PDA

View Full Version : 50M Superhub not showing on all devices

sf49ers
06-03-2011, 20:16
Hey,

Upgraded from 20mb to 50mb on Saturday and instantly had issues with the performance speed being slower than before. After 3 phone calls to tech support they asked me to turn Remote Management OFF. They then accessed my HUB and made a few changes and, HEY PRESTO! My broadband was super fast!
HOWEVER.... About an hour later I turned on my girlfriends laptop to get her connected to the new HUB and its not finding the network when I search? It finds a few of my neighbours networks but not ours. This also applies to my BlackBerry 9700 which WAS connected to the network untill I made the phone calls to VM tech support.
Now, I am assuming (dangerous, i know) that this is down to something that VM did when they were `in` my HUB although it doesn`t explain why my BlackBerry is no longer connected and can`t find the network.
Is this just a simple case of un-checking a box somewhere in the HUB admin? I have access to it and have checked that SSID is showing and it is but, as i have said, only my laptop can find the network??

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers in advance.

Harryn9000
06-03-2011, 20:44
are u sure the network name and password haven't been reset to default

v0id
06-03-2011, 21:17
Your 802.11N Band needs to be 2.4Ghz and not 5Ghz for a mixed network ...so only one of the lights on the side is blue

sf49ers
07-03-2011, 17:56
Your 802.11N Band needs to be 2.4Ghz and not 5Ghz for a mixed network ...so only one of the lights on the side is blue

This is what I suspected and you are spot on. Worked a treat but does changing it affect my speed in any way?

Stephen
07-03-2011, 18:56
It wouldn't do. Mine runs at 2.4 and I get full speed from it still.

zekeisaszekedoes
07-03-2011, 20:41
This is what I suspected and you are spot on. Worked a treat but does changing it affect my speed in any way?

Speed, probably not. But as the 2.4GHz band is regarded as quite congested these days (I can usually detect between two and three dozen wireless networks on any given day for one thing, and this is pretty average even in a small town like mine) the higher "background noise" might reduce the range.

v0id
07-03-2011, 21:00
The superhub should still pick the best channel anyway, if set to auto

qasdfdsaq
07-03-2011, 23:14
Apparently it doesn't in practice.

qasdfdsaq
08-03-2011, 01:54
It wouldn't do. Mine runs at 2.4 and I get full speed from it still.
It could do depending on the environment.

Both range and speed can be reduced by interference, which is far greater on 2.4Ghz than on 5Ghz. That's the primary point of the 5Ghz band to begin with, to avoid interference so you can get better speeds.

In most urban environments I've seen a 20-40% speed drop on 2.4Ghz is typical. In really dense areas it's more, in really sparse areas it's less.

zekeisaszekedoes
08-03-2011, 12:36
Apparently it doesn't in practice.

Correct. I never set any router to Auto, even ones running the hallowed DD-WRT I'm so fond of mentioning. For most people the best choice would be the 13th, which does a better job of avoiding interference from the overused 1st, 6th and 11th channels. I've tried using channel 14 before but most European wireless equipment won't go that far up the band. Which is a shame, considering the gap between frequencies is the largest there.