PDA

View Full Version : SuperHub: Delay before page loads

dbateman2k5
03-03-2011, 01:29
Hi.

My SuperHub arrived at 2pm on 2nd March.

All activated and working fine (30Mb).

Just noticed that when browsing there is a delay of 10-15 seconds before it loads the page (didn't have this happen on old ambit modem (20Mb)/linksys router).

Also, the SuperHub config pages are also sluggish to load.

Any ideas on how to improve this?

I have done the following...

Turned off IP Flood Protection (on SuperHub)
Turned off Firewall (on SuperHub)
Configured DNS servers on PC side to use OpenDNS (which I used on my linksys router, without any issues)

...and a speed test...
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/100.png

Bulky
03-03-2011, 06:34
Try changing wireless channels

Edit : that's if you are using wireless ??

AndyCambs
03-03-2011, 09:01
Drop OpenDNS?

dbateman2k5
03-03-2011, 11:01
Not using wireless and this issue was happening before I changed the PC's DNS settings to OpenDNS.

I use OpenDNS as Virgin Media's DNS servers are unreliable at best.

Milambar
03-03-2011, 14:19
Not using wireless and this issue was happening before I changed the PC's DNS settings to OpenDNS.

Agreed, from personal experience, Virgin's own DNS servers are unreliable and slow.

Offtopic: ----------
I personally prefer Googles public DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), for now. I have no doubt that the only reason they offer it is so they can log what domains people are visiting, it IS Google after all, but as I don't much care.

AndyCambs
03-03-2011, 15:27

Sorry - should have probably clarified with "try dropping" and see what happens.

dbateman2k5
03-03-2011, 20:26
I have and no change,

Should I try changing to Google's DNS servers or look at my PC's network settings ?

dbateman2k5
04-03-2011, 03:12
Fixed this issue at last :)

For some strange reason the following setting change didn't take hold...

Firewall - Unticked

When I checked just now it was ticked, so unticked it, and clicked Apply, and the delays before pages load is now gone :)

Left my PC's LAN connection DNS settings set to use OpenDNS, as I prefer them to VM's DNS servers :p:

Finally happy with the SuperHub & 30Mb broadband :D

Updated speed test results...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/58.png

roughbeast
12-03-2011, 19:37
Fixed this issue at last :)

For some strange reason the following setting change didn't take hold...

Firewall - Unticked

When I checked just now it was ticked, so unticked it, and clicked Apply, and the delays before pages load is now gone :)

Left my PC's LAN connection DNS settings set to use OpenDNS, as I prefer them to VM's DNS servers :p:

Finally happy with the SuperHub & 30Mb broadband :D

Updated speed test results...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/58.png

Shouldn't you be getting somewhere nearer 3Mb upload?

leeb9972
12-03-2011, 20:08
Yep Untick Firewall AND IP flood
I called VM with same issues, since doing this, my speeds have been great and pages load instantly :)

fixerman
12-03-2011, 20:56

Not all areas have been upgraded yet to to allow higher uploads!

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Yep Untick Firewall AND IP flood
I called VM with same issues, since doing this, my speeds have been great and pages load instantly :)

Same here and I changed the channel from auto to a channel that is little used in my locality.

dbateman2k5
14-03-2011, 01:54

Checked the roll out schedule for 3Mb upload, and Fareham was shown as not being upgraded till July 2011.

zekeisaszekedoes
14-03-2011, 20:28
Even before upload speed upgrade, south Hampshire uBRs tend to be fairly respectable in terms of performance.

I never did get the Super Hub to respond as quickly, even with all the usual tweaks and being on the EuroDOCSIS3 overlay network. Maybe later.