 of them making it in. The rest are fairly pie in the sky long term things. The hardware may not even be up to the job, no doubt the kit in the hub isnt bleeding edge.

The latest beta, R25, only has "Fixes a small number of recenty discovered security issues on the VMDG480 Super Hub." added. Which I guess just means they have blocked SSH access so you can't enable features that the device supports but arent exposed on the UI.

Chrysalis
31-03-2011, 23:21
the latest beta firmware is quite buggy, I already have few issues on it including speedtest.net been partially broken and giving poor results. I can put up with the bugs I volunteered after all but it seems a step back from the previous firmware. Browsing and even the gui are slower, I suspect the reason may the last line on the connection page (which I wont say here) but other testers can see it and see what I mean.

Chrysalis
01-04-2011, 03:53
the speedtest.net thing is a false alert, something my end was the cause.

craigj2k12
01-04-2011, 11:42
anyone had any luck with the r25 firmware

BenMcr
07-04-2011, 10:52
Well R25 has been released http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-Firmware-Update-R25-07-04-11/td-p/435549

Chrysalis
07-04-2011, 11:42
Well R25 has been released http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-Firmware-Update-R25-07-04-11/td-p/435549

Ben VM just confirmed they just ignore beta testers.

R25 is the firmware that cuts out downloads and streaming, multiple testers reported the same issue, other issues were also reported.

So VM have released a firmware with known bugs that is less stable than R20. Although R24 was ok, something changed that made R25 much less stable than R24.

BenMcr
07-04-2011, 11:46
I assume that's what it means by

Note: we will be updating our known issues list for this firmware with some issues spotted by our trialists once they have been confirmed in our labs.

Chrysalis
07-04-2011, 11:51
thats no good tho is it.

This firmware shouldnt be released, it simply isnt ready and too buggy, the download cutout issues are very serious as well, things like youtube stopping 20 seconds into a video and downloads aborting by themselves incomplete. My connection was so bad I downgraded my firmware back to R20 as was affecting me too much.

It seems to me VM have probably rushed this out for 2 reasons.

1 - they didnt like that flood protection was giving bad pingtest results and for whatever reason want people to leave that enabled even tho its useless so put that as a priority fix.
2 - ssh is the security fix mentioned, ssh is officialy disabled in R25.

Hiddendeath
07-04-2011, 12:50
personally the release of the R25 firmware given its known major issues is cynical and i am horrified that once again VM give the bird to the beta testers who have diligently spent their own tested testing the firmware. Appalling way to treat people it really is.

I'm glad i have my VMNG300 now, else i'd definitely being speaking to India for ages explaining new superslug issues ;(

Edit whilst i remember, anyone heard of a T6 timeout and why my modem upstream connection would be refused at the CMTS? Cheers

zekeisaszekedoes
07-04-2011, 22:00
I'm amazed VM don't just bite the bullet and go back to a separate modem/router setup, cut the losses with the Super Hub instead of funneling more money into the project. The betas actually seem to be making things worse, and adding more features when the ones already there aren't working correctly seems like a delicious recipe for disaster pie.

General Maximus
07-04-2011, 23:06
it makes you wonder how they have got the nerve to keep going on like this. How do you think everyone would react if they spent £20,000 on a new car only to find the engine wouldnt start and every time you took it back to the garage they did ****** little improvements "uh, big deal, if should have worked properly to start off with".

I think it is a joke that they have only just got round to addressing the ip flood detection problem and they are making more problems while they are at it.

I have heard certain peeps making excuses saying "poor VM arent a proper network/harware vendor like Netgear or Dlink". Tough poo, if you want to force people to use something then you bare the responsibility for making it work 100% as you are not providing any alternative if it doesn't. If you are incapable of providing hardware which is fit for purpose, leave it to a specialised manufacturers to produce and test for you.

Are we going to have to go another 12 months of consumer testing before we actually end up with a product that makes like it should have done from the beginning?

Chrysalis
07-04-2011, 23:20
I updated mine to the R25 live version as someone reported bugs were somehow fixed between the beta and the live version, I have noticed a cosmetic bug fixed but paris speedtest is hanging again for me. Didnt do much else after that in terms of testing yesterday tho.

BenMcr
14-04-2011, 22:38
A post about the download issues

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-14-04-11/m-p/446305#M47

Skie
14-04-2011, 23:00
"We're sorry this issue seems to have crept in and wasn't picked up during the beta test of R25, however we only saw isolated reports of this problem."

Isolated? Nearly everyone on the forum was posting saying the rushed out anti-SSH patch was causing download problems.

Helix
14-04-2011, 23:02

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-14-04-11/m-p/446305#M47

Which doesn't actually fully address them because its not restricted to IE8 at all. I have had issues in Chrome, Safari and Firefox.

