PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking an iPhone and using it with an existing PAYG SIM

Chris
21-02-2011, 11:32
Morning all ... I'm tying myself in knots trying to get a simple answer to this question so I thought I'd ask here in case someone already has the answers before I wear Google out altogether.

I have the possibility of acquiring an O2 iPhone. If I can get it, I want it unlocked and then I want to insert my existing Orangs Pay As You Go SIM in it (it currently resides in an old but reliable Nokia 1600).

I've pretty much established that the unlocking can be done, so long as the handset is out of its initial contract period with O2. However I have no idea how easy it is to simply insert an old SIM card from another network into an iPhone.

Do I have to register the iPhone with Orange? Will the SIM even fit? I've never held an iPhone long enough to know where to put a SIM in it.

I don't need advice about tariffs and other options. I use my current phone rarely and do not want that to change. However I do need to be able to keep tabs on my email and access my calendar while I'm away from home - we run B&B and use Apple's MobileMe with Mail and iCal apps on our home Mac for bookings. I was able to do this for the most part while we were travelling during half term but it was a pain having to rely on friends' PCs to do it. All I need is my own handheld terminal so I can check these in my own time, mostly using WiFi wherever I can get it.

haydnwalker
21-02-2011, 11:48
The current owner needs to contact O2 for the unlocking (which is free) and any sim can then go into it...SIMs are standard sized (even for iPhones - apart from the obvious iPad Micro SIMs).

You don't need an iPhone Tariff from Orange (if you aren't going to use data) or if you are going to use data then just a tariff that includes some data would be sufficient.

The SIM goes in the top of the iPhone (theres a little tray it sits in) and all you need is a thin sharp point to open it (theres sometimes SIM ejector tools with iPhones) or a pin would do nicely.

And, according to O2, an iPhone can be unlocked at any point (not just in contract) for free.

dilli-theclaw
21-02-2011, 11:49
Once the phone is unlocked (and activated via itunes) you can put whatever sim card you want in it.

However when I put my sisters old sim card in it it wouldn't work on 3g until she had a newer sim card so I'm not sure if that is relevant in your case.

Chris
21-02-2011, 11:51
Superb ... that's exactly what I needed to know. The iPhone currently belongs to a member of my family so getting them to do the honours with O2 won't be an issue ... just as soon as they decide if they're going to keep the thing or not.

I suspect they're not going to keep it as all the fun stuff they like doing on it can also be done (and better) on the iPad they got for Christmas. Jealous? Me? Well, just a tad, but a nice 2nd hand iPhone would make me feel lots better. :D

devilincarnate
21-02-2011, 11:56
Hi Chris try this:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

Hope this helps

haydnwalker
21-02-2011, 11:59
Oh and... if you do put your Orange SIM in, you'll need to edit the data settings in the iPhone to match Orange's :)

Chris
21-02-2011, 12:13
Aha .... we get to the heart of the issue. :D

What data settings would those be, and where would I get them from?

gazzae
21-02-2011, 12:19
The current owner needs to contact O2 for the unlocking (which is free) and any sim can then go into it...SIMs are standard sized (even for iPhones - apart from the obvious iPad Micro SIMs).

IPhone 4 uses a Micro SIM as well.

roger skillin
21-02-2011, 12:30
Just jailbreak the iphone and install the sim unlock program, simple quick process, no need to contact anyone

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Just looked at the O2 link, i didn't know you could unlock it for free if it is on contract, that's a nice bit of info thanks

Zing
21-02-2011, 12:38
Aha .... we get to the heart of the issue. :D

What data settings would those be, and where would I get them from?

unless iphones are different Orange would be able to send the settings remotely and you just select ok in the text. As I say iphones may be different but pretty much every other phone on the market would be updatable this way.( Orange do do the iphone so I see no reason why this kind of message can not be sent)

devilincarnate
21-02-2011, 12:45
The sim card goes in to the top of the handset:

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/535249

Not sure of the data settings you may need to call Orange.

Zing
21-02-2011, 12:55
http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/535645

oranges iphone trouble shooter pages

I know android phones pick up the settings from the network I am surprised this may not the case with iphones

devilincarnate
21-02-2011, 13:17
Here are the settings for you ( not sure if they are 100% accurate? )

Orange UK

Cellular Data

APN: orangeinternet
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Visual Voicemail – Not currently supported on Orange UK (even though the phone is sold on Orange)

APN: N/A
Username: N/A
Password: N/A
MMS (username and password are case sensitive)

APN: orangemms
Username: Orange
Password: Multimedia
MMSC: http://mms.orange.co.uk
MMS Proxy: 192.168.224.10:8080
MMS Max Message Size: 307200
MMS UA Prof URL: (blank)

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2009/11/how-to-unlock-your-iphone/