PDA

View Full Version : 10mb > 30mb upgrade cost!

Web-Junkie
27-02-2011, 00:05
Just out of curiosity, how much is it per month to go to 30mb + one off costs?

I only have 10mb BB (L) now and pay £20 p/m. Just tried the upgrade page to see but no prices were given (said someone would call back in 48hours) and it stated the superhub was £0.00 one off charge!!

What's the REAL cost from those who know!

pabs
27-02-2011, 00:19
Just out of curiosity, how much is it per month to go to 30mb + one off costs?

I only have 10mb BB (L) now and pay £20 p/m. Just tried the upgrade page to see but no prices were given (said someone would call back in 48hours) and it stated the superhub was £0.00 one off charge!!

What's the REAL cost from those who know!

Extra £5 per month and a one off £30 charge me thinks.

Web-Junkie
27-02-2011, 00:51
Bear in mind I don't have a Virgin phoneline or TV now, I went SKY months ago but kept VM's 10Mb broadband, so will that impact the price or will it just be £25 p/m regardless + £30 activation fee and a new 12 month contract (or is it 18 month now?).

pabs
27-02-2011, 01:14
Bear in mind I don't have a Virgin phoneline or TV now, I went SKY months ago but kept VM's 10Mb broadband, so will that impact the price or will it just be £25 p/m regardless + £30 activation fee and a new 12 month contract (or is it 18 month now?).

Oh ok, without the phoneline you will probably still have the one off £30 charge and pay £28.50 per month, should be a 12 month contract. Maybe someone else could shed light on this.

pip08456
27-02-2011, 01:36
£23.50 without a phone line. 12mth contract.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-30mb.html

You'd still have to pay £30 activation as an existing customer.

Web-Junkie
27-02-2011, 02:17
Read further down it says £23.50 for the first 3 months THEN £28.50pm, and that page implies (to me anyway) going from 20mb to 30mb. It gets more confusing when the box that says "Different ways to get 30mb Broadband" and you look at "On its own" which has a * at the side of the £28.50 and you see the * and read "Plus a Virgin Phoneline for £12.99 a month"

I'm confused.com :confused:

ceedee
27-02-2011, 05:59
I'm confused.com :confused:
You think you're confused?

I currently pay £32.24 for XL + phone: upgrading to the faster speed (and higher stm limits) would save me 75p/month...

Anyone know if I'll be able to dump the surplus VM phone (mid-contract) at the same time and save £3.74/mth? ;)

The big #fail for VM was the decision to go with a single modem/router. Especially as the firmware is less than fully functional...
/my2p

smallethic
27-02-2011, 08:39
Well, I ordered such an upgrade two weeks ago. I was told over the phone (twice) that my monthly cost of £20.25 would be unchanged and I would only have to pay £30. Virgin's letter 11 days later said a 12 month contract, £30 AND £28.50 a month. I refused to accept the the Superhub when it came the following day and aborted the contract.

Peter_
27-02-2011, 09:09
Well, I ordered such an upgrade two weeks ago. I was told over the phone (twice) that my monthly cost of £20.25 would be unchanged and I would only have to pay £30. Virgin's letter 11 days later said a 12 month contract, £30 AND £28.50 a month. I refused to accept the the Superhub when it came the following day and aborted the contract.
It does come with a 12 month contract, as for the increase in the monthly charge did you ring up and complain.

smallethic
27-02-2011, 10:16
I did indeed ring up and complain, to both customer service and retentions. They were both polite, agreed that their file recorded that I had been given assurances about no change to the price, but were inflexible - despite me being a customer since 2002. I understand that the terms are as they say but am irritated that one cannot rely upon the word of their representative when ordering , and that customer loyalty counts for nothing with Virgin.

banjo
27-02-2011, 10:16
Why should an existing customer of long standing have to pay a £30 activation fee to change to a faster internet speed ?

Adi
27-02-2011, 10:55
Had mine delivered on Friday. £28.50 + £30 activation and new 12 month contract,

Nopanic
27-02-2011, 11:19
Why should an existing customer of long standing have to pay a £30 activation fee to change to a faster internet speed ?

:erm: why should you get it for free ?