Plus the YouTube/Flash streaming issue hasn't been mentioned by them at all despite numerous threads on the community forums.

Chrysalis
15-04-2011, 05:36

Nice of VM to lie about it.

I am very tempted to do a screenshot of the beta forum and post it to prove it was reported.

It is not limited to IE8 either or even limited to browsing.

That post seems nothing more then to try and do damage control on PR by pretending its a very isolated issued which wasnt reported in beta testing.

VM may have just learned the hard way if going to be supplying router's then no matter how isolated bug reports seem they should all be investigated.

General Maximus
15-04-2011, 08:44
"this issue is only happening while the Super Hub's firewall is turned off and with IE8. This issue isn't present with the firewall turned on"

So the important message to take away from this is that it is obviously the users fault. If we werent so bloody awkward and had the firewall turned on or used another browser we wouldn't have this problem, so it serves us right :LOL:

zekeisaszekedoes
15-04-2011, 13:30
Lame. It's getting towards dealbreaker, move to another provider stage, as even with modem mode it's probably still going to be a bug-ridden piece of poop.

BenMcr
15-04-2011, 15:22
Feedback thread for R25 http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-Feedback-Thread/m-p/447527

Helix
15-04-2011, 15:37
Feedback thread for R25 http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-Feedback-Thread/m-p/447527

Finally, only took them over a week. Shame the community site seems to have now gone into meltdown and takes 5 mins to load each page. I will give my feedback later if they manage to fix things, or maybe its just yet another issue with the superhub.

Chrysalis
15-04-2011, 15:41
what has came about is bridge mode is now almost certianly delayed, the beta testers have been told fixing the new bug is priority over bridge mode. I dont think both will be done at once.

Helix
15-04-2011, 15:45
what has came about is bridge mode is now almost certianly delayed, the beta testers have been told fixing the new bug is priority over bridge mode. I dont think both will be done at once.

I noticed that any mention of a date seems to have been missing for a while. It used to say when it was going to go out to testing and then general release (I think it was April for testing and May for general release - or it may have been May and June I can't remember).

General Maximus
15-04-2011, 19:05
or it may have been May and June I can't remember).

I think we just all need to accept the fact that it just ain't gonna never work

pip08456
15-04-2011, 23:05

And yet when problems first surfaced we were told bridge mode would be the priority.

Glad I'm offski!!!

craigj2k12
09-05-2011, 21:00
just seen on the VM forums from Mark_Wilkin

I'll also be inviting some of you to the Super Hub Modem Mode firmware trial before the end of May to double check if that improves the situation for those of you using a Super Hub.

General Maximus
09-05-2011, 21:41
that says it all:

"improves the situation"

craigj2k12
09-05-2011, 21:59
that says it all:

"improves the situation"

well ignition says there is a new superhub on the way so bridge mode is irrelevant

Mick Fisher
09-05-2011, 22:32
well ignition says there is a new superhub on the way so bridge mode is irrelevant
Oh goody, more junk to add to my collection. :)

Let's see what's in this large jiffy bag under my desk. Ah yes 1 x media hub, which incidentally worked quite well and 1 x ambit 250 which also worked well. Still plenty of room for a netgear superdud. :D

craigj2k12
09-05-2011, 23:28
Oh goody, more junk to add to my collection. :)

Let's see what's in this large jiffy bag under my desk. Ah yes 1 x media hub, which incidentally worked quite well and 1 x ambit 250 which also worked well. Still plenty of room for a netgear superdud. :D

you can put the Netgear superhub there, as the new superhub won't be made by netgear

Stephen
10-05-2011, 00:10
you can put the Netgear superhub there, as the new superhub won't be made by netgear

What makes you think that?

BenMcr
10-05-2011, 00:20

There isn't a 'new' SuperHub on the way, and bridge mode is still relevent for those that want it

General Maximus
10-05-2011, 08:43
I dont think the fact that Netgear made thr first one was the issue, it was just a half assed job rushed through without any proper testing.

craigj2k12
10-05-2011, 09:15
There isn't a 'new' SuperHub on the way, and bridge mode is still relevent for those that want it

i agree bridge mode is relevant for those stuck with the netgear turd

whats on the way then, there was some speculation in another thread...

Ignitionnet
10-05-2011, 09:45
What makes you think that?

The new device has already been commissioned, manufacturer selected, cash spent on development, etc.

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

There isn't a 'new' SuperHub on the way

You may want to ask the relevant people Ben. Or wait a few months for it to hit testing.

