PDA

View Full Version : 30M Installed my SuperHub last night

phils_wicked
08-03-2011, 08:22
Hi all, after some faff with the delivery of the hub, I finaly managed to install it last night. All went well to be honest, apart from having to update some wireless adapter drivers.

Tried my PS3, wireless, and it was mega slow when downloading a movie from the Playstation Store....I mean really slowwww.

Plugged it in using a long ethernet cable and whoosh! the 1Gb file took approx 4-5mins to complete.

I havent had time to play with any of the settings yet, but is there anything I can do to improve the wireless performance?

Thanks

General Maximus
08-03-2011, 08:27
as a standard now everyone seems to be disabling the firewall and ip flood detection and that seems to solve a lot of problems. With regards to wireless, I think I read a post a couple of days ago where someone was having problems and they changed (decreased) the frequency of their wireless and it worked wonders for them.

In all honesty though, for gaming, I would strongly recommend you run a patch cable from the hub rounds to any consoles/pcs you want to play on.

Stephen
08-03-2011, 08:50
The ps3 is only wireless G so will not be as fast as it is with the Ethernet.

I find the ps3 really slow via wireless too but my xbox is mega fast.

phils_wicked
08-03-2011, 10:46
Wireless does annoy me to be honest, but its just so much more convenient. I would like to tweek up the speed a touch though, especially on my laptops. Do you think that a wireless N adaptor would help much? im topping out at about 18mb at the mo.

pearl
08-03-2011, 11:27
the max throughput of wireless g is 24mb so 18mb isn't too bad for wireless g. an n adapter has higher max throughput so it would probably help assuming you have an 'n' router.

I've also had more problems with the ps3 wireless and if I put my laptop in the same place as the ps3 the wireless speed is fine on the laptop so as people have said a wired connection is better.

If your having trouble look at the channels of the networks around you and change yours to a channel far away (at least 2 or 3 channels if possible as the channels' frequency overlap) from the other networks.

Chrysalis
08-03-2011, 14:12
if you took the effort to plug in a cable why not just keep using it?

the only device I use wireless on is my laptop, anything that isnt been moved around a lot I would defenitly use on ethernet.

zekeisaszekedoes
08-03-2011, 15:10
True, for any serious amount of data you want moving, regardless of LAN or WAN, you really need wireless N of 300Mbps or greater, ideally in the 5GHz band. I rarely got better than 2MB/s with wireless G; it's not a true replacement for 100Mbps ethernet.

phils_wicked
08-03-2011, 20:23
Is the superhub a wireless N router?

Im thinking about finding a tidy way to run ethernet accross the house, I do prefer wired connections as a rule.

jtaylor06
08-03-2011, 20:33
The ps3 is only wireless G so will not be as fast as it is with the Ethernet.

I find the ps3 really slow via wireless too but my xbox is mega fast.

Are you using the built in wireless on the 360, or using an adapter?
If so, the old white one (G) or the new black one (N)

zekeisaszekedoes
09-03-2011, 16:04
Is the superhub a wireless N router?

Yes it is, but in my experience it's not a particularly good one. Poor range, likely to drop out several times a day, large LAN file transfers from wireless to wired can make the entire Super Hub hang, etc...

Stephen
09-03-2011, 18:31
Are you using the built in wireless on the 360, or using an adapter?
If so, the old white one (G) or the new black one (N)

The built in wireless N on the newer black slim console.

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Yes it is, but in my experience it's not a particularly good one. Poor range, likely to drop out several times a day, large LAN file transfers from wireless to wired can make the entire Super Hub hang, etc...

From your experience, however from mine I get great range and it's not once dropped out and I've had it since the trials. All my devices bar my PS3 are wireless N. I've transferred movie files from a wireless laptop to wired iMac and not had the superhub crash or freeze.

zekeisaszekedoes
09-03-2011, 23:10
From your experience, however from mine I get great range and it's not once dropped out and I've had it since the trials. All my devices bar my PS3 are wireless N. I've transferred movie files from a wireless laptop to wired iMac and not had the superhub crash or freeze.

Yes, but I'm betting you didn't transfer 200GB worth of movies over about three hours (averaging one crash requiring power cycle every thirty minutes), as I did when I was setting up my HD HTPC. It's only after long sustained file transfers that the thing locks up. Little tiny 700MB DVDRips every now and then probably won't crash it.

This is what I mean about the Super Hub only showing serious problems if you're asking it to do proper routing, not the small amounts most people manage. If more folks like me tested it, chances are the problems would have been spotted before rollout. ;)

fever
12-03-2011, 20:09
I am also having a problem with the superhub wireless, via wireless in the same room i get a 6.7MB/s but upstairs i get around 2-3MB/s and there is only 2 bars signal

philwhite100
13-03-2011, 10:05
I have received my Superhub and have read the enclosed manuals. The manual says the last stage is activation? Is this applicable to existing customers or is it new set ups only?
I am on 50meg if that helps

pip08456
13-03-2011, 10:58
Your superhub needs actvating no matter how long you've been a customer.

philwhite100
13-03-2011, 11:22
Your superhub needs actvating no matter how long you've been a customer.

Thanks for that. I called the number given in the manual and it is now up and running.

golfwhiskey
13-03-2011, 21:21
Hi this is my first visit to the forum and I would like to ask a question about the Superhub.

My computer setup is in my bedroom and at night the blue lights on the superhub modem are really bright, Can I turn the modem off at night without having to re configure it next time I switch the modem on.
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

General Maximus
13-03-2011, 21:32
of course you can dude, you should be able to plug it back in and it will work no problemo. You might just have to give it a few mins to get an external ip address and for the routing part to re-sync with any devices that remained powered on such as a pc while the hub as off.

Tbh though, it would be better if you left it on and just put a book/pad/dvd/anything over the top to cover the lights