PDA

View Full Version : Whisky Description.

budwieser
01-03-2011, 19:14
:) A friend of mine gave me some 12 year old cask strength (57%) whisky on sunday to try and i decided to look at the distillieries home page.
They have a 1972 whisky for sale at £350.00 a bottle but the description left me a bit confused as to what it actually Tasted and smelt like. Have a read....................

Colour. A natural pale, yet bright Imperial gold. The light syrupy smoothness creates slowly forming legs on the glass which slowly meander.

Nose. The fruitiness of bananas, sweeties and fruit punch combine with the rich, yet subtle floral notes of apple blossom and elderflower, followed by nectarine and grapefruit with hints of vanilla pod and dry oak wood.

Palate. Light and syrup smooth at first with hints of liquorice and a spicy sweetness, followed by a ladder of delicate lemon peel and light cashew to reach new heights with an explosion of rich honeycomb sweetness and light oak. The aftertaste is dry and sweet.

Finish. A medium to long dry, lingering finish which is sweet and mouth warming, followed by glazed orange and sweet kaki. A delightfully rich candy concoction.

Lol.:rolleyes::rofl:

papa smurf
01-03-2011, 19:19
sounds like all that waffle that describes a bottle wine then it turns out it tastes like vinegar ;)

Stephen
01-03-2011, 19:25
So it will just taste like whisky lmao.

budwieser
01-03-2011, 19:33
;)The 12 year old Whisky was actually really nice. :tu:

Halcyon
01-03-2011, 20:53
:)
Colour. A natural pale, yet bright Imperial gold.

Urine then.

budwieser
01-03-2011, 22:01
Urine then.

Probably mate. ;) 39 Year old Whisky. Hmmmmmm:D
Would be nice to be able to afford finding out what it tastes like. :)

Pog66
03-03-2011, 13:27
i'll stick with my 15 year old cast strength for teh moment :-)

Chris
03-03-2011, 14:10
;)The 12 year old Whisky was actually really nice. :tu:

I should hope so too. 12 years is a good age ... Much beyond that and it gets a heck of a lot more expensive but without an awful lot of benefit in the flavour department (IMO). The experts generally seem to agree that there's nothing much gained by ageing whisky beyond about 16 years.

Incidentally, putting the year of bottling on the label is just clever marketing aimed at bumping the price up. Whisky ages in the cask but it doesn't age in the bottle ... Which is why it was bottled in 1972 yet is still a 12-year old.

As for the extensive tasting notes - well, it has become fashionable to talk about whisky tasting in the same terms as wine tasters do. So you swill it, sniff it, slurp it and swallow it in a windy sort of way and then describe your experience with reference to other sights, smells and flavours. The description you posted is, shall I say, one of the more overblown I have come across. :D

I have several good single malts in the cupboard at the moment, but IIRC I only paid for one of them. One of the advantages of having an accountant who doesn't like whisky in the family.

budwieser
03-03-2011, 14:16
I should hope so too. 12 years is a good age ... Much beyond that and it gets a heck of a lot more expensive but without an awful lot of benefit in the flavour department (IMO). The experts generally seem to agree that there's nothing much gained by ageing whisky beyond about 16 years.

Incidentally, putting the year of bottling on the label is just clever marketing aimed at bumping the price up. Whisky ages in the cask but it doesn't age in the bottle ... Which is why it was bottled in 1972 yet is still a 12-year old.

As for the extensive tasting notes - well, it has become fashionable to talk about whisky tasting in the same terms as wine tasters do. So you swill it, sniff it, slurp it and swallow it in a windy sort of way and then describe your experience with reference to other sights, smells and flavours. The description you posted is, shall I say, one of the more overblown I have come across. :D

I have several good single malts in the cupboard at the moment, but IIRC I only paid for one of them. One of the advantages of having an accountant who doesn't like whisky in the family.