It covers some of the cost of the equipment and admin.

Draag
27-02-2011, 11:25
DONT DO IT

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-mega-blooper-Hub/td-p/339615

WAIT UNTIL IT WORKS

Peter_
27-02-2011, 11:28
DONT DO IT

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-mega-blooper-Hub/td-p/339615

WAIT UNTIL IT WORKS
Mine is working fine and has done for the last 16 days since install.:)

jb66
27-02-2011, 11:59

Why should you pay to get a faster service?
Are you really asking that question?

Why hould I pay to get more channels?
Why should I pay to get a better phone package?
Why should I pay to get a new car?
Why should I pay to get a bigger house?

If you want more you pay more, isnt that what normally happens in life?

Bulky
27-02-2011, 12:18
Mine is working fine and has done for the last 16 days since install.:)

Mine too :)

banjo
27-02-2011, 12:56
:erm: why should you get it for free ?

It covers some of the cost of the equipment and admin.

I don't get it for free I pay for it and that covers the equipment and admin, I also pay for sub standard internet speeds but that is another matter.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Why should you pay to get a faster service?
Are you really asking that question?

Why hould I pay to get more channels?
Why should I pay to get a better phone package?
Why should I pay to get a new car?
Why should I pay to get a bigger house?

If you want more you pay more, isnt that what normally happens in life?

What on earth are you talking about ?
I don't want more channels
I don't want a different phone package
What has a car got to do with it ?
Or a house for that matter
Completely off topic.

Peter_
27-02-2011, 13:00
I don't get it for free I pay for it and that covers the equipment and admin, I also pay for sub standard internet speeds but that is another matter.

It is quite simple you want 30Mb and they want £30 for activation and then they will send out a Superhub for you to get said 30Mb so you either pay £30 or stay on 20Mb, it is a no brainer.

banjo
27-02-2011, 13:22
It is quite simple you want 30Mb and they want £30 for activation and then they will send out a Superhub for you to get said 30Mb so you either pay £30 or stay on 20Mb, it is a no brainer.

Where did I put that I want 30mb, I would not "upgrade" to 30mb because I suspect my internet speeds would vary wildly as they do now.

I can't understand how you can defend Virgin wanting £30 for me to pay more money, if they want to loose customers then carry on being uncompetitive.

Peter_
27-02-2011, 13:27
Where did I put that I want 30mb, I would not "upgrade" to 30mb because I suspect my internet speeds would vary wildly as they do now.

I can't understand how you can defend Virgin wanting £30 for me to pay more money, if they want to loose customers then carry on being uncompetitive.
I wanted the 30Mb and and I had to pay the £30 and I have been a customer for around 16 years, but I paid it and I am very happy with my 30Mb, not defending just stating the facts.

jb66
27-02-2011, 13:31
Your monthly sub pays for 20 meg and a docsis 1 modem not 30 and a docsis3 modem. Virgin are competitive, see how much 30meg is from sky Haha

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

If you Don't want to pay to upgrade then what do your posts mean?

Web-Junkie
27-02-2011, 14:48
Oops, seemed to have sparked a bit of difference of opinion :D

I don't mind paying the extra £30 connection/admin/whatever charge as I'm upgrading to a new service, does that mean my connection is being moved to a different part of the network, either physically or just re-routed in the UBR?

So the ppm is £23.50 for the 1st 3 months and £28.50 thereafter and I DO NOT need a VM telephone line. If so I might ring em up and enquire.

banjo
27-02-2011, 14:51
Your monthly sub pays for 20 meg and a docsis 1 modem not 30 and a docsis3 modem. Virgin are competitive, see how much 30meg is from sky Haha

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

If you Don't want to pay to upgrade then what do your posts mean?

My posts meen that I would like to upgrade but I am not prepared to pay £30 to do it, if Virgin want to retain customers they will have to reduce or remove this charge.

Hugh
27-02-2011, 14:53
All the people who have paid to upgrade appear to disagree with your viewpoint on this matter.....

banjo
27-02-2011, 14:59
All the people who have paid to upgrade appear to disagree with your viewpoint on this matter.....

