PDA

View Full Version : New modem - wifi off at night?

dabeeeenster
26-02-2011, 12:14
Hi,

Just received a new modem - a netgear on the 30Mbit service. Is there any way to turn the wifi off (but leave the modem on) overnight? Also, is there any way to see live bandwidth? (Used to have a tomato router which I really miss!)

If I wanted to set the new modem to just act as a modem and use the tomato router for everything else, is that possible? Not sure what option in the advanced settings to use...

Down the Pub
26-02-2011, 12:40
a superhub then?

sign into the hub > advanced settings. then from the pane on the left down towards the bottom under advanced select wireless settings and uncheck 'enable superhub broadcast radio' and should turn it off for you. but will always have to be turned on/off manually as no (that i know of) way for it to be automated - handy as it maybe.

when you sign in, on the main page > device connection status, will give you basic uptime & U/l and D/L totals

zekeisaszekedoes
27-02-2011, 18:42
Heh. DD-WRT allows you to have it turn on and off at specific times of day automatically. You can either do a global policy or whitelist MACs and change access on a per-client basis.

Try getting THAT level of flexibility on the Super Hub! Oh wait... you can't. :D

janipewter
27-02-2011, 20:02
Try getting THAT level of flexibility on the Super Hub! Oh wait... you can't. :D

Try getting it on the standard firmware on any consumer router. Oh wait.

adduxi
28-02-2011, 08:34
Just put your old router in the DMZ of the Superhub, and switch off the wireless on the Superhub.
I use Tomato as well on my Linksys, and this is how I have set mine up.
I get miles better wireless coverage anyway with the old Linksys, as the Superhub is far from Super ......

zekeisaszekedoes
28-02-2011, 22:09
Try getting it on the standard firmware on any consumer router. Oh wait.

Yeah, but the difference is that standard firmware on most consumer-level routers still have more features than the Super Hub. And what's there works. And they don't require rebooting every single day. Etc, etc.