PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Rolling back to 20mb and WMNG300 MODEM...is this possible?

tjay2
08-03-2011, 09:17
Ok I have yet to get any answers back from support on the phone so I am trying here in desperation!

I have paid £30 to upgrade to 30mb and receive a useless plastic box that sits in the corner and flashes at me!!

Luckily I still have a WMNG300 Modem which worked perfectly and was 100% stable with not one dropout for 24months of use.

What I want to know is if I cancel and get my £30 back can I begin using the WMNG300 modem again along with my own router or am i completely stuck with the super hub now?

Alternatively is it possible to stay on 30mb and begin using the WMNG300 again? This modem of course handled speeds of 50mb so i cant see what the problem would be?

Hopefully I can get an answer here after the frustrations of calling support!

Peter_
08-03-2011, 10:08
If they can readd the modem to your account then the should be no issue.

BenMcr
08-03-2011, 10:08
The VMDG300 modem can be used with 30Mbit, so it's theoretically possible to do (considering you should have just been upgraded to 30Mbit without the need for a fee or the SuperHub in the first place)

All depends if you can persuade VM to swap the kit back over

No point downgrading to 20Mbit as the price is basically the same.

tjay2
08-03-2011, 10:13
ok this sounds good, i presume i cant just plug it back in and will need someone from tech support to activate my old modem again?

Will there be someone available with the knowledge to do this when i get home at 18:00 though?

Thanks
tjay

Peter_
08-03-2011, 10:14
ok this sounds good, i presume i cant just plug it back in and will need someone from tech support to activate my old modem again?

Will there be someone available with the knowledge to do this when i get home at 18:00 though?

Thanks
tjay
The will be UK agents until 10pm.

tjay2
08-03-2011, 10:35
perfect hopefully i can do this tonight as my broadband has been so unreliable anyone know how I get through to the UK agents rather than normal support?

BenMcr
08-03-2011, 10:37
perfect hopefully i can do this tonight as my broadband has been so unreliable anyone know how I get through to the UK agents rather than normal support?There isn't. It's whoever is next in the queue to answer

tjay2
08-03-2011, 10:55
ok well fingers crossed I can do it and will post how i got on! luckily i still have my vmng300 modem so i can possibly go back to a stable connection.

I feel sorry for all those that cant, i have always been impressed with virgin media and happy with my service but the superhub seems to be a very poor roll out which is a shame

BenMcr
08-03-2011, 11:03
Personally I went from the VMNG300 and D-link router to the SuperHub and haven't noticed any problems (actually it managed to make things work better with my WHS box than they did before)

tjay2
08-03-2011, 11:17
ive heard that it seems to be only effecting some superhubs?

I dont have a problem with the actual hub it seems stable is perfect when wired and streams to my xbox no problems although a few pages did seem to load quite slowly last night as i was messing around with settings. However no matter what settings i try the wireless constantly grinds to a halt and either drops or gives me speeds slower than a 512k modem!

Im sure i was given a faulty superhub as the box it arrived in was not sealed and the power switch is very temperamental meaning i have to try 8-10 times to get it to turn on.

I am prepared to try a replacement superhub which I have now ordered before trying to use my old modem.

Can I ask Benmcr as a staff member did you leave the superhub at default settings or have you changed anything to get a more stable service from the hub?

tjay2
09-03-2011, 14:31
Hi just to update anyone who may be interested.

I tried a second superhub but still had the same issues so today I have had my vmng300 modem reactivated and gone back to 20mb.

My £30 has also been refunded. From looking at the modem details it seems im on docsis 3.0 anyway so until such a time that the superhub is stable and all bugs ironed out im happy to stay with this set up.

If others are having problems and you have the old kit and are within 28 days of doing the upgrade you should be able to reactivate your old modem too :-)

Cheers
Tjay

BenMcr
09-03-2011, 14:33
Again, you should have been able to keep 30Mbit with the modem.

zekeisaszekedoes
09-03-2011, 16:25
Again, you should have been able to keep 30Mbit with the modem.

