PDA

View Full Version : Superhub. Anyone had this problem?

badboybubby
27-02-2011, 12:45
My Superhub will on occasion only let so may clients connect which causes great inconvenience. I also have the random disconnects issue but I think most people are experiencing that one.

IE,

HTC Desire connected ok
Wifes Ipod Toch connected ok

Now the hub wont let any other clients connect via wi-fi??? (I have another 3 clients, DAB Radio, Laptop and PC)

Its almost like the hub isn't assigning addresses correctly, the only way to fix was to reboot the hub by switching off and on again.

Ps. Is there a reboot option in the Superhub configuration pages as I cant see one?

cheers

bubby

Paul
27-02-2011, 13:15
Title changed.

If you want to be childish, do it somewhere else.

fixerman
27-02-2011, 13:29
My Superhub will on occasion only let so may clients connect which causes great inconvenience. I also have the random disconnects issue but I think most people are experiencing that one.

IE,

HTC Desire connected ok
Wifes Ipod Toch connected ok

Now the hub wont let any other clients connect via wi-fi??? (I have another 3 clients, DAB Radio, Laptop and PC)

Its almost like the hub isn't assigning addresses correctly, the only way to fix was to reboot the hub by switching off and on again.

Ps. Is there a reboot option in the Superhub configuration pages as I cant see one?

cheers

bubby

No! I don't experience this problem. I have mine for just a few days but so far it has on occasions been fine when used to connect three desktop PCs, two laptops, one iMac, one iPad, one iPhone, two Internet radios, a wireless network printer and two Apple TVs. All at the same time. I have made no configuration changes. It is as it came out of the box.

Hugh
27-02-2011, 14:25
I have the Superhub, and don't have this problem, and have a lot of devices attached.

Downstairs wired - cable to upstairs wireless router, and Bluray player
Downstairs wifi - Wii, SWMBO's laptop, my laptop, daughter's laptop, tablet, iTouch, HTC Desire, Blackberry, and my son's laptop and Blackberry when he's home.

Upstairs wired - office PC
Upstairs wifi - PC in son's bedroom, PC in daughter's bedroom, Apple TV in our bedroom.

The laptops/tablets/smartphones roam between up and downstairs with no issues.

The reboot option is the press switch at the back/bottom of the Superhub.

On the number of devices, have you made any config changes in the advanced section of the SH config? (such as limiting number of IP addresses available, or set on the MAC address limitations).

badboybubby
27-02-2011, 17:41
I have the Superhub, and don't have this problem, and have a lot of devices attached.

Downstairs wired - cable to upstairs wireless router, and Bluray player
Downstairs wifi - Wii, SWMBO's laptop, my laptop, daughter's laptop, tablet, iTouch, HTC Desire, Blackberry, and my son's laptop and Blackberry when he's home.

Upstairs wired - office PC
Upstairs wifi - PC in son's bedroom, PC in daughter's bedroom, Apple TV in our bedroom.

The laptops/tablets/smartphones roam between up and downstairs with no issues.

The reboot option is the press switch at the back/bottom of the Superhub.

On the number of devices, have you made any config changes in the advanced section of the SH config? (such as limiting number of IP addresses available, or set on the MAC address limitations).
Its set up as it left the factory...
Cheers for the info

Paul
27-02-2011, 18:07
Two posts removed, one edited.

If anyone else wants to continue with childish names or test my patience then Im more than happy to hand out warnings.

zekeisaszekedoes
27-02-2011, 18:45

Replace assigning addresses with working and you've got it in one - about EVERY problem this thing has. ;)

Looks like you received one of the numerous defective Super Hubs. Consider sending it back immediatly.

idi banashapan
27-02-2011, 22:44
mine works ok, but every 2 days or so it decides it doesn't want to supply a wireless connection for anything, requiring me to cycle the power on it. everything else seems ok. I'm hoping a firmware update that is due might resolve the issue, otherwise I'll be tempted to reinstate my linksys wireless router, shove that on the DMZ of the 'superhub', turn off the superhub wireless capability, and then administer connections via the linksys.

Skie
28-02-2011, 18:05
I get the opposite problem, once a week it decides that wired connections are the devil and will only work via wifi. Now if the hub had a reset option in its sparse menus that would be nice, as it is I have to clamber into a cupboard and kill power to the attic to reset the thing.

toady
28-02-2011, 18:15
Mines been fine since day one :)

pip08456
28-02-2011, 18:25
It would appear, as has been admitted by VM that the "Super ' mega-blooper' Hub" has problems.

VM have been, so far, trying to paper over the cracks by blaming anything but the equipment.

