PDA

View Full Version : vmng300 cable modem - 50mb question

KTroopA
25-02-2011, 11:20
Hi all,

Just a quickie, as i seen all the issues people having with the Superhub. If i can get hold of a vmng300 cable modem can I ask virgin to connect me up. Im currently on 20MB, but would like to go 50mb. They are for sale on ebay. Is that legal - been told that means they are stolen.. Anyhow if not, is it possible. My mate has the old vmng300 cable modem and is happy on the service. All im after is the modem.

Tia

Peter_
25-02-2011, 11:23
No is the short answer.

It is registered to another account and cannot be added to another.

KTroopA
25-02-2011, 11:26

Guess i wait for the Superhub firmware to be released :D

Nopanic
25-02-2011, 11:54
VM have recently brought in a new system for controlling inventory. It is very, very strict and very, very tightly controlled.

A modem bought on eBay could lead you into a legal situation.

KTroopA
25-02-2011, 12:02
VM have recently brought in a new system for controlling inventory. It is very, very strict and very, very tightly controlled.

hehe. no worries im steering clear. i have a superhub i bought from vm :) not installed yet, but probably will soon as i fancy the speed boost to 50MB. just i would need to bypass the router as mine is better for my needs :)

Peter_
25-02-2011, 12:08
hehe. no worries im steering clear. i have a superhub i bought from vm :) not installed yet, but probably will soon as i fancy the speed boost to 50MB. just i would need to bypass the router as mine is better for my needs :)
Just disable DHCP in your router and use it as an Access Point.

KTroopA
25-02-2011, 12:22
Just disable DHCP in your router and use it as an Access Point.

do you mean connect LAN from the superhub to LAN on my router. any clearer instructions would be great :)

Peter_
25-02-2011, 12:24
do you mean connect LAN from the superhub to LAN on my router. any clearer instructions would be great :)
Wan on your router.

Ignitionnet
25-02-2011, 12:33

Behave dude VM aren't going to take anyone to court for buying a dodgy modem, it just won't work.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Wan on your router.

LAN on his router, connecting to WAN will mean it still routes and he'll get the joys of double-NAT.

Nopanic
25-02-2011, 13:11
Behave dude VM aren't going to take anyone to court for buying a dodgy modem, it just won't work.

LAN on his router, connecting to WAN will mean it still routes and he'll get the joys of double-NAT.

I didn't say they would, I said a legal situation.. dude

Chrysalis
25-02-2011, 14:11
what else is a legal situation? if anything the seller would be the guy in trouble not the buyer.

Nopanic
25-02-2011, 14:16
what else is a legal situation? if anything the seller would be the guy in trouble not the buyer.

and that would be a legal situation and the end of my comments on it.

Chrysalis
25-02-2011, 14:44
its not a legal situation unless legal action is taken tho.

if I do something illegal but noone does anything about it then its not a legal situation. so dont mislead people ;)

WillPS
25-02-2011, 14:52
So what if I wanted to reconnect with the 50mbps modem, which they haven't collected from a previous account I had?

Kymmy
25-02-2011, 14:58

If classified as stolen a seller and/or buyer could be prosecuted (handling stolen goods and the prosecution would be by the CPS and not VM) there though has to be a assurance that the person knew that the item was stolen and reported as such. In the case of the seller if they are ex VM contract the VM T&C's would be enough proof yet for a buyer they may not know the T&C's exist.

Chrysalis
25-02-2011, 15:04
could be is not a legal situation.

the CPS would not do anything either without VM or someone else reporting it.

People also dont get done for not knowingly handing stolen goods. Unless a legal mistake is made of course.

Kymmy
25-02-2011, 15:09
could be is not a legal situation.

the CPS would not do anything either without VM or someone else reporting it.

People also dont get done for not knowingly handing stolen goods. Unless a legal mistake is made of course.

Which is exactly what I said

If classified as stolen a seller and/or buyer could be prosecuted (handling stolen goods and the prosecution would be by the CPS and not VM) there though has to be a assurance that the person knew that the item was stolen and reported as such. In the case of the seller if they are ex VM contract the VM T&C's would be enough proof yet for a buyer they may not know the T&C's exist.

