PDA

View Full Version : Managed to get a new vmng 300.

t1m103
04-03-2011, 20:22
ive managed to have the so called superhub swapped for a vmng300,ive plugged back in my netgear wgr614 and now im only getting 21mb download (as expected not the full 30mb) as i dont think the router is upto the job of 30mb wireless,my question is what is the prefered router of choice to buy now for full speed via wireless?,preferably another netgear one.

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 20:25
Another forum numer (qas) recommended the D-Link DIR-615 as a good affordable router which can manage 50Mbps+ on the WAN side, and as a result I now have 3. I find them excellent, and as a lot of them are ex-VM stock getting them for ~£10 is a distinct possibility.

Congratulations on getting a Super Hub swapped for a VMNG300, by the way. I'm hoping to do that myself. Any tips on how you went about it? I'd love to know, as would many others I'd guess.

t1m103
04-03-2011, 20:40
had an engineer visit today,he basicly said straight away to have a vmng 300 he had in his van,stated he had swapped a few over with a lot better results than the superhub.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 20:41
had an engineer visit today,he basicly said straight away to have a vmng 300 he had in his van,stated he had swapped a few over with a lot better results than the superhub.
You are lucky as the virtually none in circulation.

jb66
04-03-2011, 20:46
Might have been my last one :(

t1m103
04-03-2011, 20:54
would a netgear wnr2000 be up to passing the full 30mb via wireless,and possibly faster if i upgrade to 50mb?.

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 21:42

That's excellent news. Hopefully when I call out an engineer in my area I'll get the same result.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 22:10
would a netgear wnr2000 be up to passing the full 30mb via wireless,and possibly faster if i upgrade to 50mb?.
That is the original router issued to the first 50Mb customers so more than adequate.

AdamD
05-03-2011, 04:31
Another forum numer (qas) recommended the D-Link DIR-615 as a good affordable router which can manage 50Mbps+ on the WAN side, and as a result I now have 3. I find them excellent, and as a lot of them are ex-VM stock getting them for ~£10 is a distinct possibility.

I got one of those when I signed up for the 50mb service a year ago, it's not a bad router indeed, but it behaves a lot better if you change the firmware to that Open WRT one.

zekeisaszekedoes
05-03-2011, 14:40
I got one of those when I signed up for the 50mb service a year ago, it's not a bad router indeed, but it behaves a lot better if you change the firmware to that Open WRT one.

I haven't tried that yet, but I've had some odd problems keeping my NAS online for days at a time when using DD-WRT on my secondary DIR-615 so I might try Open WRT on one of them. My main concern is... don't you have to use Ubuntu or similar Linux distro to compile your own builds?

Side note, if you are using DD-WRT for better wireless performance on the DIR-615 D2s I've noticed r14929 is the one to go for.

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2011, 14:57
Openwrt is still extremely unstable on the DIR-615, dd-wrt is far superior though still has its own flaws. I would not recommend it.

Some people have trouble getting the wireless to work properly without modifying the source code for the drivers and recompiling the firmware themselves, there's also issues with >60% packet loss on the ethernet ports with certain revisions (D1 & D2) unless you re-write the firmware with modified drivers for the ethernet switch.

zekeisaszekedoes
05-03-2011, 17:34
Openwrt is still extremely unstable on the DIR-615, dd-wrt is far superior though still has its own flaws. I would not recommend it.

When you say you wouldn't recommend it, you mean Open WRT right?

As I posted over on their forums, I think it's a toss up between stock firmware and DD-WRT with a few issues which appears to be the better option. I have current version r16214 on my main router running straight from the old Ambit 250 modem then r14929 on the secondary one which I connect my laptop and BlackBerry to. Performance with the older Ralink driver can be a couple of megabytes faster when doing LAN transfers wireless to wired. I'm getting some stability issues with either the stock 1.00VG firmware and whatever build of DD-WRT I put on the secondary one but I'm starting to think it's one of the devices connected to it that's at fault... long story.

My main problem is that IPv6 support via 6to4/Radvd scripting is missing on all the standard builds, which confuses me because I always thought it didn't take up much space in the compiled binary. I'd gladly lose some of the more esoteric features because right now I'm using a hacky Teredo workaround to give IPv6 tunnelling on any network, which requires running a batch file to set the route each time you connect to a network.

t1m103
05-03-2011, 17:48
ok in the end i opted for a netgear wndr3700,and so far so good,thanks for help.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1186002212.png
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/84.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

the only thing i find with this and the superhub is that web browsing seems to be slower,my netgear 614 was way quicker at opening pages....

zekeisaszekedoes
05-03-2011, 20:52
The Netgear WNDR3700 is DD-WRT capable, so I'd recommend flashing a recent build of that onto it. When my network is setup correctly web pages open as fast as the computer can handle, very fast caching of images etc if the host is good. And the great thing about DD-WRT is it's only ever as complex as you need it to be... by default it's set to autoconfig and usually works perfectly so you don't have to use the advanced features if you don't want to.

Also if you're using Windows make sure only the NIC you want to use is enabled - I noticed that if I have both wired and wireless enabled on my laptop, even with the ethernet cable disconnected pages can take two to ten seconds longer to open. With only one or the other, things are much more fluid.

Nopanic
05-03-2011, 22:00
Lets hope the techs manager doesn't find out.