At least with the 50Mb Modem the problem was identified quicker and a firmware "quick fix" update was released with a stable one later.

With this piece of (insert your own adjective I've already got 2 points) the Indian call centre keep blaming anything but the "Super ' mega-blooper' Hub" and you get no futher.

A big FAIL on VM's part.

I would add that if "Super ' mega-blooper' Hub" is good enough for a thread title on VM's own forum it should not be considered childish here.

That though depends on one's point of view and sense of humour.(and if you drink Dr Pepper!).

Mick Fisher
28-02-2011, 18:56
The superhub is VM's biggest own goal to date IMO.

craigj2k12
28-02-2011, 22:33

apart from their "so called" contention ratios giving me upwards of 50ms of jitter

zekeisaszekedoes
28-02-2011, 22:37

I know! You would have thought that after the numerous issues they had with the regular Hub, VM would be extra vigilant with the replacement.

I wonder if whatever replaces the Super Hub will be even worse? ;)

qasdfdsaq
28-02-2011, 23:17
Ultrahub?

MK1
01-03-2011, 07:07
Ultrahub?

If they've got any customers left by then.

grim reaper
01-03-2011, 20:57
mine works ok, but every 2 days or so it decides it doesn't want to supply a wireless connection for anything, requiring me to cycle the power on it. everything else seems ok. I'm hoping a firmware update that is due might resolve the issue, otherwise I'll be tempted to reinstate my linksys wireless router, shove that on the DMZ of the 'superhub', turn off the superhub wireless capability, and then administer connections via the linksys.

Had exactly the same problem so instead of allowing the hub to select the best wireless channel (default setting) i set mine to a fixed channel (11 in my case) and the problem ceased

idi banashapan
01-03-2011, 21:12
Had exactly the same problem so instead of allowing the hub to select the best wireless channel (default setting) i set mine to a fixed channel (11 in my case) and the problem ceased

Yeah. Mines on 9 but still does it

Skie
01-03-2011, 22:17
Can we call it the Superdud?

AndyCalling
01-03-2011, 23:39
To reset, simply keep a backup save of your router settings and restore it when you want to reboot. Simples. I've had to do that with every Netgear router I've owned. It's no biggie.

Skie
02-03-2011, 22:31
Ah, good info to have in the future. Cheers!

craigj2k12
03-03-2011, 14:21
sounds good in principle, but if its backing up the problem, and restoring it when you restore from the backup, its a bit pointless.

I havnt tried this but ill give it a go next time the stuperhub dies on me, it will make my job of a reset a bit easier if i can restore it from a backup.

just taken a backup now

idi banashapan
03-03-2011, 15:19
To reset, simply keep a backup save of your router settings and restore it when you want to reboot. Simples. I've had to do that with every Netgear router I've owned. It's no biggie.

Might not be a biggie, but it doesn't make it right. The fact it appears to have happened so often in your experience of netgear equipment that you have actually come up with this plan is just a great example of the quality I've come to expect of netgear. I have always avoided them until now due to consistently poor reviews online and from people I know who have bought netgear. I guess VM fell foul of the whole 'cheapest bidder'... Get what you pay for, eh?

Chrysalis
04-03-2011, 11:51
Virgin media megahub coming soon.

No PORT forwarding - this confuses our customers and adds work for our support staff.
No DMZ - this overloads the router causing crashes etc. so we remove it to make your service more stable.
No 300mbit wireless - the router cannot handle the mode so to fix the problem we remove the feature.
Auto reboot - the megahub will auto reboot daily and more if needed so you no longer have to bend down to reset the power.
Timeouts - we further increase the capability by making every connection time out after just 5 seconds. Now can handle even more load.
Flood protection, - this is enhanced, it will now go further and block those pesky speedtests as well as ping tests and browsing.
Reboots - to reboot on dhcp changes isnt enough, to ensure the settings are applied properly, we will now reboot on every setting you change.

Mick Fisher
04-03-2011, 12:30
Virgin media megahub coming soon.

No PORT forwarding - this confuses our customers and adds work for our support staff.
No DMZ - this overloads the router causing crashes etc. so we remove it to make your service more stable.
No 300mbit wireless - the router cannot handle the mode so to fix the problem we remove the feature.
Auto reboot - the megahub will auto reboot daily and more if needed so you no longer have to bend down to reset the power.
Timeouts - we further increase the capability by making every connection time out after just 5 seconds. Now can handle even more load.
Flood protection, - this is enhanced, it will now go further and block those pesky speedtests as well as ping tests and browsing.
Reboots - to reboot on dhcp changes isnt enough, to ensure the settings are applied properly, we will now reboot on every setting you change.
Very good :D