PDA

View Full Version : virgin staff please give your advice and assistance

craigj2k12
22-02-2011, 10:32
Alright guys, I'm hoping you Virgin techs on this forum are able to do this. Can you check my ubr for utilisation issues and other things. I have sometimes high ping and jitter, mainly in peak times. In peak times when my ping rises, there is a decrease in upload speed. I presume the ubr is just about coping with the upload conjestion, and my ping spikes when the ubr starts to struggle? I'm on the knowsley ubr (know)

If you could check that, it would be great. also, my power levels are high. They are within range so i can't call up and complain but can i buy my own forward path attenuators, or could you send me one? I need about a 12 or 13 db attenuator but i don't think these exist. If anyone has a 15 db, or can point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Nopanic
22-02-2011, 10:41
... this isn't a VM forum mate, we can't help you like that.

Pop over to http://community.virginmedia.com/

craigj2k12
22-02-2011, 10:46
IV had a thread open there for over a week mate they just don't respond as quick as you get on here :(

pabscars
22-02-2011, 10:57
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=15db&_kw=forward&_kw=path

Would this be what your looking for ;)

Chrysalis
22-02-2011, 11:00
you have 15db power level?

craigj2k12
22-02-2011, 12:46
15.7db but between 15 and 16 usually

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

thanks pabs just what i was looking for. stupidly i typed "15db forward path attenuator" which gave me nothing just "15db forward path" gave me that one because the dumbass who was selling it spelled attenuator wrong! thanks though mate

pabscars
22-02-2011, 13:18
No worries, your levels are quite a way out (mine are high at +9db) so try the FPA and see how it goes, touch wood it will make an improvement.

Nopanic
22-02-2011, 17:37
Sorry why are you paying for it ?

Get a tech out for free..

craigj2k12
22-02-2011, 22:31
i already have an attenuator, i got an engineer out and he fitted a 10db forward path but its still high, just not high enough to report a fault

craigj2k12
23-02-2011, 08:49
when does http://community.virginmedia.com/ get read

my thread on there still hasnt been answered. should I bump it or what, how long does it take for them to reply?

also, can i ring up about ping and jitter, or would it be more use telling next doors cat?

love2learn
23-02-2011, 09:15
when does http://community.virginmedia.com/ get read

my thread on there still hasnt been answered. should I bump it or what, how long does it take for them to reply?

also, can i ring up about ping and jitter, or would it be more use telling next doors cat?

hahahahaha ... On most occasions, Virgin Media's broadband customer service (excluding the Be Cogent centre in Scotland) is as much use as a paper umbrella in a hurricane mate. Especially the Indian call centre. If it weren't for them being the only viable provider of fibre broadband for me I'd be in about another provider like a tramp eating chips.
When I get through to Be Cogent in Scotland, they usually try hard to help me and I get the feeling from their tone, that they are being monitored a bit more closely and genuinely care. Although no call centre’s perfect, so make your own mind up.
When I get through to England I found it’s my Donald Duck on weather I get a good knowledgeable member of staff or not.
When I get through to India. I’ve learned to hang up and try again. Usually the next day as during the day I’ve found I’m more likely to get through to the UK… When dealing with India I end up going off the phone more frustrated with the problem than when I started. For example, when I called up about a speed issue previously, they advised something was wrong with my modem and sent me another. It came, I activated it and the problem was still there. I didn’t have time to talk about the issue at that moment in time, so I called later that night…. Got India again. They told me the levels were wrong on my modem again and said unfortunately I have received a bad modem. I said to them, it’s brand new… how can it be faulty the same as the other one. It’s obviously something wrong on the network. “Oh no sir, it’s a problem with this modem, I will need to send another”. So I got the 2nd modem (at this point I now had 3 modems in total, the original and the two they sent). I called up and activated it, problem was still there… they transferred me through to Be Cogent and they told me straight away “the Indian centre was wrong to send out the two modems… the issue is with your UBR, it’s being upgraded to Docsis 3.0” and this is causing a temporary drop in speed due to the work being carried out.”. Sure enough he problem was gone the following afternoon.
Basically, if you don't think your problems getting dealt with effectively when you call them, then I would say the phone should accidentally disconnect and you would have to call again on 150 at their expense till you get someone who does move things forward. I find this works for me just fine ;-)

Rant over, my blood boils with them sometimes hahaha…

pabscars
23-02-2011, 09:22
Have you got a direct link to your post craig

Re: ping and jitter, I don't think VM will do anything about it specifically but they can check for issues and will probably see your power levels are high and book you another tech.

craigj2k12
23-02-2011, 11:53
Well IV bought the 15 db attenuator, as well as a 3db to put on with the 10db IV already got. I'll give them a try to see if things improve but I can't see that power levels are affecting ping and jitter. I'm hoping that sorting the power levels out will stop me having to reboot the hub every day. But I'm not sure whether that's a connection issue or a superhub issue I'll keep you posted

pabscars
23-02-2011, 12:05
When you've had a play, post back with the stats from your hub, upstream and downstream power levels etc.

If nothing improves all you can do is ring the VM support guys and ask them to check your connection for issues, be sure to tell them how much attenuation you've got hanging off the back of your hub.

craigj2k12
23-02-2011, 12:49
Will the attenuators make a difference? I don't need changing to a different tap, my upstream power levels are fine and up and down snr are fine surely ping and jitter is only affected by utilisation at the ubr?