PDA

View Full Version : How often are IP addresses likely to change?

zoombini
20-02-2011, 12:31
Hi all, not been here for a long while.

I'm just wondering how often a VM IP address is likely to change in all reality?

I know its likely to be on DHCP but does resetting a VM modem enable the IP to change easily?

From what I can remember from many years ago - even resetting it I still had the same IP.

Thank you.
Zoombini.

qasdfdsaq
20-02-2011, 12:33
I find it in practice rarely, if ever changes. Most times I've been with VM I've had the same IP for months on end, despite numerous modem reboots.

I've only seen it change if/when they're doing a network reconfiguration, i.e. resegmentation

MovedGoalPosts
20-02-2011, 12:37
Resetting your modem rarely changes your IP assuming the same kit (computer / router) is connected to it. If you change the kit, or even the mac address directly connected to the router the IP may well change. The IP allocated has a certain lease so if you left the modem off for some time that IP lease might expire so you might get a different one when starting again. Other than that it would be a VM network change.

In practice for most people the VM dynamic IP is almost static.

Peter_
20-02-2011, 12:44
If you require it to change for whatever reason then switching off the modem for 12/24 hours can result in a new ip in the majority of cases, but in the main your ip can stay with you for a long time as the others above have already stated.

adzii_nufc
20-02-2011, 12:44
Like the post above say, I find it extremely rare to see my I.P change at all from month to month. I used to be able to change it about 6 different combinations at one point but dont know what happened after that.

zoombini
21-02-2011, 07:45
Cheers, I don't want it to change for a long while so that sounds good.

Peter_
21-02-2011, 07:50
Cheers, I don't want it to change for a long while so that sounds good.
It should be ok as long as you do not change your router or network card, and the modem is not left off for a long period of time.

progers
21-02-2011, 10:01
I turn my modem off when I go on holiday for a week; that's normally the only time the ip address changes.

zekeisaszekedoes
21-02-2011, 11:37
Assuming seperate modem, WAN IP changes when MAC of first device after (either router or regular computer) changes. Some router firmwares allow you to change the WAN side MAC which of course results in another IP address being assigned; bear in mind if you do this a modem reboot is required.

I would still recommend setting up a Dynamic DNS client if you need to access parts of your home network away from home... much easier than relying on and/or memorising an IP that might change. I like to use FreeDNS (http://freedns.afraid.org/) because unlike DynDNS you can have multiple host names assigned to different IPs plus you don't get a monthly nag email reminding you to reverify your non-paid account. There's a good selection of short, easy to remember/type hosts available.

smcaul
21-02-2011, 21:40
Mine has been with me for about a year now!! its a pain when it does change as I run a server that serves 4 or 5 small personal (non trading) websites from it, and when the ip changes I have to change all the DNS settings!!! I wish they would offer static ones!!! But you cant have everything!

alt_guy
21-02-2011, 21:46
I've had the same IP for just over 2 years.

It hasn't changed since I reconfigured my Firewall NIC's back in 2008.

The best thing about them is their ''static'' addresses..

qasdfdsaq
21-02-2011, 22:44
Mine has been with me for about a year now!! its a pain when it does change as I run a server that serves 4 or 5 small personal (non trading) websites from it, and when the ip changes I have to change all the DNS settings!!! I wish they would offer static ones!!! But you cant have everything!
They do offer static IP. For people who pay for it.

Peter_
22-02-2011, 06:18
You can get static ip addresses from the Business side who will charge you for it.http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/

zoombini
22-02-2011, 08:06
HI all, fyi I dont have VM, I only asked because I am receiving emails from someone
and I want to be keeping an eye out for them emailing me under another email address.

Cheers,
Zoom.

Chrysalis
22-02-2011, 08:22
They do offer static IP. For people who pay for it.

apparently its not full static as in it will change if you get resegged. I assume also if move between docsis1 and 3.

which in reality is the same as you get on residental VM since they sticky ip's as long as dont turn off modem for days at time or change the modem to a different one. Obviously at the moment with people switching to superhubs they will get new ip's but in general if people stick to one modem the ip will stay with them.

Ignitionnet
22-02-2011, 10:01
The upcoming business cable modem products will have fully static IP addresses.

Kymmy
22-02-2011, 11:16
Any ETA on that? ;)