PDA

View Full Version : Super Hub and Port Forwarding

Londonrichie
22-02-2011, 22:13
I have just upgraded to the Super Hub and very happy with the speeds.

The only issue I have found thus far is not being able to port forward: I cannot now connect and download from FTPs (Port 20/21) - I have port forwarded via the router login, disabled the Super Hub firewall and Windows 7 firewall.

I had a netgear router before switching over and never had an issue.

Any help appreciated! I'm completely stumped. :(

v0id
22-02-2011, 22:37
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=1617A595-F901-41B0-8E5F-61721077A345

Londonrichie
22-02-2011, 22:41
I have port forwarded correctly... I had a netgear router with the same menu before I upgraded and never had aproblem.

It is just not allowing me to port forward at all, is this a known issue?

craigj2k12
22-02-2011, 22:43
yeah this happens to me if i try and forward more than a couple ports. I have to do a "restore factory settings" before it lets me back in. i use dmz

also, you should disable the firewall in the router, on the same page as ip flood detection, not your windows 7 firewall

Londonrichie
22-02-2011, 22:45
Did it work in the end? Or is it totally hit and miss?

Mick Fisher
23-02-2011, 01:31
yeah this happens to me if i try and forward more than a couple ports. I have to do a "restore factory settings" before it lets me back in. i use dmz

also, you should disable the firewall in the router, on the same page as ip flood detection, not your windows 7 firewall
I have no issues witj port forwarding but I don't use the DMZ.

I wonder if there is an issue with Port Forwarding when DMZ is activated as well?

Seems to be so many bugs in this thing. :(

love2learn
23-02-2011, 07:32
I have no issues witj port forwarding but I don't use the DMZ.

I wonder if there is an issue with Port Forwarding when DMZ is activated as well?

Seems to be so many bugs in this thing. :(

I've got the Super Hub also, it arrived a couple of days ago. I'm based in India working, but my Dad is back home and wants to use the Xbox. I walked him through setting up a static IP address for the Xbox and set the Static IP as DMZ. I also set static IP addresses on two other PC's in the house and I've port forwarded to both of their static Ip's with no issues at all. I use the other machines to connect via VPN to allow me to use the Virgin IP address to watch BBC I player in India (there's a TV license at the house the IP address originates from, so perfectly legal). I managed to do all this remotely via LogMeIn.com and it's all working smoothly. Maybe I've just been lucky and got a good router, but you should try this... it will probably solve your problem as when your pc is rebooted the dhcp server on the router will on most occasions will assign your machine with a different ip address and the port forwarding will no longer work unless it's set to a static IP.

Londonrichie
23-02-2011, 12:45
Any good guides to help me do this? Sounds like it's an option

love2learn
23-02-2011, 13:15
Any good guides to help me do this? Sounds like it's an option

What operating system(s) are you using? And do you have any games consoles you want to forwards ports to?

love2learn
23-02-2011, 16:09
If you reply and don't get a reply from me for a while, it's due to the different time zone. I'm in India and we're 5.5 hours in front of the UK. So I'll reply tomorrow... I'm off to bed m8

Londonrichie
23-02-2011, 19:20
I am on Windows 7 and want to forward ports 20 and 21 to download from FTPs

Nope, don't have any Games consoles to connect.

Many thanks for your help.

foddy
23-02-2011, 21:28
You shouldn't need port forwarding for that, and you certainly shouldn't need to do anything with port 20.

There are two types of FTP, passive and ... non-passive. With non-passive, your client starts listening on a port for data transfers and the server connects back to you. This is usually the default, but it requires your firewall/NAT to track your FTP conversation, create a temporary port translation and open up access to the port. With NAT, it would also need to update your IP address so that the server tries to connect to the gateway's external address, not your internal address. I don't know whether the superhub supports all this or not.

With the second mode, passive, the server starts listening on a new socket and your client makes a second outbound connection to this to transfer data. For your end, no work is required by the superhub other than standard outbound NAT/PAT.

So, ensure that your FTP client is in passive mode (try Filezilla if you don't have a dedicated client) and all should work.

The caveat is that if the FTP server's firewall doesn't perform FTP protocol fixups, then passive mode won't work for the same reasons. I'm sure someone who has a superhub will tell you whether it allows non-passive mode or not.

