PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Crashing? - Might help you

dukeofearl
03-03-2011, 16:05
I had had 20Mbit from VM happily running for many years with my own routers.

Changed to 50Mbit and a VM supplied superhub and the router was crashing every couple of hours :mad: - solid blue light and completely inaccessible locally as well as from VM support. Changed superhub and PSU, VM fitted an attenuator, but no difference...

Just about to throw the whole lot out of the window and switch to a BT fibre connection (they ring me twice a day to get me to switch!!) when I finally spoke to a very intelligent support person from VM! She asked for remote access to the router and "changed some settings" (without telling me what they were). Router has been fine ever since :) !!

I trawled through the settings and the only thing I could see that was changed was that the wifi network speed was reduced from 300Mbit to 145Mbit. Maybe there is a performance issue with the superhub processor that can't keep the wifi supported at the top rate, but whatever it is, it's certainly fixed the problem. I expect the neighbours are pleased too, as I can see from a wireless network viewer that my share of the channels has dropped too!!

As they say in the US, "your mileage may vary", but try it if your superhub keeps crashing...

Mick Fisher
03-03-2011, 21:42
I had to make that setting change and have sinced advised others to try it.

In my case it was because the wireless was continually disconnecting and reconnecting. I never heard of it fixing a locking up issue before.

Anything is possible with this piece of junk we've had foisted on us and damn well been ripped £30.00 for. :(

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2011, 21:52
Or £75, for the people that paid full-price

General Maximus
04-03-2011, 08:40
i just cant believe they have got the nerve to charge people for something that they know doesnt work. I wouldn't have it even if it was free

Arty-Media
04-03-2011, 09:51
What I don't understand is its free for tarrifs upto 30Mb, but for 50 & 100Mb they charge €75, surely the people on 50 & 100Mb are paying enough anyway... but hey that's just my reason to logic lol!

Chrysalis
04-03-2011, 11:42
the hardware is junk, to make myself feel better I remind myself for the £30 I resolved the downstream performance issues I had on non bonded channels.

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 19:06
We all need vmng300 modems, everybody try phoning up retentions and demanding them, see what happens. I'm going to try it myself tomorrow! :d

Peter_
04-03-2011, 19:10
We all need vmng300 modems, everybody try phoning up retentions and demanding them, see what happens. I'm going to try it myself tomorrow! :d
Good luck with that as you cannot have what they no longer supply.

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 19:36

Well, we'll see. There's usually ways and means to bend the rules a bit, especially in cases where a customer has been using VM and it's forebears for nearly two decades.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 20:40
Well, we'll see. There's usually ways and means to bend the rules a bit, especially in cases where a customer has been using VM and it's forebears for nearly two decades.
I have been a customer over 16 years as well but that will not be reason enough if they do not have to supply.

qasdfdsaq
04-03-2011, 22:20
You said engineers still do like-for-like swaps. How can they do like-for-like swaps on VMNG300's if they are not supplied? Has that changed so they're now replacing standalone modems with superhubs?

Peter_
04-03-2011, 22:28
You said engineers still do like-for-like swaps. How can they do like-for-like swaps on VMNG300's if they are not supplied? Has that changed so they're now replacing standalone modems with superhubs?
As jb66 has said in the other threads he cannot get any VMNG300 modems and I expect the same will be for standard modems, so if on a call he has to replace a modem he will have to fit a hub.

Whereas if I diagnose a faulty modem or the customer has a very old modem we can send out by courier a like for like replacement, which are either Ambit 256's or Cisco EPC2100's.

We have never been able to send out replacement VMNG300 modems as they were always done by technicians.

Thanks for asking the question though as it can get a bit confusing and it is good to be able to post the above.:)

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2011, 01:11
I see, thanks for the explanation. So older modems (Ambit 256's or Cisco EPC2100's) can still be replaced like for like but VMNG300's have to be replaced by Superhubs now...

Seems a bit silly to me... But then again, so do a lot of the decisions VM make...

Peter_
05-03-2011, 06:15
I see, thanks for the explanation. So older modems (Ambit 256's or Cisco EPC2100's) can still be replaced like for like but VMNG300's have to be replaced by Superhubs now...

Seems a bit silly to me... But then again, so do a lot of the decisions VM make...

It is something that senior management have in place, but older modems will be replaced by hubs if you have a technician visit.

zekeisaszekedoes
05-03-2011, 20:44
Or you might get lucky and find the newer Hub or Super Hub replaced with the VMNG300. Depends on the area I suppose, like a lot of things VM-related.

Peter_
06-03-2011, 08:41
Or you might get lucky and find the newer Hub or Super Hub replaced with the VMNG300. Depends on the area I suppose, like a lot of things VM-related.
Not very likely as the technicians should not have any VMNG300 modems and nor should they be installing them.

zekeisaszekedoes
06-03-2011, 13:29
I consider their breaking the rules in the name of common sense and customer satisfaction with cable services (the 3 CSs) completely acceptable. Employees that circumvent stupid company policies in this way are alright in my book.

Peter_
06-03-2011, 13:30
I consider their breaking the rules in the name of common sense and customer satisfaction with cable services (the 3 CSs) completely acceptable. Employees that circumvent stupid company policies in this way are alright in my book.
They cannot give you what they do not have so the are no rules to be broken.

zekeisaszekedoes
06-03-2011, 13:44
I see your point, but it's already been proved that some techs still have VMNG300s. VM aren't infallible, there's no need to pretend they are. :D

Peter_
06-03-2011, 13:54
I see your point, but it's already been proved that some techs still have VMNG300s. VM aren't infallible, there's no need to pretend they are. :D
Any tech that fits one can get himself in trouble and I rather expect the are very few out there.

Harryn9000
06-03-2011, 16:28
the hubs are not not the best for the 50mb upwards maybe lower yeah but when i had mine it was crashing constantly wireless dropout and acess denied to network aswell. i was constanly ringing over it and it getting blamed on high utillisation in the end i said to retention i want a new superhub as it my one was a heap of crap.

tech fella came on the 23rd feb when utillasation was supposed to be fixed in my area. since then had a phone call few days later from a senior tech fella in VM in the NW and he said if have a problem with anything ring him.

since 23rd haven't had a problem with the new superhub no more crashing wireless isn't the best but i getting 4 bar on my laptop most of the time. i signed up around christmas when u could get it for 20 quid activation only and free install. my advice it will get fixed eventually these are just teething problems it only been out in since late december give them a chance to sort it.