PDA

View Full Version : Superhub-momentary connection loss

AndyCambs
02-03-2011, 10:29
I have a Superhub, and notice that the connection drops momentarily. Windows Live messenger pops up and tries to re-connect. It's only very momentary.
Both Firewall and Flood protection boxes are unchecked in the settings for the superhub.
I checked the event log and the following message is displayed:

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC==xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any ideas?
Thanks!

zekeisaszekedoes
02-03-2011, 11:06
Yeah, this is a pretty common Super Hub problem. Doesn't effect all of them, but enough of a majority that it's baffling how slow Virgin Media are being to get the update out which might fix it.

Unfortunately about the only option available to you is ring up VM on the 151 from the home landline and say "I want another Super Hub because I've got one of the many crap ones floating about."

Chrysalis
02-03-2011, 12:52
I get occasional drop outs also, my old cable modem seem to never ever drop, would stay connected for weeks at a time. Now the superhub seems to have some kind of issue at least once every 2 days.

pabscars
02-03-2011, 13:17
I get occasional drop outs also, my old cable modem seem to never ever drop, would stay connected for weeks at a time. Now the superhub seems to have some kind of issue at least once every 2 days.

+1

Mick Fisher
02-03-2011, 13:24
It's rare to see a day when my superhub don't spontaneously reboot?

It rebooted 3 times yesterday that I noticed.

Strangely there is never anything about it in Events?

My old 256 modem and even the ordinary Hub stayed up all the time.

StevenJohnson
02-03-2011, 16:06
My first hub kept loosing connection everynow and again...
Got my second hub last week, no disconnections, but wireless signal is terrible, internet really slow and PS3 keeps giving me DNS errors...

Can't complain otherwise... :rolleyes:

AndyCambs
03-03-2011, 08:52
According to information from the VM forum - just needs the Lease time for DHCP extending. It's set by default to one hour (3600 seconds) so I just extended it.

Nothing wrong with the hub.... and Ihope this might help some others.

pabscars
03-03-2011, 09:51
So what did you increase it too

KTroopA
03-03-2011, 10:10
According to information from the VM forum - just needs the Lease time for DHCP extending. It's set by default to one hour (3600 seconds) so I just extended it.

Nothing wrong with the hub.... and Ihope this might help some others.

where exactly do you enter this setting plz?

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 10:54
where exactly do you enter this setting plz?

I think it's LAN IP in the Advanced Settings

I set mine to 86400 (24 hours)

KTroopA
03-03-2011, 10:56
I think it's LAN IP in the Advanced Settings

I set mine to 86400 (24 hours)

AndyCambs
03-03-2011, 11:43
Changed mine to 2419200 which is 28 days.

StevenJohnson
03-03-2011, 11:53
Changed mine to 2419200 which is 28 days.

Sod it... let's go the full year... 30412800 :D

Mick Fisher
03-03-2011, 13:59
Bu I got DHCP switched off. :dunce:

Hee hee! There's always one ain't there. :)

I'll change it anyway and see what happens.

DHCP lease of 1 hour?? Who the hell set these defaults in the first place. :rolleyes:

AndyCambs
03-03-2011, 15:23
Sod it... let's go the full year... 30412800 :D

I just wondered what would be a safe, yet realistic option?

pip08456
03-03-2011, 17:11
Some routers have a forever option for lease time.

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2011, 17:28
Bu I got DHCP switched off. :dunce:

Hee hee! There's always one ain't there. :)

I'll change it anyway and see what happens.

DHCP lease of 1 hour?? Who the hell set these defaults in the first place. :rolleyes:
We have it set to 5 minutes at work >_<

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Some routers have a forever option for lease time.
DHCP itself doesn't have a "forever" option so the routers that have it just use a really long lease. DD-WRT for example issues a lease for 140+ years when you set it to "static" or "infinite".

Still, long enough as long as you don't have too many changing devices on your network.

pabscars
04-03-2011, 11:32
We have it set to 5 minutes at work >_<

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

DHCP itself doesn't have a "forever" option so the routers that have it just use a really long lease. DD-WRT for example issues a lease for 140+ years when you set it to "static" or "infinite".

Still, long enough as long as you don't have too many changing devices on your network.

