PDA

View Full Version : Superhub - WiFi speed seems capped?? Any ideas?

jonmarriott
22-02-2011, 15:34
Upgraded today to superhub, and speed upped to 30MB.

Beforehand, speedtests were showing around 17MB by wifi, 19 cabled. Fine. 2MB upspeed for both.

Afterwards, speedtests are showing around 12MB by wifi, around 30 cabled, 3MB upspeed for both.

Netgear router using G (laptop does't have an N card :( LOL

Tried explaining this to Indian callcentre but went off script so no resolution or explanation, just a reboot.

Lots of reboots done.

Any ideas, anyone?

Hugh
22-02-2011, 15:39
Have you tried (in advanced settings)

Switching off ipflood
Switching off router firewall
Changing 802.11 to 145Mb/s

StevenJohnson
22-02-2011, 15:56
VM have admitted that it's faulty...

I wouldn't waste your time messing with it...

jonmarriott
22-02-2011, 15:58
Thanks

It's now around 18MB - is this around the upper limit for 802.11G??

Also within the documentation from VM they mention the use of the 802.11N dongle as though one is supplied. Should it have been or not?

StevenJohnson
22-02-2011, 16:00
I'm having the same issues Jon...
My speeds are reporting the same...

Just out of interest, what speed over the wireless are you able to download a file at? I barely get over 260kb a second...

Hugh
22-02-2011, 16:00
VM have admitted that it's faulty...

I wouldn't waste your time messing with it...
They've stated that a firmware update is coming out - not quite the same thing.

Some people have had improved results by trying some of the options mentioned - please don't dismiss them out of hand.

StevenJohnson
22-02-2011, 16:02

Some people have had improved results by trying some of the options mentioned - please don't dismiss them out of hand.

I just read this report...
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/02/22/virgin-media-uk-admits-to-broadband-speed-problems-with-new-superhub-routers.html

jonmarriott
22-02-2011, 16:04
I have been downloading files to my server as fast as beforehand, though the server to the laptop now seems a bit more sluggish over wireless...

Previous router was also netgear.

zekeisaszekedoes
22-02-2011, 21:13
It's now around 18MB - is this around the upper limit for 802.11G??

That's about the best I ever got from G, using a much better wireless-capable router than the one in the Super Hub.

This card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN861N-Wireless-Mini-Adapter/dp/B0017YHYFM/) is a nice internal upgrade for older laptops that have mini PCI, rather than buying a more expensive ugly dongle to hang out of a USB or Cardbus slot. ;)

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

And some have spent dozens of hours trying to wring blood from the proverbial stone (or in this case, svelte black paperweight) so I think the original advice still stands, at least until May when the upgrade is scheduled to arrive.

Hugh
22-02-2011, 21:15
If they try the advice and it works, good; if it doesn't, they are no worse off - it works for some, why dismiss it?