Peter_
25-02-2011, 15:14

You can tell I was in a hurry as I meant Wan on the Superhub.:D

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

So what if I wanted to reconnect with the 50mbps modem, which they haven't collected from a previous account I had?
If it has been removed from the inventory they can do nothing and it becomes a paperweight.

Chrysalis
25-02-2011, 15:21
Which is exactly what I said

missed that bit :)

however VM arent going to report it, not worth the hassle for them.

qasdfdsaq
26-02-2011, 03:48

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

If it has been removed from the inventory they can do nothing and it becomes a paperweight.
In a hurry again? The Superhub doesn't have a WAN port. You said so yourself several times.

Peter_
26-02-2011, 07:10
In a hurry again? The Superhub doesn't have a WAN port. You said so yourself several times.
Yes and I freely admitted that it was an error and it should be Lan as obviously the Superhub has no Wan port especially the one sitting in front of me.

You tend to always be in a hurry to pick fault due to you being perfect not.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/13.gif

KTroopA
28-02-2011, 09:58
hi

just a follow on question, as im still on the Ambit 256 modem atm. My internet has been down since sunday 11am. engineer coming out today to have a look. Is the Ambit 256 suitable/future proof for 30mb/50mb, or do we all need to get the superhub?

pip08456
28-02-2011, 10:23
You would need the superhub.

KTroopA
28-02-2011, 12:28
thx. guess we all will need to upgrade hw as the speeds increase :)

KTroopA
28-02-2011, 15:11
ok so, the vm techie is there and is installing the sh right now. he said im on the 30mb service now and its ' looking for the new modem/router'. has told me i can connect the sh to my router and use that and should all work. hence bypassing the router(sh). what is double NATing, and will it affect my xbox live experience online?

pip08456
28-02-2011, 15:18
Only one way to find out.

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 01:41
Yes and I freely admitted that it was an error and it should be Lan as obviously the Superhub has no Wan port especially the one sitting in front of me.

You tend to always be in a hurry to pick fault due to you being perfect not.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/13.gif
Stop being such a snobbish whiny hypocrite. You never admitted the error and are evading it again now, resorting to insults and sarcasm as usual.

As for being in a hurry? I didn't even make my post until the next day. Hurry my arse.

KTroopA
01-03-2011, 17:19
well superhub installed and running great, im pleased to say. just one thing the vm engie took away the ambit 256 but left its power plug - which is connected into my superhub. running fine, is it ok to leave like this?

Peter_
01-03-2011, 17:23
Stop being such a snobbish whiny hypocrite. You never admitted the error and are evading it again now, resorting to insults and sarcasm as usual.

As for being in a hurry? I didn't even make my post until the next day. Hurry my arse.
I think that you need glasses and not those rose tinted ones, as you are the snobbish whiny hypocrite, but with the glasses you see yourself as something else, but in reality you cannot even make the grade as a full wit.

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 17:35
Funny that, because so far you've done everything you've told me not to do. And you're still ignoring the facts, yet again, and sputing exactly the same ignorant babble, yet again.

Go on, continue accusing me of what you're doing yourself. And tell me to use a mirror, since you're clearly incapable of doing so yourself. Next you'll need me to go to the toilet for you.

You made an error, you made another error, you insult me for pointing it out and then pretend it never happend while lying about "admitting it openly". Instead of addressing and admitting it you lie further in private, do exactly what you told me not to last week (and what cannot be discussed here), ignore the issue again, and then resort to insults again.

I'm starting to expect nothing less than ignorance, insults, and unintelligent dribble from you every time someone points out something that's not to your liking. But hey, apparently thats what I do so I guess we're even.

Peter_
01-03-2011, 18:20
You made an error, you made another error.
I made one error which Ignitionnet pointed out and I laughed about it then you decided to put an ignorant oar in and point it out again because once again you had failed to read a prior post as the red mist descended in front of your rose tinted glasses and now 1 mistake equates to two, I seriously think you need help.

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 18:21
No, two mistakes equals two, maybe you should go back and read your own post...

Funny how you justify it by laughing about it but when I point out your error in a humorous way you choose to insult me instead.

Peter_
01-03-2011, 18:26
No, two mistakes equals two, maybe you should go back and read your own post...

Funny how you justify it by laughing about it but when I point out your error in a humorous way you choose to insult me instead.
One mistake not two and unless you are a mind reader you will never know why I was in a hurry even though you do not accept my reason, and you tend not to be humorous as you try to show people up at every given opportunity so that must be an almighty chip on your shoulder.

I tell you what why don't we just ignore what the other person posts regardless of what they say in the post as that will be the best course of action, no need for using the Ignore facility.

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 19:36
Wan on your router.
Error one

Error two.

Unless you're a mind reader I don't see how you think you know what I'm trying to say better than me.

Peter_
01-03-2011, 19:55
Error one

Error two.

Unless you're a mind reader I don't see how you think you know what I'm trying to say better than me.
What a prat you are becoming.

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 20:25
Like I said, I guess that makes us two of the same.

Peter_
01-03-2011, 20:27
Like I said, I guess that makes us two of the same.
Lets agree to ignore each then, no need to physically go into our settings just straight forward ignore each other before the team have words with us.

piggy
01-03-2011, 20:31
Get a room!!

Peter_
01-03-2011, 20:32
Get a room!!
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/12/10.gif

KTroopA
01-03-2011, 20:34
well superhub installed and running great, im pleased to say. just one thing the vm engie took away the ambit 256 but left its power plug - which is connected into my superhub. running fine, is it ok to leave like this?

phew, glad thats out of the way :p

can anyone answer my question :)

qasdfdsaq
01-03-2011, 21:11
It'll technically work fine but VM are unlikely to approve of it.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Lets agree to ignore each then, no need to physically go into our settings just straight forward ignore each other before the team have words with us.
I don't feel the need to ignore anybody, with or without whatever ignore options there are in settings (I didn't even look). You're welcome to ignore me if you wish but if I see incorrect information disseminated that's to the detriment of our users I'll still correct it.

Peter_
01-03-2011, 22:28
It'll technically work fine but VM are unlikely to approve of it.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

I don't feel the need to ignore anybody, with or without whatever ignore options there are in settings (I didn't even look). You're welcome to ignore me if you wish but if I see incorrect information disseminated that's to the detriment of our users I'll still correct it.
I will do likewise with you as well.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/06/1.gif

Nopanic
01-03-2011, 22:53
Get a room!!

phew, glad thats out of the way :p

can anyone answer my question :)

All new devices from VM should run off the same PSU, all modems and routers.

If you have any doubt, or any concerns, get it replaced.

craigj2k12
02-03-2011, 11:18
he stole my action man!

zekeisaszekedoes
02-03-2011, 12:08
Hmmm. Here I was hoping for some more information on getting VMDG300s registered in place of the Stupor Hub and instead it's just two guys having some kind is "mine is bigger" contest. Take it from a guy who has wasted hours arguing with random forumites in other places... there are better uses for your time.

vanman
02-03-2011, 12:40

well i think that the old 256 ambit runs a 10v psu and the super hub has a 12v psu

pip08456
02-03-2011, 13:33
well i think that the old 256 ambit runs a 10v psu and the super hub has a 12v psu

I think you are quite correct. Hope VM are well insured!

Mick Fisher
02-03-2011, 13:49

Hmm.....There was a note in my superhub self install kit stating to ONLY use the psu supplied.

I had been using an ordinary Hub previously that had been installed by a Tech. IIRC I think he just used the PSU that had been supplied with the original Ambit 256.

Anyway I checked the specs on the PSU's before installing the Superhub and they were indeed different with IIRC the Superhub's PSU being a little (0.5 amp ?) beefier.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Ooops beaten to it. :) Should have read the whole thread before replying. :doh:

qasdfdsaq
02-03-2011, 13:56
Mine is smaller.:p:

pabscars
02-03-2011, 15:47
Mines Huge :p:

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

edit: sorry wrong thread ;)

vanman
02-03-2011, 16:03
maybe this be the super hub prob that a lot of peep are having
just a thought

pip08456
02-03-2011, 16:07
Doubt it. The blooperhub has problems of its' own.

zekeisaszekedoes
02-03-2011, 17:12
Doubt it. The blooperhub has problems of its' own.

