PDA

View Full Version : clicking sound from their hub software and No bandwidth

donkey darby
02-03-2011, 21:09
Hi There

Well for any of you who have a clicking sound from your computer (the navigation sound) It's VirginMedia's fault!!

I thought I had a virus, as I thought some program was trying to open internet windows. No its their HUB software, which is used, for you who want internet protection from them.

It has a real problem with Internet Explorer 9. so uninstall this and put on
Internet Explorer 8.
I had to go hunting for this answer on their forum. go and have a read of their contempt for their customers reporting this problem if you want to get
angry.

Why didnt they email their customers and tell them?
Sorry, we all know why they didn't do this don't we?

I am paying for superfast BB. 50mb. then got <3mb
Well it took virginmedia 5 days to sort out the shortage of bandwidth in my area of leeds, after I rang them.

After they had, ehm fixed it. It then gave 5 to 30 mb sometimes 50. now a week later it's back to <5mb great.

I will have to phone again, Oh no, All I can say is, number one skill of working in a call centre, taking uk calls, is to be able to speak english properly.

Maybe we all should contact BBC's Watchdog.
DD

Mick Fisher
02-03-2011, 22:48
Dump the problematic VM security suite.

Install Avira Free AV, use your OS's built in firewall or get a free one from Privacy Ware, install free Malwarebytes and do a manual scan now and then, install free Spyware blaster and manually keep it updated.

That's all the security you need, doesn't slow your machine or make clicking noises.

Might even speed up your conn, you never can tell.

BenMcr
02-03-2011, 22:50
It has a real problem with Internet Explorer 9. so uninstall this and put on
Internet Explorer 8.
I had to go hunting for this answer on their forum. go and have a read of their contempt for their customers reporting this problem if you want to get
angry.

Why didnt they email their customers and tell them?
Sorry, we all know why they didn't do this don't we?
DDThere is no contempt. IE9 is still in relese candidate phase. It's not even official from Microsoft, so of course things may not work with it! That is the whole point of beta and RC stages - so that developers can test their products against and make changes before it's officially released

If you decide to put it on, then if things break then that is a risk you are taking. Virgin will support IE9 when it become an officially release product

Even Microsoft say this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/help/ie-9/is-the-pre-released-internet-explorer-9-right-for-me

You might want to wait for the final release of Internet Explorer 9 if any of the following apply to you:

You prefer to install software once, and don't want to mess with it again.
You get frustrated if software doesn't always behave as you expect it to.

donkey darby
04-03-2011, 00:06
Thanks for the replys

How about putting on the download page for the HUB software. not compatible with IE9 beta. just says at the moment IE6 or higher needed.

So contray to your 'I'm always right' doesn't ring true, in that respect. ;)

The software is very good, now it works properly. has speeded up my pc, and has checked all my software for updates and if it's working. so well done.

Thanks
DD

Milambar
04-03-2011, 02:05
The VM software really IS total rubbish. I had a friend whom had just migrated to VM, and installed their free software. All of a sudden, he complains that his PC is "running like a bag of scrap iron".

I went along, uninstalled the VM software, put avira free on it, and a few reboots later, he's a happy man.

Chrysalis
04-03-2011, 11:38
I remember my VM install, with tech watching over me I followed the wizard and installed the app, first thing I did when he out the door was uninstall it. Is also why I used my laptop as well so my desktop wasnt touched with it.

pip08456
04-03-2011, 11:42
Thanks for the replys

How about putting on the download page for the HUB software. not compatible with IE9 beta. just says at the moment IE6 or higher needed.

So contray to your 'I'm always right' doesn't ring true, in that respect. ;)

The software is very good, now it works properly. has speeded up my pc, and has checked all my software for updates and if it's working. so well done.

Thanks
DD

It is not the hub that is incompatable with IE9. It is IE9 is incompatable with the hub.

It's an RC for developers. Not for clueless Joe Public!

BenMcr
07-03-2011, 15:10
Virgin have just published some updates to their software to resolve issues caused by IE9

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/IE9-Fix-for-Digital-Home-Support-Hub-VM-Security/td-p/382087