That is a good thing it wouldn't do for us all to think the same you can disagree with me all you want but I and others are entitled to their opinion ! ;)

Hugh
27-02-2011, 15:03
I agree with you on that.

Web-Junkie
27-02-2011, 15:20
Why is the £30 charge such a big issue? Start another topic if you want to discuss that, all I want is info on the upgrade costs for ME and my particular circumstances.

pip08456
27-02-2011, 16:31
Why is the £30 charge such a big issue? Start another topic if you want to discuss that, all I want is info on the upgrade costs for ME and my particular circumstances.

The £23.50 for the first 3mths is for new customers only, I got it wrong earlier:sorry:.

So for you it will be £30 activation and £28.50 pm.

Web-Junkie
27-02-2011, 16:33
And that's for a customer who does not have a VM phoneline or VM TV like me? May as well just ring them up and get it qualified :)

*EDIT* It's coming next Wednesday :D Just rang em up and as pip08456 stated it's £28.50pm and £30 one off charge!

pip08456
27-02-2011, 17:07
Glad I got it right..............................eventually!http s://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/50.png

Web-Junkie
27-02-2011, 18:24
Yes, Thank You Mark Benton: "Brand new customers only".

Ignitionnet
28-02-2011, 09:20
My posts meen that I would like to upgrade but I am not prepared to pay £30 to do it, if Virgin want to retain customers they will have to reduce or remove this charge.

Cool. Have you given them notice that you want to disconnect if they won't upgrade your 20Mb to 30Mb and reduce your ongoing monthly charge for a one-off fee?

By that logic if Virgin want to retain customers they should give VIP-50 away for free.

Either way given you think people will be leaving VM for another operator if they don't get the upgrade for free I trust you'll be leading the way? :)

banjo
28-02-2011, 11:04
I have been waiting for someone to tell me to leave and you win the prize, predictable or what, you do make me laugh :)

Web-Junkie
28-02-2011, 17:57
Lock the thread before it explodes into a snipers nest :eek: I've already got my answer and ordered my upgrade.

pip08456
28-02-2011, 18:20
Lock the thread before it explodes into a snipers nest :eek: I've already got my answer and ordered my upgrade.

Naah! Don't be a killjoy, you have been answered so let them have a bit of fun.

Hurts no-one. It would be different if it were happening and you hadn't got your answer.

Web-Junkie
28-02-2011, 23:05
Oi, it's my topic, I'll take it and go home then :D

Ignitionnet
28-02-2011, 23:07
I have been waiting for someone to tell me to leave and you win the prize, predictable or what, you do make me laugh :)

I would have genuinely been surprised if you'd actually backed up your words with anything other than a pithy reposte and you didn't disappoint :)

I think about 2 people, including me, have complained about the service, said they were going to leave, then actually done so and not instantly gone back after being offered discounts. Maybe a few more actually cancelled but took the deals. It's quite a predictable pattern actually.

Don't take it personally, it's a common theme.

banjo
28-02-2011, 23:29
you are getting a little confused I have never said that I would leave, you have told me to but your delusions of grandeur precede you, I would never take anything you say personally as I would have to drop a 100 or so IQ points ;)

Ignitionnet
01-03-2011, 09:18
you are getting a little confused I have never said that I would leave, you have told me to but your delusions of grandeur precede you, I would never take anything you say personally as I would have to drop a 100 or so IQ points ;)

Haha.

As far as delusions of grandeur roll I'd suggest:

Is fairly grandiose on the scale. The answer is of course perfectly simple, you are paying for 20Mb and the appropriate equipment to receive it, not 30Mb and appropriate equipment. Thinking that you do is somewhat grandiose.

Gives a fairly clear implication - your opinion is that Virgin need to reduce or remove the charge to retain customers, but you're now trying to say that you never said they need to do so to retain you :confused:

There's conviction in operation I guess.

As far as IQ goes thinking that charging people a one-time £30 for 30M/3M at £18.50 as an upgrade from 20M/2M at £20 a month is uncompetitive, well, no real comment. VM's pricing is ridiculously low if anything, it's certainly not the pricing that's the issue on the product.

Anyway on that note I'll leave you to continue patting yourself on the back over your rapier-like wit when called out for giving amusing opinions and not backing them up with actions.

