PDA

View Full Version : Technetix Ingress Safe? Explain please

craigj2k12
12-03-2011, 22:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2TWoxLIr98

seems to reduce noise, would this help for gaming in terms of ping and jitter

http://www.technetix.com/technologies/technologies-ingresssafe.html
the link to it on the technetix website

i dont really know what the thing is on the youtube video that is being measured on the graph, it looks to be noise, with the device on it seems to be a lot steadier, which looks like it is stabilising the connection, maybe reducing jitter?

can someone explain this to me

thanks

General Maximus
12-03-2011, 22:39
from the looks of the website it is too do with noise reduction but to be honest I need to play devil's advocate here.

VM always spout that 95% of customers only use a fraction of their bandwidth, so providing a pure and clean (for want of a better phrase) connection isnt a neccessity as far as they are concerned. Plus, why try and give people a better quality connection for increased performance when VM cant even cope with the throughput on the network as it is now?

craigj2k12
12-03-2011, 22:58
so, to make it effective, all VM customers would need to have it? would it make a difference to my connection if I put it on?

also, why are virgin so lousy when it comes to connection quality, they brag about speeds and even about gaming on their product descriptions, but when is this a reality?

qasdfdsaq
12-03-2011, 23:08
It wouldn't make a difference to the network's underlying ping and jitter, however it may reduce errors and retries which could manifest as additional jitter.

That said unless you're seeing high numbers of uncorrectable errors it's unlikely to see a difference. Cable modems and CMTS' are designed to deal with various levels of background noise, it's a normal part of operation. A perfectly clean signal is not required for normal, full speed operation.

craigj2k12
12-03-2011, 23:11
A perfectly clean signal is not required for normal, full speed operation

not required? but would i see a difference?

qasdfdsaq
12-03-2011, 23:29
It wouldn't make a difference to the network's underlying ping and jitter, however it may reduce errors and retries which could manifest as additional jitter.

That said unless you're seeing high numbers of uncorrectable errors it's unlikely to see a difference. Cable modems and CMTS' are designed to deal with various levels of background noise, it's a normal part of operation. A perfectly clean signal is not required for normal, full speed operation.

General Maximus
13-03-2011, 09:08
talking to yourself isn't a good sign dude ;)

Kymmy
13-03-2011, 09:27
not required? but would i see a difference?

Look at your modem stats, if you see errors then something like this may be help but you'll be masking the real problem..

If no errors then it's not going to help at all..

Using a product like this is like (for a better analogy) putting an gold plated connector on a bad TV signal when you know that your co-ax or antenna needs replacing..

craigj2k12
13-03-2011, 11:45
Well I get the full 50mb so that's no problem.

the main problem is jitter. Pingtest.net says between 5ms and 15ms. But this is working out the average difference in jitter. In truth the results on CMS go something like 18 19 22 18 23 81 43 20 16 32 17 22 24 180 87 20 etc, with spikes to high numbers. This makes it naff to play online games as one minute its okay and the next minute you've moved 10metres and your dead.

If the ingress safe reduces these spikes. I.e. So I really do only get 5ms jitter then that would be great. I'd be happy if I got pings varying between 15 and 25. Anything above 30ms is 'undesirable', anything in excess of 50ms is just rubbish

qasdfdsaq
13-03-2011, 17:42
VM are the worst ISP in the UK for jitter, that's well known now. What you can do about it is limited.

Like I've said twice already, unless your jitter is due to high numbers of uncorrectable errors there's nothing you can do about it.

Chrysalis
14-03-2011, 12:14
interesting clip but doesnt say much with no sound.

with the new splitter it only improved when he plugged in both cables.

also every VM modem I have had has never shown error stats.

pip08456
14-03-2011, 16:49
I fail to see how it can make any difference whatsoever. If there is noise on either the upstream or downstream before the splitter you can put any gadget in and it won't change things.