PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media disabled my old modem too early?

Broken Hope
28-02-2011, 19:52
I ordered a 30Mb upgrade late last week and was told that my superhub would arrive today which it did, what I find odd and also fairly stupid is about midnight last night they decided to deactivate my modem, hours and hours before I'd even get chance to receive my superhub and activate it, the woman on the activation line seemed surprised by this, I'm guessing this isn't normal?

jb66
28-02-2011, 20:21
I've seen it several times,

chrispy2000
28-02-2011, 21:38
I had a similar thing, got my super hub last Tuesday was going to leave it till Saturday to swop. Friday night had problems with BB so rebooted old modem, then nothing.
Why can’t they wait till you phone up to register.

Broken Hope
28-02-2011, 21:46
I've also read about others getting a mile long Ethernet cable with their quick start pack, I didn't, though thankfully I didn't need it for my particular setup.

e23
28-02-2011, 22:22
Same here. We received the superhub over a week ago after opting for the 'free' 30mb broadband upgrade, but (bearing in mind the problems we've had in the past) this time I was cautious so just put it to one side for the time being.

This weekend our internet crashed (modem light just flashing). We were busy so just kept resetting it, but eventually I phoned tech support. I told them I hadn't installed the hub yet but there was no mention of the old modem being disabled, just talk about some problems being reported locally, or maybe there was a hardware problem with my modem. An engineer visit was booked for Tuesday.

This morning (Monday) it occured to me that if my modem was broken I should try connecting the new superhub and, what a surprise, it worked.

I don't recall receiving any information about our 'old' equipment becoming technically incompatible once we upgraded to 30Mb broadband, and it seems a bit convenient that my 'old' modem should stop working, so was this caused by planned obsolescence?

Nopanic
28-02-2011, 22:38
What was your old modem ? unless it was a SH or a VMNG300, it wont work with 50Mb.

The issue some customers are seeing is down to the way fault teams incorrectly deal with accounts. Nothing to do with VM cutting you off .. just a mistake that has been addressed several times now.

Broken Hope
28-02-2011, 23:10
I was on an ambit 256 on the 20Mb service, I realise that doesn't work on the 30Mb service but surely they shouldn't have tried to upgrade my service until the Superhub had been activated, the old modem was definitely disconnected, in the modem pages it clearly stated network access denied and in the event log it stated the DHCP server wasn't handing out a lease.

Mr_Moo
02-03-2011, 09:27
Its probably done automatically. No human intervention at all.