That reminds me, someone should start a thread with all the punny names we've come up with for the Super Hub. Ones that rhyme with Super, and beyond I suppose...

pip08456
02-03-2011, 18:10
No don't do that, you'll get into trouble.

qasdfdsaq
02-03-2011, 18:46
You say that like it's a bad thing

Nopanic
02-03-2011, 20:14

Hmm.....There was a note in my superhub self install kit stating to ONLY use the psu supplied.

I had been using an ordinary Hub previously that had been installed by a Tech. IIRC I think he just used the PSU that had been supplied with the original Ambit 256.

Anyway I checked the specs on the PSU's before installing the Superhub and they were indeed different with IIRC the Superhub's PSU being a little (0.5 amp ?) beefier.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Ooops beaten to it. :) Should have read the whole thread before replying. :doh:

I've not listed any devices or adviced anyone to plug anything into anything ..

I've simply stated a fact. VM want all new devices to run off the same PSU ..

I personally swap between routers and modems all day long and they all work ..

but for those without the ability to read a full post .. if in doubt, get a tech out.

Mick Fisher
02-03-2011, 23:27

but for those without the ability to read a full post .. if in doubt, get a tech out.

Quite :rolleyes:
If you had really bothered to read my post I am sure you would have ascertained my superhub came in a self install kit ergo I installed it myself.

The reason I had a tech out previously was because I had a fault with my broadband. As a part of the fix he insisted on changing my ambit modem for a Hub.

Hub, get it? Not to be confused with a superhub.

My edited remark about not having read all the posts was in response to realising that 2 people had already pointed out the differences between modem psu's and superhub psu's

pip08456
03-03-2011, 00:47

Stiill doesn't negate the fact that some techs are using the 10v modem PSU when installing a superhub.

It has been noted on the VM forum on at least 2 occasions.

Nopanic
03-03-2011, 08:37
Stiill doesn't negate the fact that some techs are using the 10v modem PSU when installing a superhub.

It has been noted on the VM forum on at least 2 occasions.

and?

pip08456
03-03-2011, 10:19
and?

Using a 10volt PSU for 12 volt equipment is a potential fire risk.

KTroopA
03-03-2011, 10:30
heh. well for the record my superhub has been performing flawlessy. cudnt be happier :)

i swapped over the psu to use the correct netgear one supplied. all good :)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1178945885.png

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1298961597&v=12253328

Chrysalis
03-03-2011, 12:01
by psu you mean power plug?

KTroopA
03-03-2011, 12:09
by psu you mean power plug?

yep

Chrysalis
03-03-2011, 12:46
is something wrong with the one that comes with it then?

KTroopA
03-03-2011, 13:01
is something wrong with the one that comes with it then?

nope its fine. My original question was to do with the fact when the vm engie installed my superhub he left the old power supply from my ambit 256 plugged in. The superhub worked ok, but i did notice the plug becoming warm, and decided to ask here. the supplied netgear is what im using now and is much cooler to touch. so id stick with netgear :)

Peter_
03-03-2011, 15:18
I have the Superhub installed with the supplied powerpack rated at 12v the same as the Superhub and not the Ambit 256 powerpack which is rated at 10v, as far as I am concerned you should only use the supplied powerpack that came with either device not the one already plugged in as that is laziness and wrong.

pip08456
03-03-2011, 15:24
I have the Superhub installed with the supplied powerpack rated at 12v the same as the Superhub and not the Ambit 256 powerpack which is rated at 10v, as far as I am concerned you should only use the supplied powerpack that came with either device not the one already plugged in as that is laziness and wrong.

And as I said earlier a potential fire risk.

KTroopA
03-03-2011, 15:26

yep agreed. the vm engie did leave the old ambit 256 one plugged in tho. he was in a rush and prob forgot i guess

Nopanic
03-03-2011, 19:04
Using a 10volt PSU for 12 volt equipment is a potential fire risk.

great, well if I stop posting its because my lab burnt down ..

pip08456
03-03-2011, 21:47
great, well if I stop posting its because my lab burnt down ..

Obviously you know nothing of EMF.

I'm glad you have a disclaimer at the bottom of you post as VM could never state that using a 10V PSU for 12V equipment was OK.

