PDA

View Full Version : Superhub - are you happy with it ?

Nopanic
20-02-2011, 21:10
Loads of threads talking about the Superhub, so not interested in details.

Just looking for yes or no via the poll please.

c@tbyte
20-02-2011, 21:15
Voted yes.
Not had a single problem. :)

zekeisaszekedoes
20-02-2011, 21:45
Voted no. Multitude of problems discussed at length not to be regurgitated here. :D

DerekRothwell
20-02-2011, 22:18
I'll let you know if the bugger ever arrives

allanprg
20-02-2011, 23:02
I voted yes. No problem with my one.

Xan
20-02-2011, 23:48
No probs here allways 10/10 for virginmedia broadband :)

Peter_
20-02-2011, 23:49
It works for me no problems since install 9 days ago.

StevenJohnson
20-02-2011, 23:51
Voted NO!

Wireless has issues...

Mick Fisher
21-02-2011, 00:30
Yes or No with no shades of grey?

Well it's usable but has far too many 'niggles' the most serious of which is the wireless performance.

So I have had to vote No!

jtaylor06
21-02-2011, 01:19
Although I voted yes, there are times when it can be "Super" (pardon the pun) annoying.
Tonight it's been playing up as it keeps disconnecting my mobile phone and other devices at random times.

But I'm still happy with it, I had to get it due to my dead NETGEAR otherwise I'd be wouldn't be able to use wireless :)

joveonmars
21-02-2011, 02:03
keeps disconnecting my mobile phone and other devices at random times
The DHCP lease time is set very short by default under LAN IP in advanced. When it expires it disconnects you then you aquire a new network address which takes time. I've set mine to 604800 seconds (1 week).

No problems for me so Yes

zekeisaszekedoes
21-02-2011, 02:11
The DHCP lease time is set very short by default under LAN IP in advanced. When it expires it disconnects you then you aquire a new network address which takes time. I've set mine to 604800 seconds (1 week).

No offense but this doesn't function as an excuse, in my opinion. I have almost every device on my network given a static DHCP addresse with a whopping ten minutes of lease time. Not once has this been a problem on computer, phone, Xbox or even Sony TV with ethernet port. This is on a freely available third party firmware. Obviously this points at a severe problem with DHCP leases on the Super Hub. Throw it on the pile... :D

But I'm still happy with it, I had to get it due to my dead NETGEAR otherwise I'd be wouldn't be able to use wireless :)

Once again no offense, but saying that the Super Hub is better than a dead router made by the same company is perhaps the faintest praise I've ever heard bestowed upon a piece of technology.

qasdfdsaq
21-02-2011, 02:45
Once again no offense, but saying that the Super Hub is better than a dead router made by the same company is perhaps the faintest praise I've ever heard bestowed upon a piece of technology.
Haha, this actually made me laugh.

Nopanic
21-02-2011, 07:54
Yes or No with no shades of grey?

Well it's usable but has far too many 'niggles' the most serious of which is the wireless performance.

So I have had to vote No!

Any doubts at all, its a NO, no if's or buts.

Seems (strangely) considering the audience, that it's not all that hated ..

pabscars
21-02-2011, 09:34
Voted "No", the wireless performance is below par even when comparing to very cheap hardware, port forwarding doesn't always work, plus DMZ can fall over if ports are being used on other devices.

That aside its been OK

gregf
21-02-2011, 11:00
Voted no.

Poor wifi performance, crippled feature set.

Virgin saying "We will ship an update for the firmware in April" when it would take no more than 10 minutes to do the job (set build flags, build, make image, release).

You can build the complete linux kernel in a couple of hours. There is no justification for claiming a flash ROM image takes 2 months to build.

deuse
21-02-2011, 11:04
Voted No

I have UPnP problems with my NAS. i.e I switch on my NAS the SHub sees the NAS but when the NAS tries to get the UPnP ports the
SHub resets or locks up.

hambox
21-02-2011, 11:19
I voted yes. No problems to report but I was amazed when setting IP address reservations for my devices that it needs a reboot after entering each one! 14 network devices, some both LAN and WiFi, meant it took a while!