BenMcr
10-05-2011, 09:48
I know exactly what is coming and it's not a 'new' SuperHub. It's the same technical spec as the current one, just from a different supplier

VMRocks
10-05-2011, 09:54
Anyone know how to jump on board this beta test? Had my superhub for a few months now and it's running like a dream, wired and wirelessly on 1 pc and 2 laptops, would love to partake in future developments etc...

Thanks...

pip08456
10-05-2011, 10:02
Anyone know how to jump on board this beta test? Had my superhub for a few months now and it's running like a dream, wired and wirelessly on 1 pc and 2 laptops, would love to partake in future developments etc...

Thanks...

Keep checking the VM website for Mark to ask for testers then apply.

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

I know exactly what is coming and it's not a 'new' SuperHub. It's the same technical spec as the current one, just from a different supplier

The tech specs may be the same, the outside appearence may be the same. Essentially the guts of it will be new, the firmware better and reliability, wireless and throughput better.

Be nice to know who the new manufacturer will be.

Ignitionnet
10-05-2011, 13:00

Don't think I suggested otherwise, the Superhub is pretty much a reference design after all. Doesn't change that the current revision is made by Netgear, the new one isn't. That it will have firmware written at gunpoint with summary execution for failure is a bonus.

I have defended the Superhub's hardware, it's good! Netgear's firmware is garbage. It's like taking a 128 bit processor and having it run 8 bit code.

craigj2k12
10-05-2011, 13:24

that, to me, is a new superhub

Welshchris
10-05-2011, 14:01
i wonder if they are switching back to Ambit lol

BenMcr
10-05-2011, 17:10
that, to me, is a new superhubBoth will be in the supply chain at the same time, so which one you get will not be something you can choose

_wtf_
10-05-2011, 17:23
Both will be in the supply chain at the same time, so which one you get will not be something you can choose

Unless you phone a certain Mr. Berkett's office :D:D:D

BenMcr
10-05-2011, 17:28
Unless you phone a certain Mr. Berkett's office :D:D:DBy the time the 'other' SuperHub launches, then bridge mode will be available, so there wouldn't be a need to swap one version of the SuperHub for the other

The only reason CEOs are doing swap outs at the moment is because bridge mode isn't available on the SuperHub. Once bridge mode comes, there won't be a need for them to swap SuperHubs for standalone modems either

Chrysalis
10-05-2011, 17:38
I dont think the fact that Netgear made thr first one was the issue, it was just a half assed job rushed through without any proper testing.

its part of it, netgear is easily the worst brand router I have used, I have seen it across 3 different routers. I agree tho they not normally as bad as the superhub turned out to be but they certianly below par.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

The new device has already been commissioned, manufacturer selected, cash spent on development, etc.

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

You may want to ask the relevant people Ben. Or wait a few months for it to hit testing.

cue ben, nopanic, masque telling us they kept fully informed of every VM business decision, contracts cant be cancelled etc.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

that makes it a new superhub. Just because it will look the same externally and (may) have the same feature set it doesnt make it not a new device. Different internals, different firmware its essentially a mark II superhub.

zekeisaszekedoes
10-05-2011, 22:31
I have defended the Superhub's hardware, it's good! Netgear's firmware is garbage. It's like taking a 128 bit processor and having it run 8 bit code.

I don't know, playing Pacman (8) on a PS2 (128 via EE) is still kinda fun. :p:

craigj2k12
10-05-2011, 23:05
the hardware is all good, apart from the wireless, the only thing wrong is its terrible range, and the crappy netgear firmware, apart from that its an alright device

Peter_
11-05-2011, 05:56
i wonder if they are switching back to Ambit lol
No.

---------- Post added at 05:56 ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 ----------

Unless you phone a certain Mr. Berkett's office :D:D:D
You would just be sent a superhub and you would get the one picked of the shelf as they would look the same, so a pointless post.:rolleyes:;)

_wtf_
11-05-2011, 07:18
You would just be sent a superhub and you would get the one picked of the shelf as they would look the same, so a pointless post.:rolleyes:;)

Bit like your posts really don't you think? I mean you don't really add anything to the threads other than your SuperHub works fine and VM are the best. Oh and your other little gem, telling people phoning the CEO won't get you anywhere when clearly it does!

Peter_
11-05-2011, 07:58
Bit like your posts really don't you think? I mean you don't really add anything to the threads other than your SuperHub works fine and VM are the best. Oh and your other little gem, telling people phoning the CEO won't get you anywhere when clearly it does!
Very soon the will be no VMNG300 modems left so not pointless.

But then again you dislike the truth.:rolleyes:

philce
11-05-2011, 12:41
its part of it, netgear is easily the worst brand router I have used, I have seen it across 3 different routers. I agree tho they not normally as bad as the superhub turned out to be but they certianly below par.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

cue ben, nopanic, masque telling us they kept fully informed of every VM business decision, contracts cant be cancelled etc.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

that makes it a new superhub. Just because it will look the same externally and (may) have the same feature set it doesnt make it not a new device. Different internals, different firmware its essentially a mark II superhub.