Again though, if it's so uncompetitive then surely sticking with them means you don't have that 100 IQ points to drop taking my comments personally? Intelligent people as a general rule don't stick with something they consider uncompetitive but take the smarter, more competitive option.

banjo
01-03-2011, 10:14
You keep coming back to your opinion that I should leave if I don't agree with you, I can't be bothered to reply to your verbose rant it would seem that I have got under your skin for some reason !

ceedee
01-03-2011, 14:27
Anyway on that note I'll leave you to continue patting yourself on the back over your rapier-like wit when called out for giving amusing opinions and not backing them up with actions.
You keep coming back to your opinion that I should leave if I don't agree with you, I can't be bothered to reply to your verbose rant it would seem that I have got under your skin for some reason !

Banjo: It's you that said that VM will be unable to retain existing customers with the £30 charge to upgrade - Ignitionnet is simply pointing out that, if that statement was true, then you should have left because they haven't. As far as I can see, he's not suggested that you should leave.

Of course, if it was simply hyperbole then you've been called out as an exaggerating whinger.

pip08456
01-03-2011, 14:33
I have yet to see Igni post a verbose rant. A verbose explanation-yes.

@Banjo if you had 1/2 an ounce of brain you would know how to get a superhub free and the upgrade free, but I ain't telling.

It's easy and posted on the VM site and within T's&C's.

Do your research.(BTW I'm a 50Mb user for almost a year but I can see how to do it!).

banjo
01-03-2011, 14:40
Banjo: It's you that said that VM will be unable to retain existing customers with the £30 charge to upgrade - Ignitionnet is simply pointing out that, if that statement was true, then you should have left because they haven't. As far as I can see, he's not suggested that you should leave.

Of course, if it was simply hyperbole then you've been called out as an exaggerating whinger.

I think you have been "called out" as a blow hard hanger on, your friend not able to speak for himself ?

Web-Junkie
02-03-2011, 19:44
My Super Hub arrived this afternoon, connected and registered it after a phonecall to VM but I'm still on 10mb? Does the 30mb speed only kick in on the next billing cycle?

FYI: It's a VMDG480, Hardware Version 2.00 and Software Version V5.5.2R20

jb66
02-03-2011, 20:17
Should be instant, reboot and call up

Peter_
02-03-2011, 20:48
My Super Hub arrived this afternoon, connected and registered it after a phonecall to VM but I'm still on 10mb? Does the 30mb speed only kick in on the next billing cycle?

As it is now activated call technical support who will sort it out for you.

Web-Junkie
02-03-2011, 21:03
Not here, rebooted and still on 10mb. Account still says Broadband L, at least the Hub was registered and active straightaway! I'll give a call then.

*EDIT* Rang up, told to wait 24 hours and if it's not gone to 30mb afer that, ring em back!

Chrysalis
02-03-2011, 21:30

check again tommorow morning, it has activation issues and normally gets the new config lagged up to 24hrs after.

JPAC
02-03-2011, 22:00
I did indeed ring up and complain, to both customer service and retentions. They were both polite, agreed that their file recorded that I had been given assurances about no change to the price, but were inflexible - despite me being a customer since 2002. I understand that the terms are as they say but am irritated that one cannot rely upon the word of their representative when ordering , and that customer loyalty counts for nothing with Virgin.

Absolutely! Quote "one cannot rely upon the word of their representative when ordering"

Don't risk calling them, they'll tell you one thing and bill you something completely different. :mad:

rgk
03-03-2011, 01:32
Regarding cost, am currently on 10mb, was told last week that it is a one off £30 charge and nothing else (asked him to be clear on this!) Is being sent March 9th, will be very annoyed if they try to charge me any more for it (have V+ box & phone line already)!

Web-Junkie
03-03-2011, 01:57
Best ring back and double check!

I only have BB so will pay £28.50pm after upgrading from 10mb BB. I said hello to my 'Box of Tricks' when it arrived but then said goodbye to the Ethernet cable as the tightwads don't put one in the box :td:

Web-Junkie
03-03-2011, 13:02
check again tommorow morning, it has activation issues and normally gets the new config lagged up to 24hrs after.