Taf
21-02-2011, 11:27
Voted yes. 4 wired connections with switches on 2 lines to swap between PC and Xboxes.

Don't appear to get 3Mb upload speed though.

zekeisaszekedoes
21-02-2011, 12:26
You can build the complete linux kernel in a couple of hours. There is no justification for claiming a flash ROM image takes 2 months to build.

That seems fair. I know guys who compile entire media centre software builds in that time (few hours one evening for example), so surely a firmware update on a router which is much smaller and made for a specific chipset should be fairly simple by comparison.

Chrysalis
21-02-2011, 13:09
I voted yes. No problems to report but I was amazed when setting IP address reservations for my devices that it needs a reboot after entering each one! 14 network devices, some both LAN and WiFi, meant it took a while!

all 3 of my netgear routers do that, yet every single one of my non netgear routers dont do it. Its very poor for sure. its expecially bad as this also reboots the modem not just the router.

qasdfdsaq
21-02-2011, 14:11
That seems fair. I know guys who compile entire media centre software builds in that time (few hours one evening for example), so surely a firmware update on a router which is much smaller and made for a specific chipset should be fairly simple by comparison.
Takes me about 3 minutes to modify a few lines of source code for a router firmware and rebuild it.

To be honest, this poll would be a fairer comparison if we had a question re: "Are you happy with your standalone modem" to go along with it. The numbers currently show over 40% of people are dissatisfied with the SH, but we can't gauge what these numbers mean statistically without something to compare them to.

As stated, the audience is expected to be biased towards dissatisfied people, as 40% in the wild would be completely unacceptable. But without anything comparable to compare it to relatively, we can't say much.

Jumborat
21-02-2011, 15:36
Voted yes.

All in all I'm happy with my upgrade from L to XL. Great speeds too.

Fspiders
21-02-2011, 17:39
100% yes.

4 wired connections and 2 wireless all downloading at full specs. No messing about with ports or stuff. Apart from switching off ip flood in the settings it's been plug and play.

Loving it!

Hugh
21-02-2011, 17:46
That seems fair. I know guys who compile entire media centre software builds in that time (few hours one evening for example), so surely a firmware update on a router which is much smaller and made for a specific chipset should be fairly simple by comparison.Mmmmm - if one of my tech guys came to me, stated the above, and asked to roll it out, my first question would be "has it been trialled on an appropriate sampling of our infrastructure?", and then if it has, look for a phased roll-out to the rest of the estate, with an appropriate roll-back plan for when the unforeseen problems arose.

Which would take more than a couple of hours*.....;)

*and we only have about 300 servers, couple of hundred core and edge network pieces of kit, and 4,500 PC's - the opportunity to screw up (worse) four million customers broadband links is probably the reason they don't put out "quick fixes" - imho.....

qasdfdsaq
21-02-2011, 17:53
And yet the Superhub itself was a "quick fix" which screwed up many broadband connections.

Peter_
21-02-2011, 17:54
*and we only have about 300 servers, couple of hundred core and edge network pieces of kit, and 4,500 PC's - the opportunity to screw up (worse) four million customers broadband links is probably the reason they don't put out "quick fixes" - imho.....
I love the way people try to compare Virginmedia's Nationwide infrastructure to a local network in an office block or blocks.

I can imagine the uproar that would ensue if they put in place a quick fix as advocated above, they would all be screaming about them not taking their time with a controlled testing and rollout timetable and calling it unproffesional.

But as usual that does not sound good if you are an expert in your field.

Hugh
21-02-2011, 17:55
And yet the Superhub itself was a "quick fix" which screwed up many broadband connections.Which is why I put (worse) - but sometimes/quite often a "quick fix" just makes things worse, and then you have an amalgam of problems to fix.....

jtaylor06
21-02-2011, 18:26
Haha, this actually made me laugh.

Haha, I do sound a bit stupid now - however no offence taken zekeisaszekedoes.