Give it a try mate.;)
www.glengoyne.com (http://www.glengoyne.com)

Chris
03-03-2011, 14:19
Give it a try mate.;)

I've been meaning to for some time ... That's my local distillery. ;)

budwieser
03-03-2011, 14:20
I've been meaning to for some time ... That's my local distillery. ;)

I think you`ll be impressed, i was.:)

Chris
03-03-2011, 14:22
This is my favourite:

http://www.arranwhisky.com/Home/

peanut
03-03-2011, 14:22
Give it a try mate.;)

I have a bottle of 17 year old Glengoyne as I had a look around the place on my honeymoon. The difference between the 17 year old and the 12 is huge, I didn't like the 10/12 that much. I can't believe the price now of a bottle, £54 !

Though if I can remember there wasn't that much of a difference from the 21 to the 17 apart from being slightly sweeter as we got to taste most of that they do.

Not got much left, lasted me 2 years so far, but I don't think I'll be replacing it anytime soon at that price.

budwieser
03-03-2011, 14:48
I have a bottle of 17 year old Glengoyne as I had a look around the place on my honeymoon. The difference between the 17 year old and the 12 is huge, I didn't like the 10/12 that much. I can't believe the price now of a bottle, £54 !

Though if I can remember there wasn't that much of a difference from the 21 to the 17 apart from being slightly sweeter as we got to taste most of that they do.

Not got much left, lasted me 2 years so far, but I don't think I'll be replacing it anytime soon at that price.

2 Years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:
Probably last me a week if that!:D

peanut
03-03-2011, 14:52
2 Years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:
Probably last me a week if that!:D

It's for special occasions, so obviously I don't get many of those. :( :D

The one I've been trying to find is Oban 14 year old, but I can never find anywhere that stock it. Glengoyne is nice, but it's harsh (almost like a Glenfiddich), I prefer a 18 year old Glenlivet as I think it's one of the easiest drinkable single malts going. (Boring I know).

budwieser
03-03-2011, 15:45
It's for special occasions, so obviously I don't get many of those. :( :D

The one I've been trying to find is Oban 14 year old, but I can never find anywhere that stock it. Glengoyne is nice, but it's harsh (almost like a Glenfiddich), I prefer a 18 year old Glenlivet as I think it's one of the easiest drinkable single malts going. (Boring I know).

Try Here. ;) http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4132.aspx

Stephen
03-03-2011, 17:08
I've got a nice bottle of 10yr old Glengoyne and a 21yr old bottle of Royal Salute purely for special occasions as it's £100 a bottle.

budwieser
03-03-2011, 17:37
I've got a nice bottle of 10yr old Glengoyne and a 21yr old bottle of Royal Salute purely for special occasions as it's £100 a bottle.
:( I`m envious.

Hom3r
03-03-2011, 18:00
Urine then.

Thats american beer :D

Chris
03-03-2011, 21:29
Right, that's enough talk. I'm going to the cabinet. :D

Stephen
03-03-2011, 22:05
:( I`m envious.

This is the Royal salute

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11785.aspx

The ceramic bottle comes in a velvet sleeve in the same colour as the bottle and comes in a choice of 3 colours. Red, green and blue. To symbolise the colours of the jewels on the Queens crown. It's aged 21 years to symbolise the 21 gun salute at the coronation :)

peanut
03-03-2011, 22:17
This is the Royal salute

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11785.aspx

The ceramic bottle comes in a velvet sleeve in the same colour as the bottle and comes in a choice of 3 colours. Red, green and blue. To symbolise the colours of the jewels on the Queens crown. It's aged 21 years to symbolise the 21 gun salute at the coronation :)

:drool: Now that does looks nice and I bet it tastes good. :drool:

Stephen
03-03-2011, 22:37
It's lovely :)

Caff
03-03-2011, 22:52
I'll be the blonde at the end of the bar :D
Southern Comfort is plain warming and is great in cocktails.
JD and coke is... interesting
Is Jagermeister whiskey? It's interesting too.
:Sprint: