PDA

View Full Version : Um Help :)

Enazel
15-02-2011, 20:49
Ok so looking at a new house, VM postcode checker says I can have Cable, but when I was at the house looking, i couldn't see the usual triangular cover on the footpath near the house anywhere, How how accuary is the Postcode checker?

MovedGoalPosts
15-02-2011, 21:01
With any database there is the potential for issues, but properties listed as serviceable are most likely able to get cable. It's those missing from the database that have the bigger issues.

The pavement duct point being visible isn't something to rely on. Often they can have been covered by pavement repairs.

If you try to place an order, Virgin will inevitably recheck and if necessary they would send someone to have a look.

raging bull
15-02-2011, 22:13
To confirm missing duct points, the local council retarmac the whole pavement where I am.
When I approached one worker advised me 'no slack on cable'/cable company will not respond to lifting boxes whilst we put tarmac down.

jungleguy
16-02-2011, 04:23
if the estate is a relatively new build there maybe no T (triangular cover), as the developer put the duct in when the site was being built. But there will still be CATV man hole covers dotted about in the pavement.

weesteev
16-02-2011, 08:23
if the estate is a relatively new build there maybe no T (triangular cover), as the developer put the duct in when the site was being built. But there will still be CATV man hole covers dotted about in the pavement.

Even on a New Build site their would be a Tee of some description... although not potentially in the footway but against the property exterior wall. Duct is normally brought right up to this boundary meaning a cable pull is very straight forward (if the homes arent pre-wired that is).

;)

jungleguy
16-02-2011, 10:18
Even on a New Build site their would be a Tee of some description... although not potentially in the footway but against the property exterior wall. Duct is normally brought right up to this boundary meaning a cable pull is very straight forward (if the homes arent pre-wired that is).

;)

yes.....but there would be no triangular cover though.......which is what the guy here has been looking for. There would be a green duct flush to the wall with rope or a yellow cap on it.

weesteev
16-02-2011, 10:20
yes.....but there would be no triangular cover though.......which is what the guy here has been looking for. There would be a green duct flush to the wall with rope or a yellow cap on it.

They wouldn't be triangular either, they would be square :-) I dont think triangular tobys have been used for years, and even then were ex-NTL? Ex Telewest had a mixture of square, oval and circular and either plastic or cast iron, depending on the area.

Enazel
16-02-2011, 10:39
Thanks for the help guys. Couple of things I didn't know, so will work on the principle that is likely would be able to have VM and go from there.

jungleguy
16-02-2011, 21:53
They wouldn't be triangular either, they would be square :-) I dont think triangular tobys have been used for years, and even then were ex-NTL? Ex Telewest had a mixture of square, oval and circular and either plastic or cast iron, depending on the area.

Sorry Weesteev, being frontline I know what I'm talking about here. Triangle or square is irrelevant, it all depends on what supplies the subs have, Last T's dropped in my patch were triangle, all others, dating back to original cable supplier are square, and I'm ex NTL franchise. Get out of the office boy........you can't do this job hidden behind a moniter....lol

weesteev
17-02-2011, 08:58
I dont do this job hidden behind a monitor thankfully :-)

Jonnymeg
17-02-2011, 09:35
Have a good look about for cabinets and road/footway pits labelled CATV.
Check to see if you immediate neighbours have VM services.

If it is important to you then i would double check before you move.
It sounds really shallow but i would not move anywhere that could not get cable as internet access (decent) is very important to me.

Enazel
18-02-2011, 11:16
Jonnymeg, plan to go have a look round tonight, as i seeing another house in the area anyhow. As i say its definitely on the street, but the issue is the house i looking at is on a row which is 90 degrees off the road, down a pathway, and I really couldn't see anything marked CATV, Water yes, and I know there's no gas (already spoken to gas company about how much that would cost me :) ). So its cable left to figure out. But the entire street on the website says it can have cable, so either db is wrong (which i know it could be, or I missed something so will have another look around)