PDA

View Full Version : Worried Future Superhub User

frattonstation
21-02-2011, 11:29
Hi all, I am new to wireless internet, my superhub is due to arrive in a couple of weeks, but I am concerned about all of this talk of IP addresses, ports opening and closing etc.

what does it all mean?
is it not easy to set up?
I intend to get an Xbox to use with my wireless connection is this easy to use with the Superhub?
Are there any good Introduction Guides to wireless broadband on the internet anywhere?

Another point, will the VM Engineer be happy to drill a hole in a wall so the hub can be at the front of the house instead of my current hardwire setup which is at the back of the house to my PC? (wire is currently running through the house and up the stairs, looks pretty naff!).

zekeisaszekedoes
21-02-2011, 11:45
The problem is that VM (in conjunction with Netgear) have designed the unit to be simpler for non-technical folks to set up, but in fact have made it harder in some cases because the firmware - aka the "operating system" - is not designed very well. People report issues running more than one PS3/X360 online, wireless dropouts and a plethora of other failings which require you to reboot the thing several times a week to keep it working.

This is just people using the "basic" functions too... heaven help you if you want to do anything more complex.

You don't have to get the Super Hub registered on your account straight away if you'd rather wait for VM to sort out the problems, which I would highly recommend if you already have a routed broadband setup that works fine.

darkm
21-02-2011, 11:57
i have the superhub, my xbox works fine although it is hard wired. Havent needed to do port forwarding, at the minute just using upnp. All ports opening fine. Xbox online works fine with voice.

The hub seems to be working fine with p2p appliications and normal web and streaming sites. Havent needed to reboot at any time.

Dont really have any major complaint and I imagine with future firmware updates that any outstanding issues will be resolved.

StevenJohnson
21-02-2011, 15:14
I hope they get it sorted soon...

My XBOX is wired and haven't had any issues with that, but my wireless performance is terrible. I've tried everything to boost the signal and speed.

I'm on the 30mb package, and when I'm wired with the laptop I can download a file at 3mb a second, but as soon as I go wireless it only downloads at 260kb a second. I was downloading 4 times that speed when I was on 10mb, so something isn't right.

The VM forums are flooded with complaints at the moment, you can't ignore the fact that something isn't right with the Superhub.

Taf
21-02-2011, 16:01
2 xboxes on here, playing head-to-head.... no problems (hardwired)

Auld Reekie
21-02-2011, 16:20
Being a layman in the computer world I would appreciate any help.
At the moment I have a Netgear router connected to my modem and main computer.
I will shortly be upgraded from 20m to 50m and have the Super hub router installed.
Do I still need my Netgear router in use when I use my laptop in another room?
What is involved when the engineer installs the hub as the cable along the room wall is hidden behind the skirting board. Will this be a problem?
Thanks in advance.

pip08456
21-02-2011, 16:22
The engineer will just unscrew the F connector from the modem and screw it on the superhub.

As the superhub has wireless connectivity you should be good to go without your router.

Auld Reekie
21-02-2011, 16:56
The engineer will just unscrew the F connector from the modem and screw it on the superhub.

As the superhub has wireless connectivity you should be good to go without your router.

Much appreciated your reply.