Checked this morning and still on 10mb, unlugged it and will check after work!

Sleeper919
03-03-2011, 21:50
Regarding cost, am currently on 10mb, was told last week that it is a one off £30 charge and nothing else (asked him to be clear on this!) Is being sent March 9th, will be very annoyed if they try to charge me any more for it (have V+ box & phone line already)!

I eagerly await your report. I also have the L 10Mb package and would love an upgrade with no increase in monthly cost. I see no reason to complain about an activation fee as this would be expected to upgrade a service such as this.

rgk, I have pretty much the same package as you and pay the following -

Line Rental £12.24
Talk Unlimited £8.00
Additional Loyalty Discount £-3.00
Triple Combo Loyalty Discount £-21.20
TV Size: X L £25.00
Broadband Size: L £25.25

Do you have any discounts and were you told if you would lose them or not?

Web-Junkie
03-03-2011, 21:55
Managed to get the speed upgraded, had to call them back and be transfered to their Broadband Team who sorted it out :tu:

Thanks to all!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/99.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Sleeper919
03-03-2011, 22:00
Speed looks good Web-Junkie, are you in an ex NTL area?

Web-Junkie
03-03-2011, 22:16
Speed looks good Web-Junkie, are you in an ex NTL area?

Yes, NG17 postcode!

Sleeper919
03-03-2011, 22:20
The ex NTL infrastructure is the best! I consistently get 9.85Mb/s download with my 10Mb connection. Feels good man, although as I mentioned earlier I would love to upgrade. Might wait for that Superhub firmware patch though.

pip08456
03-03-2011, 22:30
The ex NTL infrastructure is the best! I consistently get 9.85Mb/s download with my 10Mb connection. Feels good man, although as I mentioned earlier I would love to upgrade. Might wait for that Superhub firmware patch though.

Of the two it is the better but has issues in certain areas.

Peter_
03-03-2011, 22:32
It is dependent on area and who was the legacy company, who were the original franchise holder.

I am Ex Telewest and I get this consistently.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/98.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Sleeper919
03-03-2011, 22:38
Fair points. Masque that Ping looks good!

Peter_
03-03-2011, 22:44
Fair points. Masque that Ping looks good!
NTL used Langley and Bromley Headends originally and even they differed, Telewest used the Knowsley Headend which is 2 miles from my house even though my uBR is 6 miles away and the have never been any real issues in 16 years.

They are now moving everything to Langley and reutilising the other 2 Headends.

rgk
04-03-2011, 01:36
I eagerly await your report. I also have the L 10Mb package and would love an upgrade with no increase in monthly cost. I see no reason to complain about an activation fee as this would be expected to upgrade a service such as this.

rgk, I have pretty much the same package as you and pay the following -

Line Rental £12.24
Talk Unlimited £8.00
Additional Loyalty Discount £-3.00
Triple Combo Loyalty Discount £-21.20
TV Size: X L £25.00
Broadband Size: L £25.25

Do you have any discounts and were you told if you would lose them or not?
Have Broadband size M @£20.75 and a discount of £-8 (phone&BB). I have not been told anything other than that there will only be a £30 fee and no other charge! Do they send out a confirmation before the new Hub is delivered?

Chrysalis
04-03-2011, 06:15
My observation still has telewest coming out better. I look at a customer quality of service point of view rather than infrastructure state.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 07:17
My observation still has telewest coming out better. I look at a customer quality of service point of view rather than infrastructure state.
We tend to get more calls from the NTL side as well.

the-cable-guy
05-03-2011, 20:26
£23.50 without a phone line. 12mth contract.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-30mb.html

You'd still have to pay £30 activation as an existing customer.

if he gets a nice person on the phone he can get the £30 charge wavered, iv done it before but most people on the CS helpline wont do it

Peter_
05-03-2011, 20:37
if he gets a nice person on the phone he can get the £30 charge wavered, iv done it before but most people on the CS helpline wont do it
Because they can get in trouble for doing so.

the-cable-guy
05-03-2011, 20:39
oh right i must of been lucky then to of gotten a naughty person to do it for me lol

Ignitionnet
06-03-2011, 00:02
We tend to get more calls from the NTL side as well.

Something to do with the ntl side having over 2/3rds as many homes on network probably.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

It is dependent on area and who was the legacy company, who were the original franchise holder.

I am Ex Telewest and I get this consistently.

On the whole ex-ntl was superior due to previous upgrade methods. Telewest bodged, 16QAM upstreams even in marginal areas, dual DOCSIS, allowing ports to run very hotly, ntl split nodes and didn't even run dual DOCSIS downstream until the merger and were still mostly QPSK.

It's not all to the legacy company, ntl did that scary thing of upgrading the networks rather than running them into the ground and has no 550MHz networks remaining that I'm aware of.

Note which areas are 'Being Planned' for the upstream uplift. They are in that condition because they need HFC upgrades. If I remember rightly they are all ex-Telewest. ntl upgraded their nasty ex-Videotron areas properly, eventually, Telewest did the bare minimum on their Cable London and Eurobell areas to get a return path.

Telewest spent most of the decade pre-merger waiting for ntl to come and get them, their capital expenditure reflects this.

Chrysalis
06-03-2011, 08:40
Ignition why is nntl keeping QOSK better than what telewest did.

seems 2 different approaches.

ntl's to split the users so have less on each port but of course ports with less capacity.
Telwest to increase capacity to port, working on that statistical contention gets better when pipes are bigger it seems telewest did the better option and hence their side having less complaints.

Ntl's better in that future upgrading is easier but was probably worse for short term service.

Or is there something else I am missing?

Peter_
06-03-2011, 09:22
On the whole ex-ntl was superior due to previous upgrade methods. Telewest bodged, 16QAM upstreams even in marginal areas, dual DOCSIS, allowing ports to run very hotly, ntl split nodes and didn't even run dual DOCSIS downstream until the merger and were still mostly QPSK.

My area was built by CableNorthwest and it is very stable and we tend to get few calls from this area.

rgk
06-03-2011, 20:59
Have Broadband size M @£20.75 and a discount of £-8 (phone&BB). I have not been told anything other than that there will only be a £30 fee and no other charge! Do they send out a confirmation before the new Hub is delivered?

And the confirmation letter comes and guess what? £54.29 per month as opposed to my existing charge of £46.54! rang Customer retentions in Sheffield, who apologised and said they would follow it up with the call centre, but I had been given the wrong information - it is only free if you are already on 20mb, as stated on here. I have told them to cancel it and will stay as I am (10mb) which they have kindly agreed to!

Sleeper919
07-03-2011, 00:39
And the confirmation letter comes and guess what? £54.29 per month as opposed to my existing charge of £46.54! rang Customer retentions in Sheffield, who apologised and said they would follow it up with the call centre, but I had been given the wrong information - it is only free if you are already on 20mb, as stated on here. I have told them to cancel it and will stay as I am (10mb) which they have kindly agreed to!

Yes as I suspected. Did you try and see if retentions could offer you some kind of deal before you turned it down?

Martyn
07-03-2011, 19:41
don't do it soon there upgrade everyone from 10-30 :)

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

i've already paid 1 fee for 50mb, if i was to upgrade to 100mb and they asked for another "fee" i'd tell them where to go..

Peter_
07-03-2011, 19:53
don't do it soon there upgrade everyone from 10-30 :)

In your dreams, that will not happen because it would cost to much as every customer would need a Superhub.:erm:

Web-Junkie
07-03-2011, 21:14
This is why I've done it now and not waited 1 month, 2 months, 3 months etc for news on a 'free' upgrade from 10mb that may never happen!

qasdfdsaq
08-03-2011, 02:38
In your dreams, that will not happen because it would cost to much as every customer would need a Superhub.:erm:
Meh, VM make over 300 million pounds profit every quarter, that's enough to give every one of their 4 million broadband customers £75 of free equipment ;)

Peter_
08-03-2011, 07:15
Meh, VM make over 300 million pounds profit every quarter, that's enough to give every one of their 4 million broadband customers £75 of free equipment ;)
I was waiting for such a post, thank you.

Virginmedia never close a tier they just stay as Legacy products on the system and at present we still have all the old existing tiers with customers still on them.

