PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Engineers, superhubs and blue lights..

Blackened
09-03-2011, 13:11
Would love the expert's take on this please.

Sometime this morning I lost connectivity to the net and the 'online' light on the V+ box was flashing. I thought that looks like an outage, but called VM after it didn't right itself. Went though some tests with the call centre and the outcome was my superhub is fried and needs a tech visit. Since then, I've resumed connectivity - albeit somewhat erratic (where it is always, always stable) - and the online light on the V+ box is solid again.
What's bugging me is the solid>flashing>solid>flashing of the top blue light which I promise has _always_ been just solid before this outage. I read it signifies a gigabit connection, that it signifies DOCSIS3 over 2, that flashing signifies traffic etc so who knows why it's been solid for weeks and now isn't.
I'm hard-wired into the hub from the PC and the port LED on the back is usually green. Now, it's out, not even orange, and I still have an outside connection.
I've an engineer booked for tomorrow as the call centre say it's not responding and showing as offline.

Superhub borked or does it stink of network issues?

Peter_
09-03-2011, 13:25
Can you access the superhub status pages and post ther power levels.

The top light should always flash as it indicates data is being transferred to and from the network.

Chrysalis
09-03-2011, 13:40
The top blue light indicates docsis3 connectivity, I assume the flashing correlates with activity on the line. Mine is always flashing and never solid.

The middle light I believe is the ethernet status light and bottom is wireless.

Blackened
09-03-2011, 13:49
Thanks both.

Here's the levels.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2423/levelsz.th.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2423/levelsz.jpg)

As I say, the blue light has always been solid. I know this coz I can see it from the sofa and if it had been blinking like it is now it would have drove me insane!

hwangeruk
09-03-2011, 14:09
My blue light is also SOLID.
My superhub often stops responding, we just power cycle it.
(Ironically its why I came to the forum, to see if as yet, Virgin will let us have a plain DOCSIS 3 modem, and I get my own Wireless Bridge - ie: something reliable with decent firmware and features)

I hate they have combined the modem and router.

Blackened
09-03-2011, 14:12
My blue light is also SOLID.

Welcome, brother. I fear we are a unique and lonesome breed.

v0id
09-03-2011, 14:32
A solid blue light means you're not using the internet enough :D

Blackened
09-03-2011, 14:45
I wish mate! ;)

techguyone
09-03-2011, 15:10
Mine flashes, as far as I'm aware, it's always flashed.

Peter_
09-03-2011, 16:30
Thanks both.

Here's the levels.

As I say, the blue light has always been solid. I know this coz I can see it from the sofa and if it had been blinking like it is now it would have drove me insane!
No problems at all with the power levels, your top blue light should flash though as it shows throughput both ways.

techguyone
09-03-2011, 16:40
Actually I stand corrected, mine only flashes if I'm using the internet, otherwise its steady.

zekeisaszekedoes
10-03-2011, 16:41
Mine flashes constantly and consistently at all times of day, because it's currently doing a ping test to check connection integrity.

Blackened
10-03-2011, 17:14
Cheers for the replies.
I cancelled the tech visit as there's obviously nothing wrong.
I can't impress much more how the light has been solid for weeks and my PC is on 24/7, but is now flashing. However, if it wasn't flashing and should have been, then things are fixed I guess.. *shrug*

pip08456
10-03-2011, 19:31
Bottom line- yes it should've been flashing and annoying you!