PDA

View Full Version : 50M Disconnected Early?

dudload
07-03-2011, 20:36
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help with a weird situation...

A couple weeks ago i put in a request to change across to national service from 50MB as were moving house. Agreed a switchover date of the 12th March.

Anyway, today our modem isnt getting a connection with the ready light flashing with all other lights solid. Called up tech support who stated were disconnected, then promptly hung up on me. Called up home movers team, who said were definately not disconnected and that were live until the 12th. Then passed onto Tech support, who after checking the line for a bit, and asking for the mac address said that theres a massive fault in the area (dalston UBR) that wont be fixed till the 11th!

Now this seems fishy to me, as its the day before disconnection date. Are they lying just to get me off their backs? Anyone know of any outage in Dalston?

Dudload

General Maximus
07-03-2011, 21:08
the ready light flashing means that the modem cant establish a connection with the ubrregardless of what the reason is. The best thing to do is to have a look at the log file for the modem. If it is a fault it will come up with some sort of trasmit time out error, if they have disconnected you you'll get an access denied message so you can see that the modem is trying to connect but they are stopping it.

go to http://192.168.100.1

Nopanic
08-03-2011, 06:53
Customer care mate, the disconnects probably gone through.

Peter_
08-03-2011, 07:25
Customer care mate, the disconnects probably gone through.
Very likely it has gone through and it will take a few days to reconnect you so it might not really be viable for you to do so.

As above call Customer Services not Technical Support as they will just transfer you to them.

zekeisaszekedoes
08-03-2011, 12:49
If you're going to switch off a connection on a date other than the one specified, surely it would make more sense to go over rather than under? This has to be the forth or fifth one of these types of post I've seen and I can't help but wonder what's going on.

Nopanic
08-03-2011, 21:21
Very likely it has gone through and it will take a few days to reconnect you so it might not really be viable for you to do so.

As above call Customer Services not Technical Support as they will just transfer you to them.

Few days ? I could do it in a few seconds, why would it take CC longer?

(genuine question)

Peter_
08-03-2011, 21:29
Few days ? I could do it in a few seconds, why would it take CC longer?

(genuine question)
Because they always say that it takes a few days to reactivate a former account, 2nd line and Customer Services and Customer Relations always say this and I have had a few similar calls in my time.

I believe it is to do with the billing side.

Nopanic
08-03-2011, 21:39
Because they always say that it takes a few days to reactivate a former account, 2nd line and Customer Services and Customer Relations always say this and I have had a few similar calls in my time.

I believe it is to do with the billing side.

:redcard:

Odd .. I'd be inclined to question that mate, I know it's not your area.. so you probably don't care :)

I might have to come down and educated 2nd line :D

General Maximus
08-03-2011, 21:57
meow :bsmack: It is funny to see all the VM peeps arguing with each other. Is this why it always takes forever to get something fixed? Nobody can decide who should do what :LOL:

pip08456
09-03-2011, 00:32
I find this thread hilarious, not for the OP though.

Masque, I presume, is first line. Nopanic has at least to be third line as he is on about coming down to educate 2nd line and as a higher line than Masque considers that Masque probably doesn't care!

So we VM have a tier system like this

1st line don't care.

2nd line don't have a clue and need educating.

3rd line and above only educate 2nd line when they see probs like the OP has.

What a good way to run a business!

qasdfdsaq
09-03-2011, 01:52
Lol. I seriously laughed out loud.

Peter_
09-03-2011, 06:27
:redcard:

Odd .. I'd be inclined to question that mate, I know it's not your area.. so you probably don't care :)

I might have to come down and educated 2nd line :D
You probably will need to as on more than one occasion I personally have had this call because someone in Customer Services has once again keyed the work order incorrectly and I have then spent time on the phone speaking to 2nd line, Customer Services and Customer Relations all with the same result.

They all state that with the account due to actually close in say 3/4 days that by time they reactivate it the account will be due to be closed and therefore a waste of time.

I myself find this annoying as you then have to advise the customer of the failings of the system which considering they may be about to move their services to the new property does not bode well for them continuing with us.

So I try to get Customer Relations to then take the call as that then falls within their remit.

Maybe you need to PM me your email address so that any future issues like this can be sorted by someone with the correct permissions because I will go the extra mile if allowed, by the way no one else will be passed your details.

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 ----------

Masque, I presume, is first line. Nopanic has at least to be third line as he is on about coming down to educate 2nd line and as a higher line than Masque considers that Masque probably doesn't care!

1st line don't care.

Do please read my post as you have no idea what kind of agent I am but considering I actually come on here in my own time to try and give some support should tell you a little about me.:rolleyes:

So try not to muddy the waters when you have no real idea of what is involved or the person you are talking about.

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 ----------

meow :bsmack: It is funny to see all the VM peeps arguing with each other. Is this why it always takes forever to get something fixed? Nobody can decide who should do what :LOL:
No argument just letting him know how the other departments deal with accounts accidentally closed early, I can try to help but cannot get far if the other departments will not or cannot assist me.

Also Nopanic is probably one of the few members on here that can probably get this sorted out once and for all by ensuring that the relevant departments know what to do in these situations rather than telling us "Computer says no".

---------- Post added at 06:27 ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 ----------

Lol. I seriously laughed out loud.
I rather doubt that the OP will find any of the rest of the comments in this thread in the least bit funny because of an error he lost his connection.

This is regards all non Virginmedia staff posts.

Nopanic
09-03-2011, 08:04
lol Masque clearly does care or he wouldn't post here .. I love how everything becomes a big deal ..

2nd line don't activate or disconnect accounts, they are technical support .. my smiley should of suggested I'm playing ...

If however there is some kind of issue with technical supports access, meaning they can not do their job correctly then it needs to be addressed, for all I know its process not to mess with accounts in this way because of (insert reason here)

I'm not the fountain of knowledge, I know the systems because I support them, but Masque and 2nd line are the guys in the know when it comes to customers and processes.

Personally, I'd ignore 90% of what I say and listen to Masque .. and we don't argue, we listen to each other..

edit: wheres Ben when you need him ?

I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll speak to CC and CR and find out what the score is. Probably looking at making myself look stupid, but all for the good of our customers :)

Peter_
09-03-2011, 08:08
lol Masque clearly does care or he wouldn't post here .. I love how everything becomes a big deal ..

2nd line don't activate or disconnect accounts, they are technical support .. my smiley should of suggested I'm playing ...

If however there is some kind of issue with technical supports access, meaning they can not do their job correctly then it needs to be addressed, for all I know its process not to mess with accounts in this way because of (insert reason here)

I'm not the fountain of knowledge, I know the systems because I support them, but Masque and 2nd line are the guys in the know when it comes to customers and processes.

Personally, I'd ignore 90% of what I say and listen to Masque .. and we don't argue, we listen to each other..
You know what can be done with regards the processes but the people who should know do not which does not help us on a call when we get this situation.:)

Nopanic
09-03-2011, 08:35
It does seem that having VM under my name means I'm not able to joke .. so apologies if anyone actually believes you don't care .. or 2nd line aren't doing their job :)

I have nothing but respect for both :) we're just all in different parts of the business with different thoughts and processes ... maybe I need to engage brain more before "trying" to help :)

Oh and I found out who you are yesterday :) not on purpose, just the subject came up of these forums at one of the outsourced meetings..

At least I think I know :P

General Maximus
09-03-2011, 08:50
nice come back guys, we were only fooling around though and winding you up, no worries :)

Peter_
09-03-2011, 09:11
nice come back guys, we were only fooling around though and winding you up, no worries :)
I was just pointing out what the issue actually was, if I could sort it I would but I do not have the correct permissions.;)

zekeisaszekedoes
09-03-2011, 15:50

1st line don't care.

I don't know if that's true, but both comments made me laugh. Out loud, yes. Can't bring myself to use the phrase "I LOL'd" without quotes around them to indicate it isn't something I'd write or say myself, though. :D

It does seem that having VM under my name means I'm not able to joke .. so apologies if anyone actually believes you don't care .. or 2nd line aren't doing their job :)

I have nothing but respect for both :) we're just all in different parts of the business with different thoughts and processes ... maybe I need to engage brain more before "trying" to help :)

Oh and I found out who you are yesterday :) not on purpose, just the subject came up of these forums at one of the outsourced meetings..

At least I think I know :P

Nopanic, you can joke all you want. I think that Masque just takes ire directed VM's way a little too personally, which leads to this forum-based butting heads or whatever you want to call it.

About these "outsourced meetings"... do tell. Or are they too confidential to share with mere plebians? ;)

Nopanic
09-03-2011, 17:15
No, nothing interesting. Just feedback and requests mostly.

No secrets or exciting plans that anyone has told me ..

Peter_
09-03-2011, 18:10
I think that Masque just takes ire directed VM's way a little too personally, which leads to this forum-based butting heads or whatever you want to call it.

Actually I have answered everything in this thread as honestly as I can because this situation does happen with customers accounts either when moving house or sometimes when they are disconnecting all services.

The reason it happens is that the agent who keyed the work order on the account did it incorrectly and therefore they were disconnected early.

We get the call and try to get them online to no avail so we call 2nd line who after checking for themselves advise calling Customer Services or even Customer Relations.

We then find that they can reconnect them but it can take a few days which is usually a not far of the actual disconnection date, so we advise the customer of this and usually Customer Relations ends up taking the call as that is their job.

Now Nopanic says that it should not take that long and I tend to agree with him that the should be a process to sort it there and then, but no one in the relevant departments appears to know which processes to use or possibly they may not have the correct permissions on their systems.

Of course do not forget that the customer ends up going away with a bad experience at the hands of Virginmedia and will very likely tell all of his friends and colleagues about what happened.

Nopanic
09-03-2011, 20:08
Actually I have answered everything in this thread as honestly as I can because this situation does happen with customers accounts either when moving house or sometimes when they are disconnecting all services.

The reason it happens is that the agent who keyed the work order on the account did it incorrectly and therefore they were disconnected early.

We get the call and try to get them online to no avail so we call 2nd line who after checking for themselves advise calling Customer Services or even Customer Relations.

We then find that they can reconnect them but it can take a few days which is usually a not far of the actual disconnection date, so we advise the customer of this and usually Customer Relations ends up taking the call as that is their job.

Now Nopanic says that it should not take that long and I tend to agree with him that the should be a process to sort it there and then, but no one in the relevant departments appears to know which processes to use or possibly they may not have the correct permissions on their systems.

Of course do not forget that the customer ends up going away with a bad experience at the hands of Virginmedia and will very likely tell all of his friends and colleagues about what happened.

:cool:

Totally agree, its all about the customer experience and people like Masque go out of their way and their pay grade to make things work ..

Sadly its not possible to have every agent act like this, but if I can help define a process that gives them the ability to fix things, then I'm doing my job well.

I've been playing with some test accounts and I can disconnect and reconnect without any issues, but there are loads of different billing codes, deals, etc. I really need someone like Ben to advise on the reason behind cc giving this time restriction.

Peter_
09-03-2011, 20:13
:cool:

Totally agree, its all about the customer experience and people like Masque go out of their way and their pay grade to make things work ..

Sadly its not possible to have every agent act like this, but if I can help define a process that gives them the ability to fix things, then I'm doing my job well.

I've been playing with some test accounts and I can disconnect and reconnect without any issues, but there are loads of different billing codes, deals, etc. I really need someone like Ben to advise on the reason behind cc giving this time restriction.
I have always thought it must be possible but with no one actually trying to fix it we just carry on going around in circles.

Maybe you need to write a training document and have it sent to the relevant departments and then it can be put on Unity for all to know it can be actually be fixed.

The time restriction has always struck me as a bit of a fob off to be honest.

You forgot to PM me and tell me who I am.;)

Nopanic
09-03-2011, 21:18
I have always thought it must be possible but with no one actually trying to fix it we just carry on going around in circles.

Maybe you need to write a training document and have it sent to the relevant departments and then it can be put on Unity for all to know it can be actually be fixed.

The time restriction has always struck me as a bit of a fob off to be honest.

You forgot to PM me and tell me who I am.;)

lol .. I'm leaving you in suspense ..

Training doc hey .. can't I just show you and you teach everyone ..

zekeisaszekedoes
09-03-2011, 21:54

That's what I meant though... it's as if you're personally crusading on behalf of VM in all threads. I understand loyalty to the company, but there has to be objectivity and a more realistic admission that there are problems with the infrastructure which could be fixed.

I'm not saying that to put you down by any means - you seem like a nice enough chap - but you do try and justify VM's stance at any cost instead of being more objective, which is why you find yourself politely fighting with people who have had the experience the company breaking it's own rules, for example, which has happened to me, several people here and doubtless numerous others who aren't even on this forum or the VM community one.

That's more like it - real solutions that will make a difference rather than the meaningless euphemismspeak you might find in VM's terms and conditions etc. :cool:

(I criticise VM because in a lot of ways they're good, but in a lot of others they're f'n stupid. And I'd rather see them improve than flounder; that way everybody wins.)

Nopanic
09-03-2011, 22:06
That's more like it - real solutions that will make a difference rather than the meaningless euphemismspeak you might find in VM's terms and conditions etc. :cool:

(I criticise VM because in a lot of ways they're good, but in a lot of others they're f'n stupid. And I'd rather see them improve than flounder; that way everybody wins.)

That's logically reasoning .. I will not hear of it .. just for that I'll not bother :p:

Peter_
10-03-2011, 11:55
That's what I meant though... it's as if you're personally crusading on behalf of VM in all threads. I understand loyalty to the company, but there has to be objectivity and a more realistic admission that there are problems with the infrastructure which could be fixed.

I'm not saying that to put you down by any means - you seem like a nice enough chap - but you do try and justify VM's stance at any cost instead of being more objective, which is why you find yourself politely fighting with people who have had the experience the company breaking it's own rules, for example, which has happened to me, several people here and doubtless numerous others who aren't even on this forum or the VM community one.

With regards to the above thread I am also a customer and I try to be objective on a call and help the customer in a way that I would expect to be treated.

This scenario would bode better if it could be nipped in the bud on the first call rather than causing undue stress on the caller which can and does happen.

Maybe something positive will come out of this as Nopanic is now aware of the issue and he may be able to put it a solution to the higher management to prevent this happening again.

General Maximus
10-03-2011, 17:42
to be fair to Masque I understand where he is coming from because I have the same problem. I work in HR for a very large company and will do anything I can to help our staff but sometimes they say and do what i think are the most stupidest of things and i want to bang my head against the wall. You have to look at things from both points of view and sometimes people I can think I am being completely unreasonable (like when they turn around and say they want tomorrow off) and it just takes a bit of patience explaining things and what the rules are and why you can do somethings and not others. People say I am the propaganda machine for the company but all I do is explain to people what they can and cant do and how things should be done and people dont always like what I say because I am not agreeing with them. Like no you cant have tomorrow off because it is too short notice and we cant cover your shift and there is stuff that needs to be done, but if you had asked 2 weeks ago then it wouldnt have been a problem.

Masque isn't defending VM, he is just trying to explain how they do things and what the policies and rules so we have a better understanding and can maybe avoid future problems.

pip08456
10-03-2011, 17:57
I'm a bit late getting back due to a hospital visit but need to answer Nopanic.

The fact that I'd said that I found the thread hilarious should've been a clue as to the rest of my post.

It was all tongue in cheek which I presume and hope Masque took it that way.(still don't know if you are 1st, 2nd or whatever line:D).

We all know that VM fail in many areas and we know people like yourself, Masque and Ben come here and take some things on board and report back.

You are correct in one thing though.

There are sometimes when there is a problem between your chair and keyboard.

Could it be this?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/74.gif

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/12/3.gif

Nopanic
10-03-2011, 19:29
:upyours:

Peter_
10-03-2011, 19:35
I'm a bit late getting back due to a hospital visit but need to answer Nopanic.

The fact that I'd said that I found the thread hilarious should've been a clue as to the rest of my post.

It was all tongue in cheek which I presume and hope Masque took it that way.(still don't know if you are 1st, 2nd or whatever line:D).

We all know that VM fail in many areas and we know people like yourself, Masque and Ben come here and take some things on board and report back.

I know when it becomes tongue in cheek Nopanic arrives.:D

No he offers good advice and we all know regardless of whether we work for Virginmedia that this should not happen and when it does it gives totally the wrong impression to everyone.

I am a first line agent who is happy with what he does and enjoys his job, not many people can say that nowadays.:)

As for drinking I dislike most forms of alcohol because of the taste.:)

Nopanic
10-03-2011, 21:31
I try to keep out of advise threads, there are plenty of people willing to help ..

Its been many, many years since I graced a call centre phone ... and I don't take things too seriously now .. saying that I don't want to upset anyone .. apart from pip ..

Peter_
11-03-2011, 06:22
I try to keep out of advise threads, there are plenty of people willing to help ..

Its been many, many years since I graced a call centre phone ... and I don't take things too seriously now .. saying that I don't want to upset anyone .. apart from pip ..
I like your posts because not everyone realises that you are having a bit of fun.

Nopanic
11-03-2011, 06:33
I like your posts because not everyone realises that you are having a bit of fun.

including me :D

pip08456
11-03-2011, 10:15

Carry on, I've got broad shoulders!:D:D:D

Nopanic
11-03-2011, 17:06
Carry on, I've got broad shoulders!:D:D:D

like your mum ..

ok .. I know .. but I had to ... :dunce: