PDA

View Full Version : whats in the omnibox?

craigj2k12
25-02-2011, 23:11
As above. The cable comes from the tap, into the brown box on the exterior wall. This goes into a metal box inside the white box on the interior wall. The cable goes from this to my superhub.

My question: What components are there between my Garden wall and my modem?

Digi Tel
26-02-2011, 00:08
whats in the omnibox?
An omnispider. The omnispider stands guard over the omnibox metal connector (a metal connector just like the one you have described inside your white box).

If you ever added another service, a dual connector could be fitted inside the omnibox, giving you an additional cable, which could enter your house at the location of your choice. However, you only ever have one omnispider on sentry duty.

Halcyon
26-02-2011, 00:13
Isnt there some kind of fuse or something somewhere as well to stop huge spikes going through and frying your equipment?

Digi Tel
26-02-2011, 00:23
Isnt there some kind of fuse or something somewhere as well to stop huge spikes going through and frying your equipment?
The engineer may fit an attenuator if signal levels are too high, that would normally be on view inside the house.

Skie
26-02-2011, 00:27
Our brown box is just full of rather large and aggressive spiders according to the last engineer to venture near it.

craigj2k12
26-02-2011, 12:15
curiosity took the better of me this morning, i opened the omnibox, despite what i have read about special screws, it just had a normal positive screw driver screw.

inside it was the coax and phone wire coming through my garden, the coax cable connected to another coax cable about 10cm long, which goes through the wall and into this:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8137/dscn0712v.jpg
this white coax cable then goes to the attenuators, then into the modem.

The phone cabling just goes straight into the phone socket

that box that the coax goes through.... errr.... what is it? it says 0.4db on it?

can i change this for another one with a different value to get rid of the attenuators, or can I get rid of this thing all together?

on in an hour!
26-02-2011, 14:06
curiosity took the better of me this morning, i opened the omnibox, despite what i have read about special screws, it just had a normal positive screw driver screw.

inside it was the coax and phone wire coming through my garden, the coax cable connected to another coax cable about 10cm long, which goes through the wall and into this:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8137/dscn0712v.jpg
this white coax cable then goes to the attenuators, then into the modem.

The phone cabling just goes straight into the phone socket

that box that the coax goes through.... errr.... what is it? it says 0.4db on it?

can i change this for another one with a different value to get rid of the attenuators, or can I get rid of this thing all together?

dont remove it..that is an isolator (as has been said previous) to stop any surges blowing your devices up! its an electrical safety requirement for EVERY piece of equipment VM install in your house.the only time 1 x isolator will suffice for 2 or more devices is when they are plugged into the same socket or gang of sockets ;)

craigj2k12
26-02-2011, 14:23
sweet

Ignitionnet
26-02-2011, 23:27

The charge that powers the line powered amplifiers is filtered at the taps/cabinets, it doesn't go down customer drops. Electrocuting customers sadly isn't cool :)

Nedkelly
27-02-2011, 00:14
Looking at the picture who put the push on connector and look at the braiding sticking out :erm:

sollp
27-02-2011, 00:56
As above. The cable comes from the tap, into the brown box on the exterior wall. This goes into a metal box inside the white box on the interior wall. The cable goes from this to my superhub.

My question: What components are there between my Garden wall and my modem?

Slugs, snails and spiders

craigj2k12
28-02-2011, 12:50
put the connector on. The guy who did the installation didn't put the wire in. He left me a coil to route myself, I cut the eire shorter and put the connector on. I'm no technician, my service works and I'm happy.

So does this thing protect from surges or what? There are people saying different things

Skie
28-02-2011, 19:03
Yes, it is supposed to protect your kit from surges. Though it isn't your kit. Google "modemsafe" for more info :p

Peter_
28-02-2011, 19:18
put the connector on. The guy who did the installation didn't put the wire in. He left me a coil to route myself, I cut the eire shorter and put the connector on. I'm no technician, my service works and I'm happy.

So does this thing protect from surges or what? There are people saying different things
You do not remove the isolator as that is a legal requirement to be fitted, looking at your push on connector it is amazing that you have a good connection and you are not causing noise to ingress onto the local network as the should be no bare braiding showing and push on fittings are nowhere near as good as crimped.

pip08456
28-02-2011, 19:27
Actually they are screw on fittings. Crimped are better and preferable.

Peter_
28-02-2011, 19:29
Actually they are screw on fittings. Crimped are better and preferable.
Still poor quality and they may as well be push on.;)

craigj2k12
28-02-2011, 21:35
yeah i know, but it was kind of a rush job when i cut the wire and found that the virgin installed connectors were crimped. I luckily found those spare from our satellite TV installation. they are screw on ones.

where can i buy the crimped ones, and ill probably need a tool to put them on as well (*counting the pennies in my wallet*) iv just looked on ebay and the ones i saw seemed to be for standard TV not for CATV installations

thanks guys

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

okay iv bought
this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/F-Type-Gold-Nickel-Coaxial-Compression-Connectors-Pk2-/130416078560?pt=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL&hash=item1e5d676ee0

this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180628360168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260478533406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i bought the pack of 10 connectors, then found the gold plated ones, so grabbed them as well (lol) and then got myself the crimp tool to put them on.

After i bought the expensive crimp tool, I realised that the gold plated connectors are compression connectors and probably dont need a crimp tool, doh!