PDA

View Full Version : Network Disconnections

Zee
01-03-2011, 19:15
When there are many computers connecting to my router (VM Super Hub) the whole network seems to shut down (top light goes green with no other activity) only when i switch off and switch on the modem does everything work fine again.

The same happens in my friends house but he has the old ntl 250 with his own router, is there a problem with connecting many computers about 3 to a 30Mb connection?

With 2 computers it works fine and with 1 computer and an xbox on live its fine too.

General Maximus
01-03-2011, 19:26
shouldn't be dude, that is what routers are designed for. Having problems with the superhub wouldn't surprise me however I am surprised your friend is having probs with his own router.

The only scenario I can think of where it would seem like everything has frozen and none of the pcs/connections are getting anywhere is if that many pcs are using the internet all at once that your bandwidth is being saturated (i.e somebody is torrenting, somebody is playing a game, somebody is download mp3s) and everytime you each try to do something or load a webpage it is taking ages to send the request through and get a response because no juice is available. If this is the case it isnt really your router that is the problem because your actually only using a fraction of the bandwidth on your LAN and if you want to transfer a file to another pc for example, it would go no probs. The problem is the amount of traffic you are trying to push outside of your network.

Zee
01-03-2011, 20:21
Could be, but usually, like now the top and bottom lights are flashing blue and the middle one is solid green, when this happens, all lights shut off except the top light which is solid green.

Peter_
01-03-2011, 20:24
Could be, but usually, like now the top and bottom lights are flashing blue and the middle one is solid green, when this happens, all lights shut off except the top light which is solid green.
Now that should not happen at all so the must be a fault.

Please post the Upstream and Downstream stats from your modem just click http://192.168.0.1/ the username is admin and the password is change me, then click on the small red writing that says advanced settings then look down the left hand side and under Maintenance click on connection and copy and post the details from there.

Or just call Technical Support and explain the issue to them.

General Maximus
02-03-2011, 00:11
were they actually off when you was writing this message? The green light is the power light and th blue lights are for your upstream and downstream, if they were off I would have thought you would have lost your connection altogether.

zekeisaszekedoes
02-03-2011, 00:45
I've had the problem where older routers start to act oddly when multiple users are sending data back and forth. Usually means it's time to replace it.

The Super Hub does tend to do this when brand new if you got a duff one, sadly.

General Maximus
02-03-2011, 09:40
The Super Hub does tend to do this when brand new if you got a duff one, sadly.

:rofl: