PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub queries

janipewter
01-03-2011, 19:20
Right I'm due to get 'upgraded' to Superhub in the next 2 weeks. I have some questions as I heard there's no way to disable the router function of the Superhub yet.

I run a fairly complex network, my current modem is connected to a Linksys WRT54G. Connected to that I have a box which runs my DNS and DHCP (both are therefore disabled on the router). I also have an 8 port switch and 5 port switch to which my various PC's, servers, NAS, games consoles etc are connected to. All of my network is on the 10.x IP range as opposed to 192.168.x and I want to keep the WRT54G in the network once I get the Superhub.

Can the Superhub IP address be changed to conform with the rest of my network?
Can I disable DNS, DHCP in the Superhub?
If I put the WRT54G in the DMZ of the Superhub, will my network play nice and will any wireless devices connected to the Wifi-N of the Superhub be able to talk to the devices wired into the switches/WRT54G?
Will my port forwarding still work?

Thanks.

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 19:26
Unfortunately the answer to all your questions is "maybe". Most of it should work in theory, but other people trying similar things have run into trouble along the way with a lot of things not working as they should.

zekeisaszekedoes
01-03-2011, 23:49
I would seriously recommend not upgrading to the Super Hub with a setup that complex. I run a three-router system myself and any problems that were present with just the Super Hub were intensified when it was connected to two other routers. The firmware is just awful.

Cancel the upgrade. Unless you like headaches. :D

janipewter
02-03-2011, 08:40
Thanks, I won't be cancelling the upgrade as free install and activation and only £5/mo over what I pay for 20Mb is far too good, especially considering it will have 5Mb upload in July.

I'm going to phone VM later today and make absolutely sure they send me a 50Mb modem and not the Superhub.

StevenJohnson
02-03-2011, 08:52
Thanks, I won't be cancelling the upgrade as free install and activation and only £5/mo over what I pay for 20Mb is far too good, especially considering it will have 5Mb upload in July.

I'm going to phone VM later today and make absolutely sure they send me a 50Mb modem and not the Superhub.

I thought you had to use the Superhub for 30mb and above?

zekeisaszekedoes
02-03-2011, 16:19
I thought you had to use the Superhub for 30mb and above?

Well VM want you to, but as far as I know the VMNG300 will support up to 100Mbps broadband using EuroDOCSIS3, maybe even 200Mbps. It was originally rolled out with the 50Mbps packages, and by all accounts is thoroughly reliable just like it's progenitor the Ambit 250/256.

VM just want everyone using the Super Hub so everything is unified across their network. I wouldn't mind that if it was actually a good piece of kit, but it clearly isn't for a notable number of people. I have an inkling that the bridge mode upgrade to force it into modem-only functioning won't cut it either, but I'd rather be wrong about that!

geoffreyc
23-03-2011, 11:44
Janipewter, did you succeed in getting a 50MB modem installed?

macguru32
23-03-2011, 12:20
Hi All, I've been following the on-going nightmare that is the Superhub for some customers for a while now on these threads.
I'm still thinking of upgrading from 20MB to 30MB and will of course have to change to the Superhub.
I currently have the 20MB cable modem connected via 20metre ethernet to a netgear router. I use the 4 built-in ethernet ports for my home office kit and the wireless for laptops, ipad and Wii.
So I can avoid any issues with using the Superhub in bridge mode can I instead replace the netgear router with a netgear 5 port gigabit switch and simply connect this to a single ethernet cable from the Superhub? In theory, the Superhub will handle all the NAT and DHCP while the switch will simply allow all internet traffic to pass through.
I would obviously have to use the Superhub for wireless (which might be worse than my current router) but I can live with that, I think.
Does anyone have any experience of using the Superhub with an ethernet switch rather than 'another' router in bridge mode?
Or should I wait for the Superhub bridge mode firmware update and keep my current router?