Absolutely. the VMNG300 is more than capable of handling 30Mb, so he should ring back up and get the speed upgrade. Trying to get the fee waived would also be a good move.

tjay2
10-03-2011, 09:20
I did think this to be the case as I know the modem was sent out with my 50mb however I was told 30mb is only available on the docsis 3 system.

I now see from my modem that I am indeed on the docsis 3 system, Im happy to wait on 20mb until they upgrade me to 30mb automatically as im am sure they will want me to take a new 12 month contract? This runs out in june so i will negotiate then as am patiently waiting for tivo as well

zekeisaszekedoes
10-03-2011, 15:31
No, I doubt they'll upgrade you automatically. There are still some folks on the 2Mb tier, so if you don't ask you won't get. ;)

pip08456
10-03-2011, 18:41
If you already have the VMNG300 modem then you can be upgraded free to 30Mb.

Jonnymeg
10-03-2011, 21:06
I have the very same modem and on 30mb.

zekeisaszekedoes
11-03-2011, 22:55
You also have a very swanky Zippy avatar. ;)

hmptec
11-05-2011, 12:05
I still have my WMNG300 modem, but was sent (and charged for) a superhub. The wireless performance on this kit is shocking!

Who do I need to contact about reactivating my WMNG300 (I still have it) and getting a refund on the superhub? Is it technical support?

Thanks, in advance.

tjay2
11-05-2011, 12:39
Hi I rang customer services first and they cancelled the upgrade so made sure the £30 was refunded they then put me through to technical who reactivated my old modem and put me back on 20mb

Ever since ive had the great service i was used back.

I still have two superhubs in my lounge, if you want to know what they are good for well.......... im currently using them as bookends, they are fantastic for this use and are a really cool looking bookend for a techgeek like me :)

Brian Hertz
11-05-2011, 13:10
No, I doubt they'll upgrade you automatically. There are still some folks on the 2Mb tier, so if you don't ask you won't get. ;)
So....
Can remaining 20Mb users also hold-out indefinitely (or at least, to a point where they're able to actually provide reliable 30Mb, rather than just mouthing off about it)?

I like my own well-sorted and well-featured router.
I'm also fine with 20Mb (although the 768kbps upstream is pathetic).
Why would I want to give them £30 for (quite possibly) degrading the quality of my service and giving me a pain in the Arsenal?

pip08456
11-05-2011, 13:24
I still have my WMNG300 modem, but was sent (and charged for) a superhub. The wireless performance on this kit is shocking!

Who do I need to contact about reactivating my WMNG300 (I still have it) and getting a refund on the superhub? Is it technical support?

Thanks, in advance.

The £30 is an activaion charge and not a charge for the plooperhub. Get on to tech support to have your VMNG re-activated if you haven't already tried swapping it out to see if it still works.

zekeisaszekedoes
12-05-2011, 20:21
So....
Can remaining 20Mb users also hold-out indefinitely (or at least, to a point where they're able to actually provide reliable 30Mb, rather than just mouthing off about it)?

I don't know about indefinitely, but I'd guess a year or two.

Personally though, making the jump to 30Mb and the DOCSIS3 overlay might make a difference, especially if you're in a congested area where everyone is on what is now the legacy network. When I got my VMNG300 hooked up, ping/jitter times dropped dramatically and my improved upload contention (1/10th of download rather than 1/20th) which my Ambit 250 was having trouble with got solved, so now it looks like this.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/110.png

Peter_
12-05-2011, 20:27
So....
Can remaining 20Mb users also hold-out indefinitely

You can stay on 20Mb for as long as you want with no need to upgrade unless you request to do so.

Brian Hertz
13-05-2011, 16:29
Thanks for both replies.
Much appreciated.

As I say, I'm pretty happy with the 20Mb tariff, and with the upstream upgrade (scheduled for June?) it will become marginally better yet.
Hopefully, they'll get this bridge-mode thing with the BlooperHub sorted out soon, and then everyone can enjoy the 30Mbit goodness!