Londonrichie
23-02-2011, 21:54
I am using Flash FXP in passive mode and I was able to connect to said FTP using the netgear router I had before, now I am not able too using the superhub. Nothing else has changed except that...

Any other ideas?

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

... maybe my ip has changed actually, shall check now

Mick Fisher
24-02-2011, 00:55
I just tried to use my Filezilla for the first time since getting a superhub.

Connected with no problems.

v0id
24-02-2011, 01:10

WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/docs/introduction) connects and transfers with no problems too

love2learn
24-02-2011, 08:01

Nope, don't have any Games consoles to connect.

Many thanks for your help.

I’ve got some time on my hands, so I’ll type my own guide for you…

Configuring a static IP address to your machine

(1)Click Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre (there’s other ways to get there, but this is the easiest to explain)

(2)On the left you will see “Change Adapter Settings” (Open this)

(3) Look for Local Area Connection>Right Click Local Area Connection>Select Properties

(4)Look for “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”>Double Click on it to open.

(5) Select “Use the following IP Address”

Enter the following…
IP Address: 192.168.0.50
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

(6) When you do this “Use the following DNS servers” will be automatically selected. You now need to enter the Virgin Media DNS server addresses. I use the following addresses on my machines…
Preferred DNS Server: 194.168.4.100
Alternate DNS Server: 194.168.8.100

(7) When you’ve done this, Click OK at the bottom… you will then be back at the Local Area Connection properties. You need to make sure you select OK at the bottom of this too for the changes to take effect. At which point your computer should then be online with the static IP address assigned. If not reboot it and it will be…

NOTE: I deliberately chose the number 50 as the identifying number on the IP address as the DHCP server, if still enabled will select numbers bellow that starting from 192.168.0.2 and unless you have more than 49 machines it will not conflict with the number I advised you off. If you have other machines then select identifying numbers higher than 50.
You can confirm the static IP address is setup properly by doing the following…
Click Start>above this in Search Programs and files type CMD. When command prompt opens type... IPCONFIG and press enter…then check that the IPv4 address is the static IP address you setup previously.
As you already know how to port forward, then just forward the required ports to the static IP address you setup.
Anyway, that’s what I do with the SuperHub and I have no problems using Xbox Live, Usenet, P2P, VPN’s, Remote Access and various other programs. And you don’t have to worry about the DHCP server possibly changing your IP address and losing the forwarded ports as your IP won’t change on your machine. I don’t use FTP clients so I’m not sure whether you need to forward ports or if you do what ports you need to forward. But if you’re certain you need to forward ports… use this method ;-)

Let me know how you get on...

Londonrichie
24-02-2011, 18:52
Hi mate, thanks for doing that, I found out that it was just infact down to my ip changing! Doh!

I have noted down those steps to use in the future so it won't go to waste!

Many thanks again
Rich

j0rdan
27-07-2011, 20:07
Just a quick note for anyone still struggling.
I had some problems today after my 100Mb install with port forwarding and it was all down to windows.

If your running Windows Vista, 7 or Server 2008 then this will happen when changing to a new router (such as a new SuperHub install).

Windows will detect it as a new network and automatically mark it us as a public one if you don't tell it otherwise, and so ups its firewall and rejects all incoming connections.

This is what happened to me on my server, my server doesn't have a monitor or keyboard so I was never prompted with the network location box. When i noticed it, changing it back to private home network instantly solved my problems.

bigsinky
28-07-2011, 21:20

likewise filezilla works fine on my linux box

qasdfdsaq
29-07-2011, 05:41
Not too helpful.

Filezilla works in many ways and with the right settings tunnels through just about every kind of NAT or firewall. None of you mention what mode you're using, so that's about as useful as "my mobile phone works" without saying what type of phone, network, etc.

You'll probably want to switch from active to passive mode FTP. Active mode uses port 21 outbound, but random ports inbound. You can't pre-forward the ports you need, because you won't know what they are - and neither will your Superhub be able to determine if you're using encryption and it's not intelligent enough.

Ports 20 and 21 inbound are privileged ports. You should have no reason to forward them unless you are running an FTP server yourself. What you need to do is forward a random high port range (e.g. 25438-25450) and tell Filezilla to restrict inbound ports to that range - or switch to passive mode. Passive mode uses no incoming ports and requires no port forwarding.