Just like trying to get a specific make of Sky box, have a look at the Sky forums, they have just the same problems.

There will be differences between the two boxes, otherwise they would both just say Netgear on he front?

craigj2k12
11-05-2011, 13:32
the current superhub says netgear on the back, the new one wont be made by netgear so at i guess i would say that it would have something different on the back

Welshchris
11-05-2011, 14:49
if they had stuck to Ambit instead of pottering around after the year they had spent sorting out the issues on the VMNG300s then none of this would be happening.

pip08456
11-05-2011, 15:12
Nah! That's to simple Chris.:D:D

Sirius
11-05-2011, 15:52

Pot = kettle if you ask me.

This is your idea of adding to a debate.

Perhaps the PC versions of these games are not using P2P, it's the only way I can see that you're not having problems after all we ALL know VM throttle P2P traffic which most games use.

Or perhaps if you're a VM staff member you don't get throttled so you can go onto forums and tell everyone honestly that you're not having problems.

Or perhaps some of the people not having problems are actually talking BS.

Peter_
11-05-2011, 16:33
Oh and your other little gem, telling people phoning the CEO won't get you anywhere when clearly it does!
Once again you show how little that you know about other posters as I have posted the CEO's email address on many an occasion when people are struggling to find it.

What I find annoying is people whose first reaction is to call or email the CEO's office in the first instance rather than following the normal process, these people should be told ring the relevant department first in order for the issue to be logged correctly on the system, and if this has not been done then they should be told to go down the correct channels to ensure that the is a history of their issue.

Welshchris
11-05-2011, 16:58
Nah! That's to simple Chris.:D:D

yeah they would rather let money flow through their fingers like water.

pip08456
11-05-2011, 17:26
Once again you show how little that you know about other posters as I have posted the CEO's email address on many an occasion when people are struggling to find it.

What I find annoying is people whose first reaction is to call or email the CEO's office in the first instance rather than following the normal process, these people should be told ring the relevant department first in order for the issue to be logged correctly on the system, and if this has not been done then they should be told to go down the correct channels to ensure that the is a history of their issue.

I agree with you that the CEO's office should be the line of last resort after trying every other option BUT.

It is only the CEO's office which will supply the VMNG300 as long as it is available and leaves no other option to get one other to contact them.

Sort of contradicts itself.

What also annoys me is staffers continually posting that "Mine's OK so there's nothing wrong with it" or "they're like hens teeth!" ad nauseum.

_wtf_
11-05-2011, 17:39
What also annoys me is staffers continually posting that "Mine's OK so there's nothing wrong with it" or "they're like hens teeth!" ad nauseum.

The scary bit is they don't see anything wrong with the CEO having to do customer support!!!

Sirius
11-05-2011, 17:45
The scary bit is they don't see anything wrong with the CEO having to do customer support!!!

There you go again taring everyone with the same brush. If you have a problem with the way someone posts something have the guts to name the person instead of using a catch all post ;)

Flipant remarks and your the master of them.

Hugh
11-05-2011, 17:46
The scary thing is that you think he does....:D

It will be his support staff, not him.

Peter_
11-05-2011, 17:48
Exactly what customer support do you mean as I can already guess that you are wrong again but will be interested to see how you answer that.

_wtf_
11-05-2011, 17:53
The scary thing is that you think he does....:D

It will be his support staff, not him.

Yeah, should have said CEO's office

Stephen
11-05-2011, 19:12
CEO complaints are meant to be a last resort when every other option has been exhausted however some people on here seem to be contacting the CEO office as a first option just because they don't like the superhub.

Peter_
11-05-2011, 19:27
CEO complaints are meant to be a last resort when every other option has been exhausted however some people on here seem to be contacting the CEO office as a first option just because they don't like the superhub.
Those people should be kicked back to technical support so that any issues can be officially logged with evidence and anyone trying to avoid the process should be told if the is no evidence trail then no one can help until it exists.

This kind of attitude is unfair as it hogs up resources that could be helping other customers with more serious issues.

Welshchris
11-05-2011, 19:28

Even then they dont like dealing with the public. During the what is now well documented Motorola BSR problem the usual guy i was dealing with was on holiday and i recieved an email from a college of his asking to contact him. I telephoned and was told he was unavailable and he would ring me back. I then recieved a call back from what turned out to be the guy in the CEO office that deals with people who owe lot of money and legal disputes and so on and he was very rude and wouldnt listen to the fact that it was an ongoing issue and i had been asked to contact all he told me that i was a nusence and if i didnt like the service to go elsewhere at which point i lost my temper and threatened to break his nose and as u can imagine it went down hill from there. He refused outright to listen to why i was ringing and i had been asked to etc.

Skie
11-05-2011, 19:48
If offshore weren't so shockingly useless the CEO's office would probably be a quiet place.

craigj2k12
11-05-2011, 20:26
If offshore weren't so shockingly useless the CEO's office would probably be a quiet place.

i think VM should have closed their offshore call centres instead of their UK one

Stephen
11-05-2011, 20:37
i think VM should have closed their offshore call centres instead of their UK one

VM haven't closed their UK call centres though.

craigj2k12
11-05-2011, 20:40

i said instead of their UK one :)

Stephen
11-05-2011, 20:41
Which one?

Sirius
11-05-2011, 20:41
Which one?

:LOL: indeed

craigj2k12
11-05-2011, 20:54
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33677345-virgin-media-trowbridge-call-centre-close.html

okay, whatever, its not closing, more merging, and its not complete, but they should be scrapping the off-shores if they are trying to satisfy customers more

Chrysalis
11-05-2011, 21:00

if its for a vmng300 they have no choice as its the only method available.

Incidently today I noticed my VM line doesnt work, no ideal how long for as is rarely used, I didnt ring the CEO office up for it instead I rang basic tech support and got a tech arranged.

Stephen
11-05-2011, 21:58
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33677345-virgin-media-trowbridge-call-centre-close.html

okay, whatever, its not closing, more merging, and its not complete, but they should be scrapping the off-shores if they are trying to satisfy customers more

That is a Virgin Mobile call centre though not a Virgin Media one.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Incidently today I noticed my VM line doesnt work, no ideal how long for as is rarely used, I didnt ring the CEO office up for it instead I rang basic tech support and got a tech arranged.

If you have an issue with the superhub then you should be contacting tech support to try and get help and sort it out before contacting them just to try and get a modem.

Peter_
11-05-2011, 22:22

If you had clicked my link in that thread then you would have seen that it was a Virgin Mobile call centre and that the jobs are being transferred to Wythenshawe.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

Not really acceptable as a first port of call just because you have a Superhub or do not want a Superhub installed, as I have already said unless you have followed process and and have a history of fault calls you should be referred back to technical support as the issue may not be the Superhub and a VMNG300 may not resolve the issue.

Soon the cupboard will be bare and what will people do then.:rolleyes:

Chrysalis
12-05-2011, 01:05
That is a Virgin Mobile call centre though not a Virgin Media one.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

If you have an issue with the superhub then you should be contacting tech support to try and get help and sort it out before contacting them just to try and get a modem.

we been over this many times over this on this forum, to summarise tech support are incapable of dealing with various superhub issues. Lack of ways to log bugs and lack of training/understanding from them on firmware etc. Tech support also cannot send out a vmng300, I said that directly in my post yet you either deliberatly or accidently ignored that point by saying should ring tech support.

However VM should open extra channels that allow a modem been sent out then the CEO office would have a lower workload because I agree its a poor way of using their time to send out modems.

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

If you had clicked my link in that thread then you would have seen that it was a Virgin Mobile call centre and that the jobs are being transferred to Wythenshawe.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

Not really acceptable as a first port of call just because you have a Superhub or do not want a Superhub installed, as I have already said unless you have followed process and and have a history of fault calls you should be referred back to technical support as the issue may not be the Superhub and a VMNG300 may not resolve the issue.

Soon the cupboard will be bare and what will people do then.:rolleyes:

such a policy would lose customers and would be rather silly. The fact only the CEO office can send out modems is silly in itself. The superhub is so bad VM are starting a new supply chain for it yet continue to make it the only CPE available.

You also continue to spin the no stock story yet have no basis for it.

Stephen
12-05-2011, 01:09
I ignored nothing in your post, I stated the correct processes for faults with BB/equipment.

The small issues some people have with the superhub can be investigated and maybe try a new superhub and then and only once all attempts to sort it have failed should you be contacting the CEO team who will possibly consider sending a modem if there is nothing else that can be done.

VM are trying to stop the wide use of modems on new installs so its to be a last resort to get one. Also tech support can't send modems are they aren't supposed to, its not part of their job.

However you should not be actively telling people on the forum to contact the CEO team and ask for a modem.

Fundamentally the superhub is a great bit of kit and for most people works brilliantly with little or no issues. Its not useless as you so claim.

Chrysalis
12-05-2011, 01:33
I am not telling anyone to specifically to ask for a modem however I am telling people how to get one when they want one, there is a clear difference.

If someone wants a modem its wrong to tell them instead they cant get one.

Sadly in VM's case their process doesnt work as far as the superhubs are concerned. It works partially on the forums but not over the phone.