No-one is saying your lab is going to burn down but it has the potential to if the correct equipment is not used.

Nopanic
03-03-2011, 22:47
Obviously you know nothing of EMF.

I'm glad you have a disclaimer at the bottom of you post as VM could never state that using a 10V PSU for 12V equipment was OK.

No-one is saying your lab is going to burn down but it has the potential to if the correct equipment is not used.

I'm glad you're glad .. but I haven't advised anyone to do anything ..

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 19:58
Gentlemen, gentlemen. Getting back to the topic at hand.

To go against what has been posted in this and other threads, I spoke to a very helpful and knowledgable chap in India earlier today about getting a VMNG300 modem on the account in place of a Super Hub or good old Ambit 250/256. Of course he mentioned the standard options, i.e. replacing like for like on either but I wasn't going to settle for that!

So I posed a hypothetical, whereby a "friend" gives you their old VMNG300 and you register that MAC. He said that it was possible and would be willing to try, but would need the address of the old account so it could be removed from there and assigned to mine. So possibly hard to have a used VMNG300 registered if bought blind from an eBayer who deals in used VM kit and doesn't know the address of the original owner. I wonder if there's another way?

Top marks to the guy for being honest and willing to try it though (I took his name in case I want to speak again as I was impressed with the level of service), but why are VM being so inflexible about sending out VMNG300s anyway? Perhaps I should request a technician callout see if he has one or at least another way to make a previously owned one lock to a new account without knowing details of the one it was on before, or request a replacement for my "faulty" VMNG300 and have a new one sent out. I really, really don't want to be forced into using the Super Hub, because after all the troubles I've had with it I have a nagging feeling even the May update isn't going to fix things.

All I want is a VMNG300 registered to my account. Why is this so bloody difficult?

Peter_
04-03-2011, 20:17
So I posed a hypothetical, whereby a "friend" gives you their old VMNG300 and you register that MAC. He said that it was possible and would be willing to try, but would need the address of the old account so it could be removed from there and assigned to mine. So possibly hard to have a used VMNG300 registered if bought blind from an eBayer who deals in used VM kit and doesn't know the address of the original owner. I wonder if there's another way?
He was talking rubbish as that is not possible as the system would never allow it as it would not be in the inventory, and the is no way of adding it to the inventory.

Top marks to the guy for being honest and willing to try it though (I took his name in case I want to speak again as I was impressed with the level of service), but why are VM being so inflexible about sending out VMNG300s anyway?
The will be no stock of the VMNG300 as even technicians had to return any they had and are only given Superhubs to install.

Perhaps I should request a technician callout see if he has one or at least another way to make a previously owned one lock to a new account without knowing details of the one it was on before, or request a replacement for my "faulty" VMNG300 and have a new one sent out.

A second modem will never lock on quite simply because we add the MAC address of your modem to the account and we then pair and provision it on the account.

jb66
04-03-2011, 20:19
I had one stashed away but gave it away last week, I believe I was the last tech to have one in my area

Peter_
04-03-2011, 20:22
I had one stashed away but gave it away last week, I believe I was the last tech to have one in my area
I was waiting for you or another tech to reply.:)

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 20:30
He was talking rubbish as that is not possible as the system would never allow it as it would not be in the inventory, and the is no way of adding it to the inventory.

Seemed pretty logical, the way he was describing it. I had a feeling it could be possible if, for example, you moved house and wanted to use your existing kit elsewhere so would be using the same modem MAC in different premises. I can tell BS a mile off and nothing he said gave me that impression.

The will be no stock of the VMNG300 as even technicians had to return any they had and are only given Superhubs to install.

I'm not worried about that as they're easily and cheaply available. The point is having one and being able to register it on a different account to the one it was assigned to.

A second modem will never lock on quite simply because we add the MAC address of your modem to the account and we then pair and provision it on the account.

I might be getting wires crossed here, but having two modems on one account is not the issue. I'm talking about getting rid of the Ambit 250 and Super Hub I already have and using just a VMNG300.

