PDA

View Full Version : Just a rant really!

StevenJohnson
01-03-2011, 10:55
In the interest of me not wasting your time, I'd leave now, this is just a RANT!

I'm so annoyed and irritated by my experience with the Hub and VM that I think I've stressed myself out...:mad:
I received my second hub last week hoping that it wouldn't bring the same wireless issues as the first... HUGE! dissapointment and last night just tipped me over the edge.

Internet was so slow over my wireless connection that at certain times it wouldn't load websites, my PS3 kept logging out and then wouldn't log back in until I rebooted the Hub... it's been like this for almost 4 week now and VM can't do anything. There's no point ringing them or posting on the Official Forums because they just repeat the same old script... "Change channel, turn off IP Flood and Firewall, change this, change that...", none of which have improved my wireless connection. I can't even connect up my own Wireless Router (DIR-655) because "apparently" it isn't compatible due to the way it handles DHCP or something... :erm: and if anyone tells me it's down to the layout of my house one-more-time, I will EXPLODE!! , My DIR-655 was in the same position of the Hub and provided the house with excellent wireless coverage and performance.

I got so wound up last night that I was almost on the brink of cancelling the direct debit through my bank... "Well! why should I pay for something that isn't functioning correctly?", they have a cheek to still take my money when they know it has issues... :shocked:
Sure, there's a fix coming out sometime in April/May, but what if when that arrives it doesn't solve anything?

It's so frustrating not being able to do anything...

I tell you this much VM! If that fix doesn't resolve my issues, I will be cancelling without hesitation.

:mad:

MK1
01-03-2011, 11:00
Don't worry your'e not the only one experiencing problems, we've all got to wait for this upgrade. Just hang on in there. In the meantime experts on here might be able to help and make your connection a bit better.

StevenJohnson
01-03-2011, 11:06
Don't worry your'e not the only one experiencing problems, we've all got to wait for this upgrade. Just hang on in there.

I know, thanks MK1...

It's just everything was working brilliant before this stupid upgrade and now I can't go back. It's so frustrating, that feeling of paying money when things aren't right... I just can't do it!

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 12:11
As long as you can turn off the DHCP on the DIR-655 you can use it as a 'dumb' switch and wireless access point, which should solve your wireless problems. Additionally you could go for double-NAT which has its own caveats but also "works" for basic use, such as wireless.

As for the Superhub problems, you're far from alone but on the other hand, VM have gone for the needs of the many over the needs of the few, and considered it acceptable to peeve off a good number of customers for the "greater benefit" of themselves and others. Meh, companies do it all the time.

boroboi
01-03-2011, 12:23
As long as you can turn off the DHCP on the DIR-655 you can use it as a 'dumb' switch and wireless access point, which should solve your wireless problems. Additionally you could go for double-NAT which has its own caveats but also "works" for basic use, such as wireless.

As for the Superhub problems, you're far from alone but on the other hand, VM have gone for the needs of the many over the needs of the few, and considered it acceptable to peeve off a good number of customers for the "greater benefit" of themselves and others. Meh, companies do it all the time.

Was about to suggest the same thing.

My friend had a poor wireless signal with the hub when he first got 50MB... i installed an access point outside of the room the computer was in upstairs and it was exactly the same! HA! Needless to say, he's an XBOX gamer so i pretty much told him he needs to go wired anyway. I hate wireless connections with a passion.

StevenJohnson
01-03-2011, 12:26
Thanks guys! I will try my DIR-655 again, but like I said, when I was on the phone to VM about it, they said that model wasn't compatible because of the way it handles DHCP... so annoying when they tell you different stories all the time. I could probably ring them again and be told it is compatible.

I will check tonight to see if I can switch DHCP off...

Thanks again!

pip08456
01-03-2011, 12:28
Here's one of the workrounds.