Your last line sounds like a sales pitch and is embarrasing. There is so much evidence that contradicts it.

Peter_
12-05-2011, 07:54
However VM should open extra channels that allow a modem been sent out then the CEO office would have a lower workload because I agree its a poor way of using their time to send out modems.

You also continue to spin the no stock story yet have no basis for it.
From launch the VMNG300 modem was only ever able to be replaced by an engineer as we never had the permissions to send one out unlike every other modem or router.

So how would it now suddenly become possible for us to send out the VMNG300 as it has never been a stock item on Kuene and Nagel's shelves? as that is the company that holds our stock.

The CEO's office sources them from elsewhere.

As I have stated many times due to the VMNG300 modem being superseded by the Superhub any stock left of the VMNG300 can only ever be finite as they are no longer manufactured, so even if you get one sent out and it works what happens when it develops a fault as the is no direct replacement for it and if we send out a technician he can only swap it for a Superhub.

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 08:16
:LOL: indeed

This your idea of adding to the debate?

Stephen
12-05-2011, 08:40
Well your post hardly adds anything to the thread either!

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 08:41
Well your post hardly adds anything to the thread either!

But I don't pull people up on it :D

Stephen
12-05-2011, 08:46
I am not telling anyone to specifically to ask for a modem however I am telling people how to get one when they want one, there is a clear difference.

If someone wants a modem its wrong to tell them instead they cant get one.

Sadly in VM's case their process doesnt work as far as the superhubs are concerned. It works partially on the forums but not over the phone.

Your last line sounds like a sales pitch and is embarrasing. There is so much evidence that contradicts it.

Thre is nothing embarrassing about my post at all.

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

You just did :rolleyes:

Helix
12-05-2011, 10:51
Would be helpful if VM stuck to the timescales they give or at least update them, when they over-run. The announcement on the Community forums still states early May, which gives them 3 days.

I know people have been saying that it has been delayed until June, but I can't see any announcement of that in the forums.

Sirius
12-05-2011, 11:44

Then you should not accuse them of lying

In reponse to my post you posted

Perhaps the PC versions of these games are not using P2P, it's the only way I can see that you're not having problems after all we ALL know VM throttle P2P traffic which most games use.

Or perhaps if you're a VM staff member you don't get throttled so you can go onto forums and tell everyone honestly that you're not having problems.

Or perhaps some of the people not having problems are actually talking BS.

I would class that as saying i was lying. So from now on every time you post hearsay or flippant remarks i will remind you :)

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 13:06
So from now on every time you post hearsay or flippant remarks i will remind you :)

Thank you bet ya get fed up before I do :D

Just noticed you only got involved in this thread when I replied to Masque's usual rubbish :D :p: :shocked:

Peter_
12-05-2011, 13:17

Just noticed you only got involved in this thread when I replied to Masque's usual rubbish :D :p: :shocked:
I think that you will find that you are the one spouting rubbish when oddly enough I talk about actual facts.

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 13:28
Would one of them facts be that all new installs are SuperHub only? If so can you explain how someone I know has had an install last week with a VMNG300?

Would another of those facts be that there's nothing wrong with the SuperHub even though there's updates being pushed out without even being thoroughly tested and that there is a new SuperHub in development?

Would another of those facts be that phoning the CEO's Office will get you nowhere when it does.

Ignitionnet
12-05-2011, 13:31
Last few pages of this thread really don't do anyone any favours.

Incidentally...

Are you employed by Virgin Media Stephen?

Hugh
12-05-2011, 13:34
Could posters focus more on the topic, and less on baiting others

Peter_
12-05-2011, 13:35
Would one of them facts be that all new installs are SuperHub only? If so can you explain how someone I know has had an install last week with a VMNG300?
Well I would not want to be that technician if it is found out that he has installed a VMNG300 as the should be none available to them any more so he is taking a risk installing that kit.

Would another of those facts be that phoning the CEO's Office will get you nowhere when it does.
Can you please point out any post where I have said anything a long those lines as I expect that you are imagining it.:rolleyes:

If you are ringing for a first time issue or just to beg a VMNG300 from them then without any history on your account you should be told to go through the correct process as they are not there to nursemaid you.

Sirius
12-05-2011, 14:44

Maybe because you posted your usual rubbish in reply :D

To be honest i cannot wait for modem mode to be enabled because you will then have to find something else to complain about.

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 14:57
I don't have a SuperHub :D

pip08456
12-05-2011, 16:13
I don't have a SuperHub :D

If you don't have a superhub then you can't really voice an opinion on it.