I refuse to believe it's impossible to take a used one and reassign it or be given one not registered to any account just yet, which is why I'd like to call an engineer out and see how it stands, come to some arrangement. Or perhaps call retentions up and get a little more assertive. Because after all, if I'm looking to upgrade to 50Mbps which means more money for VM I don't see why I shouldn't be able to stay well away from the Super Hub, especially when I'm talking about using kit that until very recently VM deemed fine for their higher speed packages before foisting the Super Hub on everyone.

jb66
04-03-2011, 20:38
If I was your tech I'd tell you that we only do superhubs then I'd be out the door

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 20:50
Well then I'm glad you're not a tech. :D :p:

Thanks to conflicting information and the fact an engineer visit is free, it's got to be worth a try. I want that speed upgrade but I don't want the Hub or Super Hub. Plus, if I'm successful I can detail the steps I took to achieve the objective and hopefully aid other people in my position.

Alternately the "higher ups" of VM who probably don't even read these forums even by proxy could get the sticks out of their posteriors and consider an "advanced" option on their accounts, whereby a customer provides their own modem/router solution and VM purely do the optic/coax line. Then they can supply the Super Hub to John Q Luddite and us moaning types who want maximum flexibility to really make the most of the service can quickly be silenced. Translation: everybody wins.

Of course that last paragraph is just a pipe dream. Since when do big companies listen to their consumers? :)

jb66
04-03-2011, 21:11
I don't know what part of "there is no vmg300s in circulation" that folk don't get. Only someone high up in virgin has the power to issue techs modems again

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 21:16
Well I'm not one of the folk that don't get it. As I've posted, these things are easy to come by second hand, it's probably just a matter of circumventing some or other rule or methodology to have them removed from previous accounts and assigned to new ones. I'm sure an inventive and unscrupulous employee could register any compatible modem to a VM account, it's just against T&Cs/whatever else to do so. Although VM might like to consider the idea because it could give them an edge against more expensive smaller rivals like AAISP who offered "tailored" packages supporting almost any hardware and offer luxuries like true IPv6 support concurrent with limited old IPv4, the FAT32 to IPv6s NTFS. :D

jb66
04-03-2011, 21:21
I tried it and my PDA displayed hit failed :(

Peter_
04-03-2011, 21:25
Seemed pretty logical, the way he was describing it. I had a feeling it could be possible if, for example, you moved house and wanted to use your existing kit elsewhere so would be using the same modem MAC in different premises. I can tell BS a mile off and nothing he said gave me that impression.
That is different as your existing kit is reassigned to your new account, but again you cannot use a modem bought off Ebay or given by a friend as it will most likely still be listed on the original account or it will no longer be in the inventory, either way it will never be added to any account regardless of what the agent told you, when Nopanic reads this he will confirm this as well as he works in that area.

I'm not worried about that as they're easily and cheaply available. The point is having one and being able to register it on a different account to the one it was assigned to.

I refuse to believe it's impossible to take a used one and reassign it or be given one not registered to any account just yet, which is why I'd like to call an engineer out and see how it stands, come to some arrangement. Or perhaps call retentions up and get a little more assertive. Because after all, if I'm looking to upgrade to 50Mbps which means more money for VM I don't see why I shouldn't be able to stay well away from the Super Hub, especially when I'm talking about using kit that until very recently VM deemed fine for their higher speed packages before foisting the Super Hub on everyone.
If you rang up with a modem that was not yours and we rang the relevant department they would refuse to add it as it is not allowed and the agent would be reported and probably taken to one side by a manager to explain why they went against protocol.

I would take anything that agent told you with a sack of salt.

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Well I'm not one of the folk that don't get it. As I've posted, these things are easy to come by second hand, it's probably just a matter of circumventing some or other rule or methodology to have them removed from previous accounts and assigned to new ones. I'm sure an inventive and unscrupulous employee could register any compatible modem to a VM account, it's just against T&Cs/whatever else to do so. Although VM might like to consider the idea because it could give them an edge against more expensive smaller rivals like AAISP who offered "tailored" packages supporting almost any hardware and offer luxuries like true IPv6 support concurrent with limited old IPv4, the FAT32 to IPv6s NTFS. :D
I cannot circumvent the inventory as I do not have access to their database and only that department can access the database in that way.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

I tried it and my PDA displayed hit failed :(
Part of the reason they are no longer issuing VMNG300 modems is due to it not being able to channel bond in the same way as the Superhub.

