PDA

View Full Version : My setup, am i breaking the TOS

Adam_swaine
27-02-2011, 02:38
Ok instead of posting all the info. I'm going to post the thread from the virgin forums (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/My-setup-will-anything-go-wrong/td-p/364883)

I don't think I am breaking any terms, I do try to back this up by stating valid points. I'm just curious as to what anyone else thinks.

Zing
27-02-2011, 02:55
looks to me like the only way that would work is if you actually have 2 seperate internet connections in your house. The modem should be disconnected by VM ( well really I would have the act of registering the Superhub would have been enough)

Looks to me like VM have made a mistake. Me personally would enjoy the 2 connections while you have them

The point you made about why shouldn't you have 2 is simple you pay for only one connection

---------- Post added at 02:55 ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 ----------

BTW no one here is gonna give you the answer you want to hear you are not entitled to use both you just can at present lol

Adam_swaine
27-02-2011, 03:38
That sucks, but its all connected to the same line, just separated with splitters. Well when we ordered the superhub, we obviously already had 50meg installed so the delivery guy didn't need to install anything. Just dropped it off and went :) I'm waiting for a response from a mod in the other thread.

Hope I'm not getting myself in ****, if so i'll just use the superhub and throw the modem. I'll have to change the band back to 2.4 though as not everyone in the house can use get 5ghz. . . good bye top speeds :(

---------- Post added at 03:38 ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 ----------

Well I just tested it out. Connected to modem+router(setup2) on one laptop, connected to superhub(setup1) on another. Setup1 was idle, tested speeds on setup2 got 20mb. Started downloading on setup1 and once i hit 49mb download speed re-done tests on setup2, speeds were 1mb, 0.7 and 0.5. . . so as you can see im pretty sure they are all on the same line and using one effects the other. But to be on the safe side i'm going to go downstairs take apart setup2 and just through the modem away.

watzizname
27-02-2011, 03:50
I don't see any issue, it's not as if you're getting anything over the 'upto' 50Mb you're paying for?

You're using it as an extra access point for your network, not attempting to shortchange VM, by getting a second completely separate connection for free.

No doubt, there will be an outraged VM employee along shortly to explain why you should kill yourself for even thinking of doing what you've done ;)

Sirius
27-02-2011, 06:25
No doubt, there will be an outraged VM employee along shortly to explain why you should kill yourself for even thinking of doing what you've done ;)

Looks like someone has a big chip on there shoulder ;)

watzizname
27-02-2011, 07:00
Looks like someone has a big chip on there shoulder ;)

I'm fairly sure you meant their, and I'm also fairly sure I'm not that messy an eater :rolleyes:

Sirius
27-02-2011, 07:09
I'm fairly sure you meant their, and I'm also fairly sure I'm not that messy an eater :rolleyes:

Anyone would think you are a school teacher marking a paper. :rolleyes:

As for the original posters post i see no problem with him using an extra access point as you pointed out. As long as he is paying for upto 50 meg and upto 50 meg is what he receives then i see no problem at all.

Peter_
27-02-2011, 08:15
If the is an issue with running the original modem on the network then Virginmedia can easily remove the original modem from the inventory which would prevent it from working now that you have posted about it on the official Virginmedia community forum.

Nopanic
27-02-2011, 08:36
The disconnection has failed when the modem has been removed. It wont be active in the billing system any more.

Pointing it out was a mistake.

jb66
27-02-2011, 09:05
Your getting 2x50meg paying for one, enjoy it while it lasts but it's vm problem they haven't stopped your modem

Peter_
27-02-2011, 10:20
The disconnection has failed when the modem has been removed. It wont be active in the billing system any more.

Pointing it out was a mistake.
Exactly as I said above now they know its still live it will be removed.:D

Kymmy
27-02-2011, 10:27
The VM forum's were the last place I would have asked in that situation.. All you've done is told them that you have a working 2nd modem and now they even have your IP :rolleyes:

Adam_swaine
27-02-2011, 10:33
Oh well, i'm not going to abuse this, i didnt intend on stealing a 50meg connection lol i have already binned the modem. If i cant use it whats the point of having it.

Zing
27-02-2011, 10:44
well you need to take it out the bin ( which of course you aint done its still connected and your just teling us porkies lol) if vm coming looking for it they will charge you if you do not have it

BenMcr
27-02-2011, 12:01
well you need to take it out the bin ( which of course you aint done its still connected and your just teling us porkies lol) if vm coming looking for it they will charge you if you do not have itExcept they won't. They don't collect any Modems anymore.

If however, you don't return the Hubs you would get charged

Zing
27-02-2011, 12:30
Except they won't. They don't collect any Modems anymore.

If however, you don't return the Hubs you would get charged

with a bit of luck then if ever I get landed with a home hub a mistake like this may happen to me . But I wont tell anyone lol

Nopanic
27-02-2011, 13:44
Don't worry, failed disconnections will soon be a thing of the past.

Marcus125
27-02-2011, 13:59
I few years a go we cancel sky multiroom but it stayed live for around 2 years. Last thing we were going to do was tell sky lol.

The day it was meant to disconnect the sky box just kept going into standby. It did this all day for like 12 hours just kept going into standby every 20 seconds.

The next day it worked fine and stayed on for 2 years till we got a new white card. You should of kept it quiet.

Adam_swaine
27-02-2011, 17:35
Oh my thread on the VM discussion board has disappeared. . . you may as well just lock this one as there is nothing to reference too now and I'm not re posting lol

pip08456
27-02-2011, 17:40
Oh my thread on the VM discussion board has disappeared. . . you may as well just lock this one as there is nothing to reference too now and I'm not re posting lol

Hardly surprising, it was a bit stupid putting it on there.

Matth
28-02-2011, 22:43
If the router is the one that can be converted to DD-WRT, then run that as a 2.4G access point, and the superhub on 5G, if you want dual band Wifi networking.

zekeisaszekedoes
01-03-2011, 23:57
If the router is the one that can be converted to DD-WRT, then run that as a 2.4G access point, and the superhub on 5G, if you want dual band Wifi networking.

This is an excellent solution, and much cheaper than buying a router that does both bands simultaneously.