PDA

View Full Version : How much water or liquid do you drink per day?

Halcyon
22-02-2011, 20:27
I've been told I don't drink enough water per day as sometimes I only have a 200ml carton of apple juice per day.

I am trying to drink more water but find that sometimes I bring a bottle to work but just forget to drink it.
Some of my colleagues drink nearly 2 litres a day!

Do you keep hydrated?

ChrisLUFC22
22-02-2011, 20:43
I fill a 500ml Lucozade bottle four times a day, it is kinda hard to remember at first but you do get used to it and it just becomes second nature, promise!
And it makes you feel better aswell ;)

PeteLockwood
22-02-2011, 20:47
i think the recomended is about 3litres per day ? i drink nowere near this... probably 1.5 on a good day

CycoSymz
22-02-2011, 20:50
I only drink around one glass of water per day, but I also have about 7 cups of coffee and maybe a glass of milk.

Maggy
22-02-2011, 20:53
It's a misnomer that you need to drink so much water per day.You can take your liquid intake in any manner you wish from fruit juice to coffee to milk.All your food contains water to some degree.If you eat stuff with lots of gravy and sauces they contain water.Yoghurt or wine it's liquid.

So you can get the liquid you need in the amount you need but it doesn't just have to be water.

BTW most of my intake is tea based with a bit of tonic water,bitter lemon or milk and the occasional large glass of ice cold water from the fridge.;)

Halcyon
22-02-2011, 21:00
I see many colleagues drinking tea and coffee but I drink neither of those so dont go and have any when they do.

Maggy
22-02-2011, 21:05
I see many colleagues drinking tea and coffee but I drink neither of those so dont go and have any when they do.

Well there is your clue as to what to do.Drink when your colleagues do and your intake will go up, only you drink fruit juice or hot chocolate or whatever you fancy instaed of tea and coffee..A bottle of made up squash is nice to take into work and put in the communal fridge.

Besides which at least you are taking a short break when you get a drink.;)

haydnwalker
22-02-2011, 21:55
I don't drink enough, especially not at work throughout the day. I usually have 500ml to 1l in sugar free juice/pop etc. I don't drink coffee or tea at work and dont drink water (though I take bottles but like Halcyon, forget to drink them)

Hom3r
22-02-2011, 22:25
i think the recomended is about 3litres per day ? i drink nowere near this... probably 1.5 on a good day

That I believe is during summer months.

I used to drink 8 cups of tea a day.

Halcyon
22-02-2011, 22:55
From a bit of research I found this chart which seems to indicate how dehydrated you are according to your urine colour.

Download Failed (1)

moaningmags
22-02-2011, 23:12
I drink a minimum of 6 litres of diet Irn Bru every day, I never drink anything else.

craigj2k12
22-02-2011, 23:12
what if its blue?

Gary L
22-02-2011, 23:14
From a bit of research I found this chart which seems to indicate how dehydrated you are according to your urine colour.

I always thought it was just the colour of the lager :)

Stephen
23-02-2011, 00:30
I drink a minimum of 6 litres of diet Irn Bru every day, I never drink anything else.

6 litres per day!! Wow that's a lot. Also don't you mean Irn Bru sugar free ;)

moaningmags
23-02-2011, 00:33
6 litres minimum! Pfft I'll keep calling it diet, makes me feel healthy ;)

TheDon
23-02-2011, 01:21
Around 3 litres, mostly water, a couple of cups of tea.

Caff
23-02-2011, 01:34
2+ litres for me.
I totted it all up (except for the liquid in food) and I was nicely suprised :D

---------- Post added at 01:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 ----------

This is useful, I thought:

Download Failed (1)

haydnwalker
23-02-2011, 09:18

Download Failed (1)

We have that up in the loos at work...its not always a good indication though :)

I find that, if I have a headache during the day, I'm dehydrated :)

I actually drank more yesterday after seeing this thread, and ended up drinking 4 litres of Pepsi Max along with a hot chocolate made with water...

pabscars
23-02-2011, 10:05

Download Failed (1)

I need to get more fluids down me, according to your chart I'm severely dehydrated on occasions.

Off to the brew machine for my caffeine fix

Mr_love_monkey
23-02-2011, 10:42

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/images/urine_chart.jpg

my wife now thinks there's something wrong with me as i took the laptop into the toilet with me..

pabscars
23-02-2011, 10:54
my wife now thinks there's something wrong with me as i took the laptop into the toilet with me..

Thats silly, I just pee'd in a glass and brought it back to my desk and held it up to the screen :D

Angua
23-02-2011, 11:14
Apparently it doesn't matter what you drink provided it is not alcohol or too much caffeine. Then you have to consider fruit juice & squash are not great for the teeth, but fruit juice does at least contribute towards your five a day. :D Hence why they promote water.

haydnwalker
23-02-2011, 11:19
Thats silly, I just pee'd in a glass and brought it back to my desk and held it up to the screen :D

I think you would have got the same funny look as MLM if your other half saw that whole process from start to finish ;)

A better idea IMHO would have been print the page in colour and stick it at eye level above the loo??

Maggy
23-02-2011, 11:22
Apparently it doesn't matter what you drink provided it is not alcohol or too much caffeine. Then you have to consider fruit juice & squash are not great for the teeth, but fruit juice does at least contribute towards your five a day. :D Hence why they promote water.

:tu:

And if you eat lots of casseroles and stews and soups you are still getting your daily allowance that way.

soup dragon
23-02-2011, 12:16
we have a sign up at work that states you should drink a cup of water for every cup of tea or coffee you have as caffeine is a diuretic.

pabscars
23-02-2011, 12:32
I think you would have got the same funny look as MLM if your other half saw that whole process from start to finish ;)

A better idea IMHO would have been print the page in colour and stick it at eye level above the loo??

Yep I did get a few funny looks, especially as the glass was brimming so I had to walk very very slowly :D

All joking aside, I'm going to keep a closer eye on my water intake and see if I cant get it a little nearer the norm

Mr_love_monkey
23-02-2011, 13:43
does it count if you drink your own urine?

pabscars
23-02-2011, 14:00
does it count if you drink your own urine?

Kinky

Jimmy-J
23-02-2011, 14:04
There was a time when I hardly drank a thing. But over the past 4 years I make sure I drink plenty of cold sparkling water mixed with sugar free robinsons squash, the strawberry and kiwi is lovely. I have between 4 or 5 1Ltr bottles a day.

I've been on a liquid only diet a few times, the longest I went without solid food was 9 months. I'll probably start it again in a week or so.

I drank the contents of a morissons meat & potato pie this morning! Pie's arn't what they used to be. :td:

progers
23-02-2011, 14:05
3 litres per day is the recommended amount to drink and as a previous poster said, that includes most liquids.

However, coffee and alcohol are diuretics so if you drink these, you need to increase your intake - however, having a pint then having two more to counterbalance the diuretic effect doesn't count!

Hom3r
23-02-2011, 14:35
Drinking to much water can be very dangerous and lead to Water intoxication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication),

Water intoxication, also known as hyper-hydration, water poisoning, or overhydration, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/wiki/Brain) functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/wiki/Electrolyte) in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/wiki/Water).

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

I was told in the summer months if you are drinking a lot you can put a oinch of salt & sugar in the water to balance the electrolyte levels.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

I buy the lucozade sports drink in powered form and mix myself, per litre it is far cheaper.