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 21:33
Part of the reason they are no longer issuing VMNG300 modems is due to it not being able to channel bond in the same way as the Superhub.

I appreciate you taking the time to give me some insight into the way things work at VM.

I know the VMNG300 could be considered a stopgap solution, and that the Super Hub is meant to be able to handle 400Mbps or so. But since I'm looking to go for 30Mbps upgrade or maybe 50Mbps it would be fine until the Super Hub has more stability and a reliable bridge mode.

My contention is, what do VM lose by adding one to the account of particularly troublesome customers such as myself as both a goodwill gesture and a way to shut 'em up when they have spare inventory? A little bending of the rules for this sort of reason is good PR, reflecting well on VM.

jb66
04-03-2011, 21:34
Probably because if they do it for you a flood of customers will be calling up trying the same which might be a headache for vm ;)

Peter_
04-03-2011, 21:36
I appreciate you taking the time to give me some insight into the way things work at VM.

I know the VMNG300 could be considered a stopgap solution, and that the Super Hub is meant to be able to handle 400Mbps or so. But since I'm looking to go for 30Mbps upgrade or maybe 50Mbps it would be fine until the Super Hub has more stability and a reliable bridge mode.

My contention is, what do VM lose by adding one to the account of particularly troublesome customers such as myself as both a goodwill gesture and a way to shut 'em up when they have spare inventory? A little bending of the rules for this sort of reason is good PR, reflecting well on VM.
The guy in the other thread was probably lucky that it was allowed on the network and that kind of decision is out of my hands or even the agent that you spoke to, I wonder how our Quality team would have handled it if they heard that call.

zekeisaszekedoes
04-03-2011, 21:42
Probably because if they do it for you a flood of customers will be calling up trying the same which might be a headache for vm ;)

Not if I promise to keep it quiet. ;) :cool: :D

Peter_
04-03-2011, 21:49
The majority of customers will have never heard of the VMNG300 modem or even called up about an issue with the Superhub.

pip08456
04-03-2011, 22:00

Care to expand on that Masque?

Peter_
04-03-2011, 23:16
Care to expand on that Masque?
That is the reason given, maybe Nopanic can expand on it as its more his area.

jb66
04-03-2011, 23:30
The superhub looks as if it can bond 8 downstream channels in the diag page to the vmg300s 4.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 23:34
The superhub looks as if it can bond 8 downstream channels in the diag page to the vmg300s 4.
Thank you for that, yes thats the reason I was unsure as I am at home but the answer is within my work applications, which I would have checked when next in work.;)

qasdfdsaq
04-03-2011, 23:42
I've explained a few times, the VMNG300 has 4DS channel bonding whereas the Superhub has 8. 8DS was supposedly a requirement for 100mbps service but isn't currently used in practice, so the VMNG300 can handle all current configurations used in practice (barring perhaps some trial configurations).

[Edit]

NVM, beat me to it.

Mind you, I've had a thought. If VM are asking for Superhubs back when a customer disconnects, then presumably that's so they can give it to someone else, i.e. reassign it to a different customer. It may not be possible now, but logic suggests at some point in the future VM *will* make it possible to reassign an old modem/superhub to a new customer - either that or they will have to reprogram the MAC addresses on the returned SHs.

To be honest though, their current policy of *not* taking for modems back may actually be illegal under WEEE regulations.

Peter_
04-03-2011, 23:46
Mind you, I've had a thought. If VM are asking for Superhubs back when a customer disconnects, then presumably that's so they can give it to someone else, i.e. reassign it to a different customer. It may not be possible now, but logic suggests at some point in the future VM *will* make it possible to reassign an old modem/superhub to a new customer - either that or they will have to reprogram the MAC addresses on the returned SHs.
They can reassign modems once they are returned and refurbished, but they cannot reassign unreturned modems because they cannot be added to the inventory as per my answers to Zeke's posts above.

jb66
04-03-2011, 23:49
Can the vmg300 bond upstream?

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2011, 00:18
Should be able to, has same upstream bonding capability on the spec sheet as the Superhub (4 channels) but I heard a while ago someone suggesting it wasn't working properly...