PDA

View Full Version : Superhub N USB wireless adapter Mac addess

gallego1
14-03-2011, 23:33
Hi

I received my 'free' usb wireless adapter for the 50m service with superhub but I cannot get them to connect to each other

Message says invalid mac address

I took mac address from USB adapter, usb adapter set up screen and also ipconfig/all which are all the same and ensured many times I typed the correct info also the WPS service times out and cannot connect

any ideas on how to get this to work together

thanks

andy

BenMcr
14-03-2011, 23:41
You shouldn't need to do anything with the MAC address of the USB adapter? Where you trying to enter it?

gallego1
15-03-2011, 06:28
HI Ben
I am entering it in my mac address section as using WPS dosent connect automatically nor does using the Pin so I thought would try to add it to my allow list to see if it will connect then

I use mac filtering for wireless devices

BenMcr
15-03-2011, 10:46
Turn the MAC filtering off, then connect the device using WPS, and you should then be in position to turn it back on

I think you are in a Catch 22 situation at the mo. You can't add it to the MAC filtering because the Hub has never seen the MAC address before, and you can't add it to the Hub as you have MAC filtering on

gallego1
15-03-2011, 11:26
Hi Ben

I will try that when I am back home at the weekend thanks for the info

AndyCalling
15-03-2011, 13:41
You may also want to consider why you're using MAC filtering. Anyone who can't get past that would have no chance of getting around your encryption anyway, and anyone who could get through your encryption would go through MAC filtering like a hot knife through butter, so it does nothing to enhance your security. You'll be telling us you hide your SSID for security reasons next! Dump the MAC filtering and your problem is gone.

qasdfdsaq
16-03-2011, 02:35
AndyCalling is correct, MAC filtering is pretty much useless

General Maximus
16-03-2011, 08:34
MAC filtering is pretty much useless

how come?

qasdfdsaq
16-03-2011, 09:40
Read the post above mine I was referring to.

General Maximus
16-03-2011, 17:48
i know, i was asking why mac filtering is useless? I know it is possible to clone mac address but somebody would still need to know which addresses are registered with the router. How would they find that out?

qasdfdsaq
17-03-2011, 00:16
Easily. Any device connected to the router transmits it's MAC address every time it communicates, which can be hundreds of times per second.