Mick Fisher
23-03-2011, 18:38
Hi All, I've been following the on-going nightmare that is the Superhub for some customers for a while now on these threads.
I'm still thinking of upgrading from 20MB to 30MB and will of course have to change to the Superhub.
I currently have the 20MB cable modem connected via 20metre ethernet to a netgear router. I use the 4 built-in ethernet ports for my home office kit and the wireless for laptops, ipad and Wii.
So I can avoid any issues with using the Superhub in bridge mode can I instead replace the netgear router with a netgear 5 port gigabit switch and simply connect this to a single ethernet cable from the Superhub? In theory, the Superhub will handle all the NAT and DHCP while the switch will simply allow all internet traffic to pass through.
I would obviously have to use the Superhub for wireless (which might be worse than my current router) but I can live with that, I think.
Does anyone have any experience of using the Superhub with an ethernet switch rather than 'another' router in bridge mode?
Or should I wait for the Superhub bridge mode firmware update and keep my current router?
Seems like a good idea if you value your sanity. ;)

Chrysalis
23-03-2011, 18:40
there is a way to make it modem only already but it seems its pot luck if you can do it as ssh seems to not work for everyone.

I tried to get my 2nd superhub registered but CS dont believe me I got it from a tech.

Peter_
23-03-2011, 19:32
I tried to get my 2nd superhub registered but CS dont believe me I got it from a tech.
It will probably be unassigned plus the will be no order or delivery note on the account either so as far as they are concerned and the system it cannot be added to your account.

Chrysalis
23-03-2011, 19:36
I would seriously recommend not upgrading to the Super Hub with a setup that complex. I run a three-router system myself and any problems that were present with just the Super Hub were intensified when it was connected to two other routers. The firmware is just awful.

Cancel the upgrade. Unless you like headaches. :D

These underlying issues also are unlikely to ever be fixed either.

If we take a look at 2 firmware updates VM have done.

One for the normal hub which fixes a xbox live upnp issue, and the superhub which fixes pingtest and a phone issue.

Both firmwares have the common theme they fix simple problems and only have one or 2 changes in them. We not going to start seeing firmwares like a router vendor rolls out with dozens of technical changes in each release. The main problem been VM is primarily a broadband/entertainment service company not a router hardware manufacturer. Any CPE they provide they will only care if it does core functionality ok, advanced functions part of other router's that are not used by many people will not be registered on the radar. For technical users the official fix will be the bridge mode, that will probably be it. After that I expect only simple things that affect a large number of people will get bug fixes. I suspect the poor firmware is also hiding poor hardware, things like the agressive low timeouts are probably covering up a chipset that cannot handle many nat sessions, poor wireless performance is likely an inherent hardware problem, usually on router's I own there is external antenae's for wireless signal's but the superhub doesnt have any. This I put as a comparison to comparing a indoor tv aerial to an external one, the external one will always perform much better.

Others have worked this out as well hence people asking for vmng300's as the superhub will stay poor for its entire lifetime. Bridge mode is the only beacon of hope on it to make it a viable device.

General Maximus
23-03-2011, 21:38
i really am praying that with so many problems peeps are reporting that VM will eventually give up and realise it isn't fit for purpose and let everyone keep the VMNG300. Why replace such a fantastic piece of equipment with something that is clearly sub-standard?

Chrysalis
23-03-2011, 22:02
If the poor wireless thing doesnt go away then we may see the superhub get replaced but I think it will just be a new variant of the superhub, I think VM will stay on this path now like BT did with the homehub.

If we get the bridge mode then that may be a acceptable compromise so everyone is happy. It looks like its coming now VM have given a date for it but its clear they reluctant to allow it.

Peter_
24-03-2011, 06:03
If the poor wireless thing doesnt go away then we may see the superhub get replaced but I think it will just be a new variant of the superhub, I think VM will stay on this path now like BT did with the homehub.

If we get the bridge mode then that may be a acceptable compromise so everyone is happy. It looks like its coming now VM have given a date for it but its clear they reluctant to allow it.
The Superhub is not going to be replaced anytime soon which is why the new firmware is soon to be tested.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 07:12
tell me the same in 12 months time.

