PDA

View Full Version : Guidance/Opinion

Another_Account
03-03-2011, 09:02
I initially posted this earlier on another similar thread that was potentially answered but I would be grateful for guidance/opinion

I am on 20mb and asked for an upgrade to 30mb and bawked at the £30 charge but Virgin put me onto the 50mb with little difference in monthly cost + free Super Hub. Due for intsall on Saturday.

When I read this post I started to panic with reference to the PS3 G and N debate..... I have 3 PS3's running off my current wireless and got from the above (forgive me if I wrong) that they wouldn't be compatible with the Super Hub? although they could be at a cost?

I've just phoned Virgin and they told me this is not the case and there are no add ons required, no additional costs..... I like the guy at Virgin Media and I like the Cable Forum.......there's only one way to find out

Can someone tell me if I worried over nothing - happy to cancel if need be - I've lived with 20mb for long enough and meets my needs

weesteev
03-03-2011, 09:05
Any wireless G device will just connect at its limited wireless G speed, PS3's are definitely compatible with the Superhub. Even if there are any technical issues to begin with, this should be resolved by the impending firmware update for the Superhub.

Another_Account
03-03-2011, 09:12
Thanks for the response m8; panic over :D

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 11:05
I've just phoned Virgin and they told me this is not the case and there are no add ons required, no additional costs..... I like the guy at Virgin Media and I like the Cable Forum.......there's only one way to find out

LOL!! Harry Hill? :D

I rang VM the other night to see that if I downgraded to 20mb was there an alternative to using the Superhub... they said NO! :erm:

My PS3 is unplayable online and i can't even browse the store for 5 minutes without 'DNS Errors' getting in the way! The upcoming Firmware better resolve these issues...

Another_Account
03-03-2011, 11:14
My PS3 is unplayable online and i can't even browse the store for 5 minutes without 'DNS Errors' getting in the way! The upcoming Firmware better resolve these issues...

Panic back on then:shocked: I've got two boys who live on the PS3

pabscars
03-03-2011, 11:25
LOL!! Harry Hill? :D

I rang VM the other night to see that if I downgraded to 20mb was there an alternative to using the Superhub... they said NO! :erm:

Probably just a wireless strength issue, is there no way you can go wired.

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 11:36
Probably just a wireless strength issue, is there no way you can go wired.

You might be right with the strength issue, it never goes above 70% and occasionally drops to around 60%.

I could go wired but then I'd have to travel a really long cable to it...

My Hub is upstairs on the landing... PS3 downstairs!

Another_Account
03-03-2011, 11:44
Steven,

Did you mention the fact that you live in a castle and your landing is three wings away, ;P

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 11:49
Steven,

Did you mention the fact that you live in a castle and your landing is three wings away, ;P

LOL! Yeah sorry! In the West Wing! :D

Perfect Choice
03-03-2011, 12:27
Just played WipeoutHD online on PS3 using wireless SH, was fine no problem. Also accessed Playstation store no problem. Gap between PS3 and SH is around 10 yards through one internal wall. I've made no serious changes to default settings except turn off IP flood detection as commonly advised.

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 12:38
Just played WipeoutHD online on PS3 using wireless SH, was fine no problem. Also accessed Playstation store no problem. Gap between PS3 and SH is around 10 yards through one internal wall. I've made no serious changes to default settings except turn off IP flood detection as commonly advised.

I would say mine is the same distance from my PS3 to upstairs where the Hub is... it's not a big house! Just your standard 3 bed semi.

I hate being told it has anything to do with my layout when my old DIR-655 was in the same position and had superb coverage and connection throughout.

pip08456
03-03-2011, 12:40
Connect your DIR-655 as an AP as a workround.

Perfect Choice
03-03-2011, 12:45
The SH shoud not be worse than your DIR-655 then. In my case, I previously had a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with a NTL:250 modem and the SH definitely improved my wireless coverage and also resolved a connection issue with my work laptop where it would only auto connect 50% of the time, now 100% with the SH.

Everybody's experience seems to be different which is the issue. I'm clearly OK but others certainly do have probelms with the SH, bring on that firmware update then for those affected!

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 13:17
Connect your DIR-655 as an AP as a workround.

Tried that... can't get the Hub to see it. I followed the instructions but just doesn't work!

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2011, 13:30
You don't need to get the hub to "see" it. A transparent bridge isn't "seen".

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 13:40
You don't need to get the hub to "see" it. A transparent bridge isn't "seen".

Ahh OK! Thanks for that...

Thing is though, I carried on regardless, following the instructions that are floating around the forum, but when I finally connect wirelessly to the DIR-655, it says No Internet Access

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! :erm:

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2011, 13:42
Which instructions are you following?

Which port do you have connected on the DIR-655 to the Superhub? It should be one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 13:43
Which instructions are you following?

Which port do you have connected on the DIR-655 to the Superhub? It should be one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.

Ahh! I read you connect the WAN of the router to the LAN of the Hub?!...

Peter_
03-03-2011, 14:10
Ahh! I read you connect the WAN of the router to the LAN of the Hub?!...
I have my Edimax connected in that way and I get internet access, but I do have DHCP disabled in the Edimax turning it into an access point

The is also this guidance from another site.

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 14:52
I have my Edimax connected in that way and I get internet access, but I do have DHCP disabled in the Edimax turning it into an access point

The is also this guidance from another site.

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub

Yeah! they're the exact instructions... but the only thing I can't find in my DIR-655, is how to disable DHCP! That might be my problem!

EDIT:
Hah! I just found an article on how to disable DHCP on DIR-655.. It's called 'DNS Relay' apparently... I have to disable that to turn it into an Access Point. Will give it a try later!

I bet that's what my problem is... :doh:

Peter_
03-03-2011, 15:23
Yeah! they're the exact instructions... but the only thing I can't find in my DIR-655, is how to disable DHCP! That might be my problem!

EDIT:
Hah! I just found an article on how to disable DHCP on DIR-655.. It's called 'DNS Relay' apparently... I have to disable that to turn it into an Access Point. Will give it a try later!

I bet that's what my problem is... :doh:
Here is the manual for the DIR655 http://www.scribd.com/doc/6254595/DLink-Dir655-Manual-Wireless-N-Router#outer_page_27

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 15:27
Ahh brilliant! Thanks Masque... :D

weesteev
03-03-2011, 15:31
The 655 is a superb router, used it for a long time before changing to the 855. That should outperform the superhub, even with the impending firmware update.

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 15:33
The 655 is a superb router, used it for a long time before changing to the 855. That should outperform the superhub, even with the impending firmware update.

Exactly! that's why I'm a bit disgruntled with my current wireless issues on the Hub. I really need to get this router working!

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 18:59
Almost there... I finally managed to get my DIR655 Wireless Router connected to the Superhub. Now I can connect wired but when I do a speedtest I don't get great speeds... any thoughts?

Also, I'm trying to connect wirelessly to the DIR655 but keep getting the 'Windows Cannot Connect'... all this techy stuff gives me headache.

Another_Account
05-03-2011, 16:23
Well folks - installed and I must admit no issues thus far - I'm running the laptop, 3 Ps3s and it's holding up well.

Would say though that when the Engineer tested the speed on Virgin's 'accurate' speed test I was looking at less than what i had on 20mb. Went to where I normally speed test and hit 43.7mbps down and 1.8mbps up. Fair chuffed.

Into the bargain it wasn't explained to me during my order that I was going onto the VIP package and I got another HD box for upstairs. Well done WM