What is the reason for the lease time, is it to release IP address's that are no longer in use ?

qasdfdsaq
04-03-2011, 23:51
What is the reason it exists or why do we use 5 minutes?

pabscars
05-03-2011, 12:36
What is the reason it exists or why do we use 5 minutes?

Sorry qas only just spotted your reply

Both and

Why would you need the function to adjust it on a basic home router.

Mick Fisher
05-03-2011, 14:11
I must say I have not noticed a reboot sincechanging the DHCP lease time, which is good. :)

But how comes it seems to make a difference when DHCP is Disabled.

zekeisaszekedoes
05-03-2011, 20:47

I know! It seems silly. I personally set my DHCP leases to ten minutes on most devices for reasons I won't go into here, but for most people 1 day or 7 days is a better option by default.

qasdfdsaq
07-03-2011, 00:24
Sorry qas only just spotted your reply

Both and

Why would you need the function to adjust it on a basic home router.
Well it's partly there to recycle old addresses, yes. We have a huge number of transient (short-term) sessions to handle, so our wireless DHCP leases are set to 5 minutes. It also aligns them with the default ARP timeout and session timeouts on the Cisco wireless controllers, so I guess it makes sense from that point of view too (I'm not 100% sure as I didn't make these decisions). Anyhow given the many thousands of unique device connections per day, and the short-term (minutes to hours average) nature of these connections a short DHCP timeout lets IP addresses get recycled more efficiently.

It wouldn't really be neccessary on most home users' connections I don't think, as the only time addresses would need to be recycled is when the user has over 250 unique devices on their network, which is pretty unlikely for the average home user. That said changing the timeout can sometimes be used as a workaround for certain bugs, like in this case, even though in theory it shouldn't have to. Then again that's pretty par for the course far as the superhub is concerned, you shouldn't have to turn off the basic security features to get a useable connection either :p:

pabscars
07-03-2011, 08:43
Thanks for the explanation qas,

much appreciated

pabscars
14-03-2011, 09:52
Anyone else noticed momentary lock ups (wired) with the Superhub whilst using the TB Ping monitor, I was having some odd behaviour on my Xbox on Friday night whilst online.

When I got selected as host in a game (Black Op's), my character would completely freeze every now and again then continue ok for a while, then freeze again for like 2 seconds at a time.

I backed out of the game and the game ended, proving I was in fact host. Also later on mid game I was completely booted out of Xbox live, I've never had this before from a wired connection at least.

So I had a quick look at the TBB results which showed absolutely nothing funny going on, in fact utilisation seemed relatively good.

I'm guessing the extra work the Superhub is having to do constantly responding to ping request's is causing it to fall over or lock up, so I'm gonna try switching it off for a few days and see if it helps.

zekeisaszekedoes
14-03-2011, 11:57
Yes Pabs, I've had similar things happening, where the ping test seems okay mostly but now and again there are total lockups whether you are wired or wireless. It's part of the many reasons I consider the Super Hub to be such a huge hunk of... well, anyway. :)

pabscars
14-03-2011, 13:28
Yes Pabs, I've had similar things happening, where the ping test seems okay mostly but now and again there are total lockups whether you are wired or wireless. It's part of the many reasons I consider the Super Hub to be such a huge hunk of... well, anyway. :)

I take it your back on your old set up now zeke.

Re: Superhub,
Make's you wonder if there is a bad batch of these in circulation, because some people appear to have zero issues at all despite putting it under heavy load. I noticed at the weekend at times the wireless strength was down to just 2 bars (10 feet away) and then a few mins later I get a full 5 bars.

zekeisaszekedoes
14-03-2011, 20:33
Yeah, back on my old setup, much faster and all the benefits of DD-WRT. But I noticed most of the problems when the Super Hub was fresh out of the box. I pop it back in every now and then, make sure it's not just me, but same results.

I'm a big believer of the "bad batch" theory, especially since VM haven't put forward any ideas of their own.

pip08456
14-03-2011, 22:33
Got to agree Zeke it does look like there is a bad batch out there. I mentioned elsewhere it seems they'll rather send a replacement out before a tech (I can quote cases from VM's support). If they see no connection problem with the tools they have send a new one!

@qas there's plenty out there if you want to rip one apart!

Must be costing them in more ways than one.

qasdfdsaq
14-03-2011, 22:40
You know me. I'll rip just about anything apart that has a circuit board in side it.

pip08456
14-03-2011, 22:47
I take it you haven't got hold of one yet then.