Peter_
24-03-2011, 13:37
tell me the same in 12 months time.
No need I already have.;)

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 16:14
oh we have shot forward 12 months in a time machine now have we?

Stephen
24-03-2011, 16:37
The superhub is here to stay.

Peter_
24-03-2011, 17:40
oh we have shot forward 12 months in a time machine now have we?
No need of a time machine whatsoever as it is here for the long haul.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 18:09
in which case you dont understand.

even the CEO of VM cannot make such a claim as cannot predict the future.

General Maximus
24-03-2011, 18:28
it is just a shame they have done a half assed job. If they knew they was going to force people to use a particular piece of hardware for their connection, you would hope they would make sure it was capable of meeting customer's needs. It is like me saying from now on, if you want to watch Sky you have got to use the ****** tertiary branded tv from Tescos which nobody has heard of. I don't care if it is 32", hasn't got surround, not HD or anything else, that it what you have got to use and tough luck.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 18:58
VM staff are defending this like crazy, can you ever remember them defending equipment before like this?

pip08456
24-03-2011, 19:25
VM staff are defending this like crazy, can you ever remember them defending equipment before like this?

Perhaps because their main competitor (BT Infinity) uses a modem to connect to their HomeHub?

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 19:59
As I understand it on adsl BT will supply the homehub but its easily swapped out for a custom router.
On infinity openreach supply a FTTC modem (and homehub?), but people have been able to swap that out as well with a 3rd party one.

So in both cases its not enforced.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 20:22
BT Infinity arrange for a HomeHub to be sent to you (£5 p&p) the engineer will bring a modem on install.

Totally different to BT Total Broadband.

BT Infinity=Modem!

Modem = Whatever your network needs, be it the BT Hub or router of choice.

Superhub...........................????

Peter_
24-03-2011, 20:33
in which case you dont understand.

even the CEO of VM cannot make such a claim as cannot predict the future.
Well it is a good job that I know what is happening next and it still involves the Superhub so sorry to burst your balloon.:)

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 20:34
you mean what is planned next.

nothing is happening until it actually happens.

Peter_
24-03-2011, 20:43
you mean what is planned next.

nothing is happening until it actually happens.
As I said above the Superhub is here to stay.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 21:43
Perhaps as a router only on higher speeds?

Peter_
24-03-2011, 22:04
Perhaps as a router only on higher speeds?
The is no WAN port so it will stay as a combined modem/router with the option to run as a standalone modem once the firmware is rolled out.

macguru32
24-03-2011, 22:18
The is no WAN port so it will stay as a combined modem/router with the option to run as a standalone modem once the firmware is rolled out.

OK, so no WAN port, but can you use one of the 4 built-in ethernet ports to connect to an unmanaged gigabit switch, allowing connection of more than 4 wired devices on a home network?
Need to know because my current wireless/wired router is over 20m from my 20MB modem connected by ethernet. If I switch to Superhub, I'd have to use it for wireless but could still connect all my kit in my home office via the switch. Possible?

pip08456
24-03-2011, 22:21
Do not depend on the plooperhub for wireless!

Peter_
24-03-2011, 22:23
OK, so no WAN port, but can you use one of the 4 built-in ethernet ports to connect to an unmanaged gigabit switch, allowing connection of more than 4 wired devices on a home network?
Need to know because my current wireless/wired router is over 20m from my 20MB modem connected by ethernet. If I switch to Superhub, I'd have to use it for wireless but could still connect all my kit in my home office via the switch. Possible?
Click the link for detailed help.http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 22:46

yeah you just use one of the lan ports.

