PDA

View Full Version : Changing IP address on Superhub?

MaXiMiZe
20-02-2011, 04:34
Hi, I just wanted to know if there's any way of changing your IP that is assigned to you by VM. Previously you could change the MAC address of the router that you were using with the modem, but you cannot do that as far as I can see. Any Suggestions?

Wayfair
20-02-2011, 06:04
You could change the mac on your nic, use something like Technitium MAC Address Change, tis free..

Kymmy
20-02-2011, 08:44
You could change the mac on your nic, use something like Technitium MAC Address Change, tis free..

Does the superhub pass through your PC's MAC or have it's own on the router side???

Nopanic
20-02-2011, 08:45
Does the superhub pass through your PC's MAC or have it's own on the router side???

It has it's own as its a modem too ..

edit: I just answered a network question .. oh crap ...

waits to be corrected ..

Hugh
20-02-2011, 08:48
Does the superhub pass through your PC's MAC or have it's own on the router side???Kymmy,

congrats on your 12,000th post.:)

Kymmy
20-02-2011, 08:57
It has it's own as its a modem too ..

edit: I just answered a network question .. oh crap ...

waits to be corrected ..

The modem will have it's own and the router will have it's own, but is the router side's MAC is unique to the router or can it clone the PC's MAC..

If only the former then Technitium MAC Address Change will have no effect

Nopanic
20-02-2011, 10:49
The modem will have it's own and the router will have it's own, but is the router side's MAC is unique to the router or can it clone the PC's MAC..

If only the former then Technitium MAC Address Change will have no effect

Keeping in mind that it's me making this post ..

but I can only see one MAC address in the superhub ..

Kymmy
20-02-2011, 11:16
Keeping in mind that it's me making this post ..

but I can only see one MAC address in the superhub ..

I know, but I won't hold it against you ;)

qasdfdsaq
20-02-2011, 11:32
It doesn't pass through your PC's mac, and I don't think there's a way to tell it to or set it to.

Kymmy
20-02-2011, 11:39
So until they bring in bridged mode there is no way of changing IP address on the fly?

qasdfdsaq
20-02-2011, 11:42
Not as far as I know, no. Last time this question was asked, none of the VM staff could come up with a suggestion either.

Peter_
20-02-2011, 12:08
So until they bring in bridged mode there is no way of changing IP address on the fly?
No as this modem does not send your equipments MAC address to our servers until we get bridge mode.

zekeisaszekedoes
20-02-2011, 12:15
Well, if you have seperate modem and router and the router can be flashed with DD-WRT, you can change the MAC to whatever legal address you want, which for whatever reason gives you a different WAN IP address. Although the only use I can think of for that is getting around being blocked from various sites, or maybe cycling your address regularly when using P2P software.

Peter_
20-02-2011, 12:17
Well, if you have seperate modem and router and the router can be flashed with DD-WRT, you can change the MAC to whatever legal address you want, which for whatever reason gives you a different WAN IP address. Although the only use I can think of for that is getting around being blocked from various sites, or maybe cycling your address regularly when using P2P software.
That will work once we get bridge mode but not as yet.

Wayfair
20-02-2011, 13:06
Ok I stand corrected lol :bsmack:

Nopanic
20-02-2011, 14:24
Ok I stand corrected lol :bsmack:

You'd normally be right .. weird ass Superhub :D