We still have:

512kb mainly through STB.
1Mb mainly through STB.
2Mb mainly through STB but many with modems.
2Mb S a retention tier.
10Mb M the people who were upgraded from 2Mb for free.
10Mb L the only 10Mb tier for sale.
20Mb now a legacy tier and no longer advertised for sale but can be used by retentions.

All the above do not use Docsis 3 equipment and therefore it would be very expensive for a company still billions in debt to replace, especially as they need to make a profit not a loss.

Chrysalis
08-03-2011, 09:11

We dont want that, it means a load of customers been shifted onto overlay and will only detoriate service.

Peter_
08-03-2011, 10:13
We dont want that, it means a load of customers been shifted onto overlay and will only detoriate service.
The Superhubs will still work on the Docsis 1 platform.

Ignitionnet
08-03-2011, 10:17
My area was built by CableNorthwest and it is very stable and we tend to get few calls from this area.

That's just your area, a relatively small part of the combined network, doesn't change that most of the excrement was owned by Telewest and they didn't bother to upgrade it while ntl, for the most part, did.

zekeisaszekedoes
08-03-2011, 13:33
it would be very expensive for a company still billions in debt to replace, especially as they need to make a profit not a loss.

If that's the case, maybe they should have had a longer period of testing for the Super Hub before rollout. ;)

Sleeper919
08-03-2011, 19:05
Yeah Martyn, where did you hear that? As Masque said that would be far too expensive for VM.

pip08456
08-03-2011, 20:10
Could be costly for VM with those who have probs with the pooperhub!

JPAC
30-03-2011, 21:47
So after six pages, how much is the 10Mb > 30Mb upgrade cost?

£10 a month more plus £30 for the hub?

Why do VM say" If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30, there'll also be a price increase to your monthly broadband payment." but don't say what this increase is?

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

ceedee
30-03-2011, 22:13
Why do VM say" If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30, there'll also be a price increase to your monthly broadband payment." but don't say what this increase is?
To get you to phone up to get the accurate figure because they've got a huge number of customers currently being charged all sorts of different prices for their package?

Only a guess, you understand?

JPAC
31-03-2011, 14:10
OK, I had to ring up because I cannot access my eBill and VM instructed me to ask my dead father for the password (ongoing),

... and they told me £3.25 more a month (£39 p.a.) and £30 for a new modem and a new 12 month contract.

Web-Junkie
31-03-2011, 20:13
I'll repost what I was told when I enquired: a £30 one off admin fee then £28.50pm thereafter. I was on 10mb BB only paying £20.25pm, no VM phone or TV!

ceedee
31-03-2011, 20:24
I'll repost what I was told when I enquired: a £30 one off admin fee then £28.50pm thereafter. I was on 10mb BB only paying £20.25pm, no VM phone or TV!
And to think that I was paying £25.50/mth for just 10Mb right up until last autumn.

If only they'd pull out their proverbial finger with the firmware update for the 30Mb modem/router...

JPAC
01-04-2011, 00:44
And to think that I was paying £25.50/mth for just 10Mb right up until last autumn.

So are you paying less money for 30Mb now?
---
Web-Junkie - Did you not get a new modem for this £30? I'm paying less than £28.50pm for TV, phone and 10MB.

What real benefits does 30MB get you that 10 MB doesn't, apart from download speed?

pip08456
01-04-2011, 00:47
---

What real benefits does 30MB get you that 10 MB doesn't, apart from download speed?

None. If you are happy with things at 10Mb what's the point?

ceedee
01-04-2011, 01:03
I'm currently paying £32.24/mth for 20Mb and the basic phone service.

I'm intending to upgrade to 30Mb (and hopefully dump the phone) once VM have got the modem/router firmware sorted out. I think it'll save me about £1.50/mth, which is kinda mad...

Web-Junkie - Did you not get a new modem for this £30? I'm paying less than £28.50pm for TV, phone and 10MB.

What real benefits does 30MB get you that 10 MB doesn't, apart from download speed
Diving in before Web-Junkie (hope you don't mind!):
Almost everyone will need a new modem because the 30Mb service is not technically compatible with the 10Mb and 20Mb services. It's not just a faster speed but a different technical protocol.