Helix
12-05-2011, 19:57
An update on bridge mode had been made, a limited test is due to happen next week and then they are looking to roll it out to all beta testers the following week.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Super-Hub-Firmware-Trial/Ok-It-s-May-Where-s-My-Bridge-Mode/td-p/482237

zekeisaszekedoes
12-05-2011, 20:08
Good luck to the remaining beta testers who finally get the bridge mode. I'll be keeping my eye on the pages here and over at the hidden VM forum. Hopefully it'll turn out alright, but I think it's going to be a long while before even just the modem side of the Super Hub matches up to their older CPEs.

Sirius
12-05-2011, 20:19

Have to agree with that logic :tu:.

How can someone who does not have a hub complain about the hub ;)

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 20:24

Perhaps a phone call was made to the CEO's Office :D

Phil-ntl
12-05-2011, 20:25
looks like i'm going to be getting the R27 pre beta

Hi we're close to releasing R27 to the general beta testing group but we'd like to run a small scale test before we do that just to increase our confidence that the firmware doesn't have any show stoppers in it. Can you confirm that you're still happy to test R27 for us and that you'll be able to provide feedback over the next week?

Will post any thoughts & findings on it as soon as i've had chance to have a play.

Phil

Peter_
12-05-2011, 20:28
I have never noticed him actually voicing an opinion.:D

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 20:31
I have never noticed him actually voicing an opinion.:D

Thank you ;)

Sirius
12-05-2011, 20:35
Perhaps a phone call was made to the CEO's Office :D

Does not surprise me.

Peter_
12-05-2011, 20:37
Thank you ;)
That is because you are a detractor and do like want to hear other peoples opinions even when they are correct. ;)

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 20:46
Does not surprise me.

It must do otherwise your previous post just makes you look silly

You know this one.

Welshchris
12-05-2011, 20:47
all this talk about a new superhub coming along, if its not from Ambit or Netgear who is it from? I know its the same spec as the netgear one but what is the point of having 2 hubs of the same spec from different manufacturers?

Surely it would have just been easier to carry on Supplying the VMNG300 for a modem only option or superhub for those who didnt have a router and wanted wireless.

BenMcr
12-05-2011, 20:58
but what is the point of having 2 hubs of the same spec from different manufacturers?It's called not putting all your eggs in one basket. By having two suppliers it means Virgin are less likely to run short at any stage due to supply chain issues

Surely it would have just been easier to carry on Supplying the VMNG300 for a modem only option or superhub for those who didnt have a router and wanted wirelessNot really.

Sirius
12-05-2011, 21:19
It must do otherwise your previous post just makes you look silly

Not as silly as you accusing another poster of lying about the fact he does not have a problem with gaming on his pc. Then ranting on about evidence on another forum which ultimately covers issues raised with XBOX gaming not pc. :LOL:

Anyway your boring me now. There are far better threads to read and take part in.

Welshchris
12-05-2011, 21:44
It's called not putting all your eggs in one basket. By having two suppliers it means Virgin are less likely to run short at any stage due to supply chain issues

Not really.

Why do u mean not really?

it would solve a lot of things.

They would have 2 suppliers Both Ambit and Netgear + it would solve the complaints about a lot of functions are missing that people use in routers that are not on the hubs.

I think its stupid to spend so much time and effort developing firmware for the VMNG300s to simply say well lets toss these aside and use hardware that has firmware problems again and put us back to square 1.

BenMcr
12-05-2011, 21:56
Why do u mean not really?I mean not really.

it would solve a lot of things.No it wouldn't. Producing VMNG300 modems for a small set of users would be expensive, because you wouldn't have the scale of production that Virgin previously had.

Also you would then have to have processes and codes and training from order to install to include a 'What equipment do you want' step - which again would cost

Long term you would then have to design any future products or services knowing that two seperate types of kit may be supplied to a customer - again a cost that is avoidable.

They would have 2 suppliers Both Ambit and Netgear + it would solve the complaints about a lot of functions are missing that people use in routers that are not on the hubs.This is why the modem only mode is being introduced, so those that want to use their own kit can do so - solving the issue for good (I hope)

I think its stupid to spend so much time and effort developing firmware for the VMNG300s to simply say well lets toss these aside and use hardware that has firmware problems again and put us back to square 1.They aren't 'tossing the hardware aside' they have just elected not to make any more of them. Just as they stopped using Motorola Surfboard or Scientific Atlanta modems, or older versions of Ambit modems

Technology moves on.

_wtf_
12-05-2011, 22:12
Not as silly as you accusing another poster of lying about the fact he does not have a problem with gaming on his pc. Then ranting on about evidence on another forum which ultimately covers issues raised with XBOX gaming not pc. :LOL:

Anyway your boring me now. There are far better threads to read and take part in.

