PDA

View Full Version : New modem.. wireless router help.

gilesy87
03-03-2011, 18:50
Hey all,
Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to stuff like this.

My mum and dad have been with virgin for years, and the old modem we had gave in and my parents phoned up and got a new one sent. This is a completely new one and now I'm a little stuck.

Our old one had two ethernet ports on the back. We used one for this pc, the main one, and one to connect to our wireless router, which then went to a secondary pc, a laptop and xbox live. However, now with this new modem having only one ethernet cable in the back, i cant sort it for us to have internet on our laptop. Not sure if its a modeom or wireless router issue.

Currently, we have one ethernet cable from the modem to the back of this pc hence how I'm online. A few times ive tried connecting the wireless router via ethernet cable into the back of the modem. That gets rid of this pc's internet, but doesnt give us internet to our laptop.

The whole time we've been trying things, and even when my wireless router isnt connected to anything but is turned on, our laptop picks it up and is connected to it, just with no internet. Can anyone help???

We've ordered an Ethernet splitter in hopes that this would sort our issues out, but if anyone has a good idea, please let me know. Thanks all :)

Nopanic
03-03-2011, 19:40
Your modem had two Ethernet ports ? no VM cable modems have ever had two Ethernet ports ..

Do you have the model number ?

Peter_
03-03-2011, 20:01
I think they may have been using both the ethernet and USB ports to be honest.

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2011, 20:13
Didn't know that was possible either...

Peter_
03-03-2011, 20:16
Didn't know that was possible either...
Yes some legacy customers with old modems with both ports do actually get them working even though it should not really work and nor is it supported.

It is fairly rare nowadays but I did have one last week with a similar set up using a Motorola SB4200 that had failed.

I had to advise them to get a NIC fitted in the PC as it did not have one.:erm:

Arty-Media
03-03-2011, 20:32
Power down all equipment, connect Ethernet lead from modem to router, switch on modem, wait a few.mins till lights stabilize then power on router & connect an Ethernet lead to back of pc then power on pc.
Then your pc should get an ip address from the router and hey presto! :-)

gilesy87
03-03-2011, 21:21
Okay, obviously we werent using two ethernet ports as that doesn't/didn't exsist. Sorry if I'm making this hard, our family aren't great with technology.

We have only one ethernet port in the back of this pc (Old pc, assuming newer ones have more than one?) And that goes into the back of the modem. The model number for the modem we're using is: E080C013.00 - The serial for the wireless router is *1W92917J0782A*

Even when the buttons on the front light up and show we have wireless working and internet to it, we still can't get internet on the laptop. Say's a local connection is unplugged and I'm not sure what to do about it. Also, i think that kills internet to this pc. If i put the ethernet in the modem and the internet port on the router, by putting the pc's ethernet cable into port 1,2,3 or 4, should that give both my laptop and the pc internet? Or am i being really stupid?

Thanks for the help and advice all :)

pip08456
03-03-2011, 21:27
You don't go from PC to modem. You go PC to ROUTER to MODEM.

Arty-Media
03-03-2011, 21:41
Okay, obviously we werent using two ethernet ports as that doesn't/didn't exsist. Sorry if I'm making this hard, our family aren't great with technology.

We have only one ethernet port in the back of this pc (Old pc, assuming newer ones have more than one?) And that goes into the back of the modem. The model number for the modem we're using is: E080C013.00 - The serial for the wireless router is *1W92917J0782A*

Even when the buttons on the front light up and show we have wireless working and internet to it, we still can't get internet on the laptop. Say's a local connection is unplugged and I'm not sure what to do about it. Also, i think that kills internet to this pc. If i put the ethernet in the modem and the internet port on the router, by putting the pc's ethernet cable into port 1,2,3 or 4, should that give both my laptop and the pc internet? Or am i being really stupid?

Thanks for the help and advice all :)

If you read my post again and follow it then it should work! :-)

gilesy87
03-03-2011, 21:45
Am on the phone to some advice people - on hold with awful music lol - and if they cant help I'll try what you said Arty-Media. We've been able to get the wireless router internet connection and wireless working but still cant get our laptop internet. But will try everything you guys have suggested. Thanks so very much :)

Arty-Media
03-03-2011, 21:49
If you just follow my post you will be saved a phone call lol but its upto you, I've answered your request for help but you don't take it, I guess ya can't please everyone lol

gilesy87
03-03-2011, 22:07
No, I'm just going to try it now. I was explaining to my mum what you said, and she picked up the phone and dialed. I've hung up without getting through and going to try your option now. I really am very greatful :)

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Hey,

Just tried your advice and I'm typing now from my laptop! Your advice was great and everything worked really easily and how you said so in honour of how great you are I'm going to tattoo your username on my forehead ^^ lol but seriously thanks a lot

:)

Arty-Media
03-03-2011, 22:12
No, I'm just going to try it now. I was explaining to my mum what you said, and she picked up the phone and dialed. I've hung up without getting through and going to try your option now. I really am very greatful :)

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Hey,

Just tried your advice and I'm typing now from my laptop! Your advice was great and everything worked really easily and how you said so in honour of how great you are I'm going to tattoo your username on my forehead ^^ lol but seriously thanks a lot

:)

Hey!
Glad it helped you! Fancy uploading a pic of your new tattoo so I can see how it looks? Lol jokes! But seriously, I wouldn't mind a positive rep point if you would be so kind :-)

gilesy87
03-03-2011, 22:31
I'm just trying to find out how to do it and then i will. Thanks again :)

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

All done. Thanks :)

janipewter
03-03-2011, 23:57
Having a connection to your wireless router and having a connection to the internet are two COMPLETELY different things. You don't need one to get the other. Although if you have both, then that's a bonus as you can get on the internet....wirelessly.