As well as the faster download speed you'll also see... faster upload speeds!
The other major benefit is a larger data allowance, so you can download more before the traffic management (http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html) reduces your speeds.

The only downside that I've spotted is that instead of VM supplying just a simple modem (with an optional router), with 30Mb they've opted to modify a combined modem/router which has some software faults.
Most users probably won't notice these faults and once setup there shouldn't be a problem.
If I've understood it correctly it'll only affect those of us who want to control our own firewall/security settings and/or use our own existing routers.

pip08456
01-04-2011, 02:02
About right ceedee. Basic users don't seem to have a problem at all. Most won't have their own router and of those who have VM supplied ones (depending on when they upgraded or got 20Mb) only use them for basic networking.

It's not so much advanced users wanting to control things but more of being told or forced to use substandard equipment for their needs especially having forked out £100+ for their own router.

ceedee
01-04-2011, 02:22
It's not so much advanced users wanting to control things but more of being told or forced to use substandard equipment for their needs especially having forked out £100+ for their own router.

I'm not even much of a network geek and I've got two!

Admittedly one is a £40 backup and provides wifi to the bedroom and anyone passing by but the Draytek cost a small fortune five years ago.

A VM support droid choked when I explained why I didn't want their router... :rolleyes:

pabs
01-04-2011, 11:45
If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months so it's free activation now. :)

ceedee
01-04-2011, 16:08
If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months so it's free activation now. :)
Do you have a link to this offer?

pabs
01-04-2011, 16:45
Do you have a link to this offer?

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

AaronCooper
01-04-2011, 19:25

Repeats to self
"I do not need faster internet, i do not need faster internet" :D:D

Peter_
01-04-2011, 19:48
Actually that is wrong as the £30 charge is only for existing customers already on 20Mb not 10Mb, so the cost will be rather different especially if you are already on a Retentions package.

AaronCooper
01-04-2011, 19:52

If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months.

It states this on their website Masque?

pabs
01-04-2011, 19:52
Actually that is wrong as the £30 charge is only for existing customers already on 20Mb not 10Mb, so the cost will be rather different especially if you are already on a Retentions package.

Are you saying that VM have made a mistake on their website or my comment is wrong? ;)

Peter_
01-04-2011, 19:53

If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months.

It states this on their website Masque?
Well that makes for an even better offer then does it not, so well worthwhile to upgrade for that price.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Are you saying that VM have made a mistake on their website or my comment is wrong? ;)
See above good price.

AaronCooper
01-04-2011, 19:55
Masque, is there any downtime when switching? I'm really itching to upgrade lol

Peter_
01-04-2011, 19:58
Masque, is there any downtime when switching? I'm really itching to upgrade lol
You get the Superhub ring up and give the agent the MAC address after connecting it all up and you should be up and running within 5 minutes maybe 30 minutes if the modem takes its time retuning to the correct uBR.;)

Or if unlucky like me it took 6 hours as modem was unassigned.:D

Web-Junkie
01-04-2011, 20:04
@JPAC: Yes, I got new equipment sent in a big box which was the Superhub and as has been pointed out it's a combined cable modem/router.

As to why I need 30mb, it was to watch/download more stuff before STM kicked in. I have a brother who is glued to iPlayer all night so that was one reason. I use STEAM a lot and some of those games are well over the 10mb STM limit and I use iPlayer and Sky Player as well and the extra bandwidth allows for a better quality picture.

JPAC
02-04-2011, 01:31
None. If you are happy with things at 10Mb what's the point?

It wasn't a trick question. I've read the VM stuff but wanted to hear from users to see if there's any more. I don't do gaming or much iPlayer etc.

The VM CSA didn't mention the £5 off for 6 months.

The service hasn't been too bad recently so I'm wondering if I should leave it alone. - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

pip08456
02-04-2011, 23:18
It wasn't a trick question. I've read the VM stuff but wanted to hear from users to see if there's any more. I don't do gaming or much iPlayer etc.

The VM CSA didn't mention the £5 off for 6 months.

The service hasn't been too bad recently so I'm wondering if I should leave it alone. - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You've answered yourself there!