I am using my old billion7402nx gigabit adsl router as a gigabit switch and this works fine, I disabled dhcp on it so it acts as a dumb switch only.

macguru32
24-03-2011, 23:02
Thanks for this, I guess this is good news for my wired kit but still leaves the issue of wireless from the super hub! From all the posts on this issue, it sounds like bridge mode is the best option long term as the superhub clearly struggles with wireless.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 23:07
the same thing works for wireless, I disabled wireless on the superhub and the 7402nx is my wireless access point. Wireless devices connecting to my billion even use the dir615 as the dhcp server even tho it isnt the access point, works fine. (yes using 3 routers)

superhub connected directly to dir615 via wired
dir615 connected to superhub via wired and billion 7402nx via wired.

superhub is only used to forward to dir615 via dmz. wireless disabled. dhcp left enabed so dir615 can get a virtual wan ip of it.
dir615 wireless is disabled but dhcp enabled so this routes all my cable internet traffic.
7402nx dhcp is disabled but wireless enabled, this routes all my lan traffic and is wireless access point.

I also have a 4th router for my adsl traffic but it plays no part on VM and my adsl is going down in a week so will be gone then.

Itshim
25-03-2011, 09:04
Given my past posts please understand that I am easily confused.

Looking at the article about disabling the wireless part of super hub ( One was fitted today) it says "cannot connect to wireless router ". I thought that the engineer said that that is what he had done & if I wanted to use the super hub as a wireless router I could access advance settings & do so.

Didn`t have time to look before leaving & as long as its works with the Wii it will be left alone.Just more confused than I normally am!!!:dunce:

LASTED all of 20 min engineer to come back

Itshim
25-03-2011, 14:44
All fixed kink in cable ?

General Maximus
25-03-2011, 18:29
All fixed kink in cable ?

that's not good dude, I would strongly recommend changing the cable. Order one off the internet from somewhere like play.com and it will only cost you a few £ with free p&p

zekeisaszekedoes
26-03-2011, 21:33
Ha... routing is what it is most crap at!

I had mine running as a secondary router with DHCP switched off and it failed even more regularly than when acting as main modem/router.

If the Super Hub were an old loaf of bread, it wouldn't be one of those where only the first couple of slices were moldy and all the rest were edible. It'd be one where each slice is progressively more moldy than the last, with maybe three distinct types on the stinky green bottom crust piece.

Skie
26-03-2011, 22:31
And you could only get it from one supermarket, who would insist that it is the only way to receive high-grain breadband. Their ceo, though, would hoard stocks of good bread and hand it out to those who knew who to ask.

You do wonder how long it will take for Neil Berkett to wonder why the heck there is a pile of cable modems in his office, after hearing from his yes men that the superhub would be the best product ever and do away with all these other pieces of kit.

General Maximus
26-03-2011, 22:52
after hearing from his yes men that the superhub would be the best product ever and do away with all these other pieces of kit.

it is a good idea, they have just been cheap about it and done a half assed job.

Stephen
26-03-2011, 23:12
Do not depend on the plooperhub for wireless!

Bit of a generalisation. My superhub has never messed up or dropped the wireless.

Not everyone has issues with the superhub.

Slyder
27-03-2011, 00:03
I was gonna make a new thread, but there appears to be so many regarding the same thing. Please excuse my ignorence on this and I'm really not trying to hi-jack the thread - but hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I've currently got one of them superhubs and as part of an ongoing situation with VM I casually asked for a VMNG300 which I wasnt to sure if I would get or not. Well that arrived today so for the best part if you push hard enough you can still get hold of them it seems. Question is, my contact at VM will assign the mac to my account not a problem.. but is it worth it? - I have noticed the hub likes to throttle my downloads but I dont have any major gripes with it after disabling the flood detection, firewall and setting the wireless output to a lower mbps.

Using my own Linksys router is tempting and I cant see myself needing more then 50meg, let alone the 30meg I'm currently on. I was an avid fan of the Ambit modems though. I tried one of the older netgear hubs and it was shockingly bad. Suggestions / thoughts?

Milambar
27-03-2011, 04:03
Mines never dropped the wireless connection either, BUT...

It is a very weak signal with only about half the range as my old router. I used to like taking my laptop over to my friends across the road, sitting there, drinking beer, watching films, while chatting to my other half who is currently in the US, over the internet.

Now I have no chance, the wireless simply doesn't extend that far anymore. Yes, I could plug the old router back in (and do), but it kind of defeats the purpose of an all-in-one unit.