PDA

View Full Version : If I ran virgin media

jb66
04-03-2011, 22:03
I'd stop refurbing sa boxes
Make sa4000 boxes obsolete
Make all new samsungs have a 500gb drive
Offer an engineer upgrade to a 500gb drive for £35 (12 month contract)
Asked dlink/ambit to make a superhub with bridge mode
Not wasted time on a regular hub

Anything you would change?

Peter_
04-03-2011, 22:08
SA4000 and below are supposed to be obsolete and automatically replaced on a call or so we are told.

jb66
04-03-2011, 22:10
It's not unfortunately, it doesn't appear on PDA as obsolete and we get measured against them if we swap too many. Pace 1000 2000 are obsolete though and they are better than the sa4000

Chrysalis
04-03-2011, 22:11
end loyalty discounts
bump 50mbit and 100mbit price
end STM
suspend sales in every area with upstream congestion until fixed
suspend sales in areas above 60% utilisation even if no apparent congestion.
increase prices further if ending loyalty discounts isnt enough to pay for this.
scrap superhub and hub
ask dlink to do black dir655 for 100mbit service.
keep dir615 for other tiers.
vmng300 top 3 tiers
reduce agressiveness to get new customers ie. reduce offers for new customers and concentrate instead on increasing revenue per existing customers.
remove process from call centre's, I would want staff to think for themselves and take intiative to fix customer problems.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 22:22
end STM
Unlikely as it would cause more issues than it would solve as per the other items on the wish list below this one.

remove process from call centre's, I would want staff to think for themselves and take intiative to fix customer problems.
Processes are required otherwise it would kill the business, plus broadband agents do not use diagnostic tools or any scripts as that will never work within a faults environment as we must be able to use our skills and experience, now remember we are talking UK centres here.

Rob King
04-03-2011, 22:27
Match BT'S infinity 40mb package so 50mb down 10mb upload

jb66
04-03-2011, 22:32
Make a business 50meg which costs more and has no management and less congestion for power users

Chrysalis
04-03-2011, 23:06
Unlikely as it would cause more issues than it would solve as per the other items on the wish list below this one.

Processes are required otherwise it would kill the business, plus broadband agents do not use diagnostic tools or any scripts as that will never work within a faults environment as we must be able to use our skills and experience, now remember we are talking UK centres here.

this is if I ran VM thread, so you would now be fired for not liking company policy.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 23:08
this is if I ran VM thread, so you would now be fired for not liking company policy.
I know that your ideas and many others would be great if the network could stand it.

I stand by what I said about broadband agents though as it is correct in most cases.

qasdfdsaq
04-03-2011, 23:24
Lol

Chrysalis
05-03-2011, 05:47
I know that your ideas and many others would be great if the network could stand it.

I stand by what I said about broadband agents though as it is correct in most cases.

obviously I would be upgrading the network hence upping the prices.

General Maximus
05-03-2011, 08:42
all sounds good guys, shall we band together and buy VM?

craigj2k12
05-03-2011, 08:54
ill put a quid forward

oliver1948uk
05-03-2011, 09:30
If I ran VM, I would monitor the amount of people's broadband use carefully. Those who continually use ridiculous amounts of bandwidth (what do they do with all this stuff?) would have their contracts terminated so freeing up bandwidth for the vast majority and helping solve the problems in congested areas (though here in Mansfield NG18 it is very rare indeed for there to be a problem).

With those very high use customers gone eleswhere, it would get rid of a high proportion of moaning on this forum!

Ignitionnet
05-03-2011, 10:13
If I ran VM it would be bankrupt. I'm a decent engineer but don't know quite so much about how to run a business :)

Billy-Bob
05-03-2011, 10:38
If I ran VM it would be bankrupt. I'm a decent engineer but don't know quite so much about how to run a business :)

Now that's the wisest thing I've read on this site for years.

Hugh
05-03-2011, 10:44
If I ran VM it would be bankrupt. I'm a decent engineer but don't know quite so much about how to run a business :)But everyone makes it sound so simple.....:D

mentalis
05-03-2011, 10:52
If you all bought VM I would chip in a monthly amount to keep it going.

Gary L
05-03-2011, 11:36
If I ran Virgin Media I'd make the broadband truly "unlimited" and I'd make all the prices on the site transparent enough so they're not so much misleading to not so bright people.

Hugh
05-03-2011, 11:40
And how would this non-contended unlimited service be paid for, as to get a similiar service on a commercial basis costs my company a couple of thousand pounds per month per line?

Gary L
05-03-2011, 11:44
And how would this non-contended unlimited service be paid for

From the money that my customers pay for it.
if it's not enough to cover the costs then I'd drop the "unlimited" bit from the advertising and marketing.

