PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a SatNav

Halcyon
27-02-2011, 12:44
Hi,

Since I've started driving I feel a little nervous still when driving to places I don't know and thought a SatNav could help me and give me advanced warnings and help plan my journey.

Could anyone reccomend any to me. A friend said Garmin are good.

It has to be close to £100 if possible as I am limited on money at the moment.

Ideally I'd like it to show lanes and good displays of where to turn off onto roads.

I don't know much else about them so am open to suggestions.

Also if I get a UK one, can I upgrade the software to Europe later on?

Many thanks for your reccomendations.

Peter_
27-02-2011, 12:48
Before purchasing a standalone Satnav have you checked if the is a one that works on your mobile phone, I have a Nokia and OVI Maps are free and and as good as my daughters TomTom.

Gary L
27-02-2011, 12:55
TomTom are the best I'd say.

papa smurf
27-02-2011, 13:12
my old sat nav packed up a month ago so i purchased a Binatone F350 with UK and ROI GPS Sat Nav from argos £60 it works fine .

Hom3r
27-02-2011, 13:24
TomTom hands down.

You can get Tomtoms that support bluetooth phones and use it as hands free.

Some have enough space to play MP3s.

vanman
27-02-2011, 13:35
Hi,

Since I've started driving I feel a little nervous still when driving to places I don't know and thought a SatNav could help me and give me advanced warnings and help plan my journey.

Ideally I'd like it to show lanes and good displays of where to turn off onto roads.

word of warning ! don't just rely on the sat nav use your eyes and your common sense. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23809822-satnav-is-to-blame-says-driver-rescued-from-swollen-river.do

Gary L
27-02-2011, 13:42
A few being,
Go straight on through red lights. turn into someones drive. drive up a no entry. drive up a one way the wrong end. drive faster than you normally would because you think Jane can't keep up.

Hom3r
27-02-2011, 13:48
word of warning ! don't just rely on the sat nav use your eyes and your common sense. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23809822-satnav-is-to-blame-says-driver-rescued-from-swollen-river.do

A few being,
Go straight on through red lights. turn into someones drive. drive up a no entry. drive up a one way the wrong end. drive faster than you normally would because you think Jane can't keep up.

Sorry but numpties that do that should be made to retake their driving test.

Sat nav is an aid.

Hugh
27-02-2011, 13:57
If you have an Android phone, Google Maps with Navigation is free (and very good).

Halcyon
27-02-2011, 14:21
Thanks for your replies so far.
I dont count on the statnav replacing my vision of the road, just as an aid to help me.

I have an iphone so will have a look if there is an app.
I thought getting a stand alone unit would be better though.

Chris
27-02-2011, 14:27
A good sized screen is useful to glance at and verify a verbal instruction that you didn't quite understand - for that reason I would not choose to use a sat nav on any but the largest smartphones.

The TomTom One that we have is about 3 years old and is great. Basic, as the range goes, but does everything we need it to. The only thing with it is the map is getting a bit out of date, but we can buy an update for that when it becomes too much trouble, so no problems there.

Hugh
27-02-2011, 14:28
Chris, agreed.

We used the Google Maps/Navigation on a HTC Desire, and it was very clear, and also speaks the directions.

Gary L
27-02-2011, 16:44
and also speaks the directions.

That's a very handy thing to have with Satnavs.

jamiefrost
27-02-2011, 17:28
Go with your phone if you can, other wise I would go with Tom Tom best interface I've used

JJ

Chris
27-02-2011, 17:40
Thanks for your replies so far.
I dont count on the statnav replacing my vision of the road, just as an aid to help me.

I have an iphone so will have a look if there is an app.
I thought getting a stand alone unit would be better though.

This review is a little old but probably still useful.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/which-is-the-best-sat-nav-app-for-iphone--663917

Remember you need to have your phone mounted safely in the car to use it effectively as a sat nav whilst driving ... just be careful you don't end up spending more on a mounting kit than you would on buying a basic sat nav system from scratch. ;)

Scrubbs
27-02-2011, 17:48
I've used a tom tom for years, just annoyed at having to pay for 4 maps a year instead of 1 map every two years, I don't travel by road enough to warrant that.
:erm: err I don't know what you call it;) but I "cough cough" upgrade the maps myself on'tinternet:D
I also use the ovi maps on my phone and find them better for walking around a town than driving even though it did a reasonable job of getting me to where I wanted to go.

j52c
27-02-2011, 18:59
I have a Tom Tom XL with Europe map.

I used to to go to my grandaughters wedding in Norwich yesterday and noticed since I updated the map that some of the spoken instuctions are cut short or are missing completeley. They do take a bit of getting used to though, especially shouts when the current speeds is displayed in red in the bottom left corner......

Hom3r
27-02-2011, 19:29
Mine has the western europe maps, it was used buy some work collegues and was very accurate, another one had to go cross country to get to the eurotunnel and he made it on time.

Gary L
27-02-2011, 19:33
:erm: err I don't know what you call it;) but I "cough cough" upgrade the maps myself on'tinternet:D

It's called Freeware :)

Peter_
27-02-2011, 19:34
I also use the ovi maps on my phone and find them better for walking around a town than driving even though it did a reasonable job of getting me to where I wanted to go.
I have had no issues whatsoever with OVI maps on 2 different phones and the screen mount for both phones were less than a fiver each from Ebay, plus I can use my handsfree kit if required.

Scrubbs
27-02-2011, 20:19
It's called Freeware :)

what I meant was my tom tom is no longer a true tom tom, I think I have "unlocked" it from the tom tom update site;)

ChrisLUFC22
27-02-2011, 22:18
Hi,

I haven't used one for a year or two so not sure about the latest, but Garmin SatNav's always worked a treat for me. Had a couple, didn't pay over £100 for them, I'm certain.

raging bull
28-02-2011, 07:17
Stay away from Navman!
Thought I would lash out on a map update early Dec last year (30pounds), in return I received a link to new maps and instructions how to load.
After downloading the maps @1.6Gb three times I came to the conclusion that either I was doing something wrong or downloads were corrupt?
E mailed Navman but didn't get any replies back till Feb this year, ended up having to insist that a disc with maps be sent as having trouble. (They don't supply data on disc)
All in a bad experience for me.