I thought you were gonna post stalk me :(

Chrysalis
12-05-2011, 22:32
looks like my superhub will be plugged in again soon as am also picked.

zekeisaszekedoes
12-05-2011, 23:37
No it wouldn't. Producing VMNG300 modems for a small set of users would be expensive, because you wouldn't have the scale of production that Virgin previously had.

Then go back into mass production. A lot of areas aren't even 100Mb capable yet (and even when they are a majority are happy enough with 10Mb or 30Mb), so those modems will be fine for another couple of years. Case in point: I've only just retired my Ambit 250. After six years of service and several speed upgrades.

Also you would then have to have processes and codes and training from order to install to include a 'What equipment do you want' step - which again would cost

I'm sorry - are you inferring that people previously trained in the deployment of the VMNG300 and still working for VM have spontaneously forgotten how these things work?

That aside, the beauty of the thing is it's simplicity. The web GUI is simpler than the Ambit 250/256 it replaced in part. It does what it needs to do and doesn't need rebooting all the time when on certain UBRs. Which the Super Hub can't claim to do. I mean, in my experience it doesn't even work properly as a non-DHCP switch!

Long term you would then have to design any future products or services knowing that two seperate types of kit may be supplied to a customer - again a cost that is avoidable.

Better two types of kit in case one works and the other doesn't, than pinning all hopes to just one which works fine in some areas but not others, before even considering the possibility that there are manufacturing faults which VM have more or less admitted to by saying they're keeping the same black curve case yet having someone else manufacture the innards. If the design is changed in any way, technically that means there is a Super Hub Mk I and a Super Hub Mk II - exactly the sort of avoidable cost that you alluded to is what VM are heading towards.

This is why the modem only mode is being introduced, so those that want to use their own kit can do so - solving the issue for good (I hope)

A feature that was available in R25 with SSH, but was then dummied out for no good reason. I still fail to see the logic of removing a feature a lot of users wanted then adding it back again months later. It stands to reason the people having significant problems with the Super Hub would be able to follow a "Enable Bridge Mode on your Super Hub" post on VM's community forum and would have headed off a lot of people moaning that it still isn't here, in the middle of May. It's VM digging themselves a deeper hole and doing things so lacking in common sense heads could explode.

Technology moves on.

You know, I've seen this lame excuse proffered by many people suckered into the common "newer = automatically better" technology arms race. The same kind of people who would replace a perfectly good Macbook Pro with another only incrementally better, not because they need the extra power but because they've been brainwashed into the conspicuous consumption cycle which is totally at odds with the current, valid interest in minimising carbon footprints and all that pseudo-hippie stuff that actually makes a lot of sense. It's a dinosaur mentality, and those that cling to it deserve to go the same way.

(Sorry, my sense of theatricality got the better of me there. You've gotta admit though, it makes for more entertaining reading.)

Chrysalis
12-05-2011, 23:48
its clear the superhub has been expensive for VM, so I find it baffling the costs argument is still been pushed.

zekeisaszekedoes
12-05-2011, 23:59
Standard corporate blanketing, Chrys. They'd do well to hire more no-nonsense types rather than those so adept at spinning that they should take a second job as a pinwheel.

Failswitch
13-05-2011, 01:11
all this talk about a new superhub coming along, if its not from Ambit or Netgear who is it from? I know its the same spec as the netgear one but what is the point of having 2 hubs of the same spec from different manufacturers?

Surely it would have just been easier to carry on Supplying the VMNG300 for a modem only option or superhub for those who didnt have a router and wanted wireless.

Lets hope it's Linksys

Sirius
13-05-2011, 07:08
Lets hope it's LinksysI like linksys kit :tu:

Jon T
13-05-2011, 08:11
I like linksys kit :tu:

You mean Cisco :D

Stephen
13-05-2011, 09:39
its clear the superhub has been expensive for VM, so I find it baffling the costs argument is still been pushed.
Is it?

Chrysalis
13-05-2011, 09:57
in denial till the end.

Peter_
13-05-2011, 10:02
in denial till the end.
Why not email Neil Berkett direct and see if he can answer you as you refuse to believe anyone on here.

Stephen
13-05-2011, 10:07
in denial till the end.
No that is a river in Egypt ;)

Simply asking to to explain your post and where you got that info from?

Chrysalis
13-05-2011, 10:19
Why not email Neil Berkett direct and see if he can answer you as you refuse to believe anyone on here.

answer what?

---------- Post added at 10:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

email sent.

I have asked him why you all posting here during working hours in a claimed unoffical manner so I assume not authorised by your managers.

Peter_
13-05-2011, 10:24
answer what?

email sent.

I have asked him why you all posting here during working hours in a claimed unoffical manner so I assume not authorised by your managers.

About us being in denial.;)

Such a nice person all because we disagree with you that you try to be big and clever and the big I AM.