Try this

* Plug your cable router’s WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the VMDG280.
* Plug your PC into any VMDG280 LAN port and access the management page by entering 192.168.0.1 into your web browser
* Login to the VMDG280 the username/password details are on a sticker on the side of your hub (more help here)
* On the LAN IP page examine the DHCP lease info; you should see your PC and the second router list.
* Note the MAC address of the router and add it to the DHCP reservation section and give the second router an IP address of 192.168.0.10. (Use ipconfig /all in a cmd window to find the MAC address of your PC if your not sure which is which)
* Now go to the DMZ host page on the VMDG280 and enter the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.10). This means that the VMDG280 will pass all traffic to the second router without any checks or filters
* Additional Suggestion:- At this stage it would also be wise to turn off the VMDG280 wireless functionality and firewall and let your second router provide this for you
* Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login to the second router and set the router’s WAN setup for "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO, this may also be known as Internet Connection type - "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" (it varies from router to router) and then you should see the WAN or internet as 192.168.0.10
* Connect any remaining devices to the second router as the Virgin Hub is now being used as a basic modem only
* The changes are now complete

The instructions above will work for the VMDG280 and VMDG480

boroboi
01-03-2011, 12:28
Most routers have an option to disable the DHCP server.

StevenJohnson
01-03-2011, 12:45
I also noticed that my DIR-655 has the MAC address printed on the bottom of the device, but shows a different MAC address when connected to the laptop?

I tried both but none seem to work...

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 16:02
Thanks guys! I will try my DIR-655 again, but like I said, when I was on the phone to VM about it, they said that model wasn't compatible because of the way it handles DHCP... so annoying when they tell you different stories all the time. I could probably ring them again and be told it is compatible.

I will check tonight to see if I can switch DHCP off...

Thanks again!
VM say a lot of things which aren't entirely true, especially on the phone. :p:

StevenJohnson
01-03-2011, 17:10
Well i did it...

I've tried everything and can't get my Wireless Router to work along with the SHub, so I just rang VM and asked that they downgrade my broadband to 20mb so I can use the stand alone modem along with my own router. They obviously asked my reasons for this... :D I didn't hold back and took great pleasure in telling them.

zekeisaszekedoes
01-03-2011, 23:40
Man, the more posts I see like this, the more I think VM should have just ordered up a new batch of VMNG300s and kept up the seperate modem/router thing. Failing to get a good integrated unit released to customers twice in a row, and being slow to sort out the kinds of problems that resort to people choosing slower services for stability scuppering profits in some cases, verges on the edges of failing, epic style.

Web-Junkie
02-03-2011, 00:13
I also noticed that my DIR-655 has the MAC address printed on the bottom of the device, but shows a different MAC address when connected to the laptop?

I tried both but none seem to work...

You're probably seeing the MAC address of the WLAN card in your laptop!

StevenJohnson
02-03-2011, 08:18
Man, the more posts I see like this, the more I think VM should have just ordered up a new batch of VMNG300s and kept up the seperate modem/router thing. Failing to get a good integrated unit released to customers twice in a row, and being slow to sort out the kinds of problems that resort to people choosing slower services for stability scuppering profits in some cases, verges on the edges of failing, epic style.

It is frustrating zekeisaszekedoes,

Also, this is supposed to be a SuperHub

We shouldn't have to be using extra equipment to improve it!

zekeisaszekedoes
02-03-2011, 10:56
Call me Zeke. ;)

It seems ironic that the thing was rolled out to prevent exactly the kinds of confusion and problems that are relatively common to anyone with more than very light/basic internet use regardless of how many devices are on the network. They have a fine modem in the VMNG300 and end user router solutions were improving (their previous DIR-615 was great for 50Mbps and less packages) so why ruin it all with two shoddy Hubs, one with the word Super when it clearly isn't.

It's more confusing than anything else. A shame really, because in my area the fiber optic service has been close to advertised speeds and is very fast/stable... IF you're running CPEs that are up to the task.