Hugh
05-03-2011, 11:51
From the money that my customers pay for it.
if it's not enough to cover the costs then I'd drop the "unlimited" bit from the advertising and marketing.Typical supplier - start off promising one thing, then changing your message and backtracking almost immediately....:D

Chrysalis
05-03-2011, 11:52
And how would this non-contended unlimited service be paid for, as to get a similiar service on a commercial basis costs my company a couple of thousand pounds per month per line?

why does it have to be non contended?

you just contend low enough so that those who do use it heavily have capacity available for their use.

thast is a big misunderstanding in that some people think a line has to be 1:1 to allow unlimited use forgetting most people wont utilise it fully.

eg. I had a true unlimited service on my last adsl isp for £22 month.
sky broadband (LLU) and BE are near enough true unlimited as well.

Hugh
05-03-2011, 11:54
But if it isn't uncontended, and you do get contention, you will get someone complaining they don't have unlimited use (which is why business lines are 1:1).....

Gary L
05-03-2011, 11:56
Typical supplier - start off promising one thing, then changing your message and backtracking almost immediately....:D

Silly me. I thought you were telling me I can't afford to provide the unlimited service I sell. :D

Hugh
05-03-2011, 12:11
No, I was asking you how you would....

Chrysalis
05-03-2011, 13:44
But if it isn't uncontended, and you do get contention, you will get someone complaining they don't have unlimited use (which is why business lines are 1:1).....

no thats different to an isp doing things to artifically restrict such as STM, AUP letters and so on.

Of course also if congestion occurs then can reduce contention further till it stops, before you say it be just about impossible to need 1:1 to achieve that. Seems you can only think at extremes, either 1:1 or limited, its perfectly possible to sell an unlimited service on a contended service and its been done in the past many times. It got broken when talktalk etc. started breaking the price structure and isp's increased contention.

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2011, 14:54
I'm not quite as good an engineer but I am taking a degree in management (particularly technology management), I'm sure we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement :p:

To be honest though for anyone running a media company the size of VM, broadband FUPs and contention ratios would make up a fairly small amount of their time and more likely delegated to someone lower down, CTO perhaps being the highest person who'd actually care.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

no thats different to an isp doing things to artifically restrict such as STM, AUP letters and so on.

Of course also if congestion occurs then can reduce contention further till it stops, before you say it be just about impossible to need 1:1 to achieve that. Seems you can only think at extremes, either 1:1 or limited, its perfectly possible to sell an unlimited service on a contended service and its been done in the past many times. It got broken when talktalk etc. started breaking the price structure and isp's increased contention.
Indeed correct.

By my (very approximate) reckoning a network comprised of nothing but the top 1% of heavy users would still be happy with a 10:1 to 20:1 contention ratio, that level would be sufficient that they probably won't be able to tell the difference from a 1:1. However, the pipe ratios also matter in reducing the potential for visible contention. In any case on VM's network, I'm apparently an extremely heavy user (within the top 0.1%) but 30:1 suits me just fine.

The assumption contention has to be 1:1 to sell a truly unlimited service only applies under the assumption that every single user uses 100% of their line speed, absolutely all the time.

Hugh
05-03-2011, 15:03
Which I know very rarely would be true, but you can bet your bottom dollar someone one would be on here complaining to high heaven re "unlimited" if it happened......:D

We have 4x1GB (and a couple of 30Mb & 100Mb) pipes at work, and they normally run at around 20-30% bandwidth utilisation, but occasionally (very rarely) hit high 90s.

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2011, 15:20
Thing is in that case it wouldn't be the 'unlimited' downloads aspect that's being affected but rather the 'Up to X mb' speed - it would still be an 'unlimited' service, only speeds may fluctuate down to, say, 45mb instead of 50mb but they could still download as much as they want (which is not the case with VM at the moment).

If everyone *were* to download at 100% speed 100% of the time, then that area might require a close to 1:1 contention ratio, but the key here is meeting demand - a small 0.1% area might need 1:1 to meet demand but in the remainder of the country you could still make massive savings on economies of scale and provide 30:1 or worse, and still give everyone all the downloads and speeds they want.

Think of it this way, if as a consumer you could 30 times less for a connection of the same speed, where you could still download as much as you want at full speed whenever you want, on the proviso the speed might drop by 10%, 10% of the time, wouldn't you?

vanman
05-03-2011, 15:21
i would sell it cant stand all the moaning about all the thing's i do to try and supply my customers with the best at a fair price .:banghead:

Chrysalis
05-03-2011, 15:56
True running VM would likely give me an heart attack.

me wanting to provide a proper service.
money men wanting me to sell it cheap pile em high so figures look good.
and customers wanting it all for nothing.

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2011, 16:05
Internet should be available everywhere and free to all I say.

vanman
05-03-2011, 17:35
it is at mc donalds starbucks and Wetherspoons pubs.

General Maximus
05-03-2011, 18:20

I think in 20 years times it will be dude. Everyone will be on fibre and we'll probably scrap phone line rental and have "communications lines rental" which will include phone, internet and whatever else for £10/month.

Chrysalis
05-03-2011, 19:10
there will be some free internet service eventually I reckon, i first needs to get reclassified as a utility. Then there will be some form of government subsidised service available to people that will allow basic access for education and job finding purposes (walled garden).