PDA

View Full Version : Waited in for no-show - said I had phoned and cancelled and refused to take complaint

StuartEdinburgh
14-02-2011, 19:07
Hi,
New to the boards! :)

I just moved flat and signed up for Virgins Broadband, TV and Phone bundle (new customer, but have had Virgin in the past, no problems whatsoever!)
I arranged the install for the day after I moved into my new flat.

Got sent letters and emails confirming this, had a phone call a couple days before to confirm everything, even had a text the day before to confirm the install time.

The big day arrived, took time off work and waited in patiently (my install was due 10am-2pm).
At 2.30pm still no sign of anyone so I phoned Virgin to ask what was happening.

They said my install wasn't for another month!
The guy on the phone said that I had phoned them the day before (I hadn't!) and told them I wasn't moving house for another month, so had delayed the install. I was pretty angry. I asked for an explanation and said I would like to know how that could have happened. He said he would refer it to the manager of the rep who made the cancellation, but that it wasn't policy for them to offer me an explanation. I asked again that I wanted an explanation of what happened - if someone had phoned up pretending to be me I would like to know, could they check the recording of the call and let me know? He again refused, saying it would be referred to the manager but they wouldn't be back in touch with an explanation.

I then said I wanted to make an official complaint and the guy on the phone said "I can take your complaint if you really want, but I'd just close it immediately as there's nothing more I can do".

My old flatmates friend can be nasty and spiteful, I wouldn't put it past them to do this to annoy me, if so I'd like to know (I'd also be concerned they got through security checks) - but Virgin seem unwilling to listen! I'd just like an explanation of what happened, does anyone advise writing to Virgin?

I feel pretty angry about the whole situation. Has anyone else had similar issues? My install is now re-booked for a week later (assuming it's not cancelled again!) but to be honest I'm thinking of just cancelling and going with Sky. Can I cancel now? I signed up almost 3 weeks ago and have already paid £50 for activation of a HD+ box.

Thanks for listening to my little rant, hope someone has some good advice! :)

Stuart

weesteev
15-02-2011, 08:43
What would you expect to be done? If the person phoning can pass the DPA questions then theres no problem from the companies point of view.

All calls aren't recorded and no calls are stored for playback, calls are only taped ad-hoc for training and monitoring of staff so this wouldn't be an option.

oliver1948uk
15-02-2011, 09:34
Seems to me your problem lies with your relationship with your old flat mates, not VM. I do not think companies are allowed to give out phone numbers of people who have contacted them because of data protection laws.

Perhaps a change of password is called for.

Peter_
15-02-2011, 10:17
If someone has called in using your name and managed to pass DPA then the agent would just assume it was you and cancel the installation.

On average each agent has 2 calls per month recorded for quality evaluation and if you consider we may take more than 30 calls a day that is not many.

Maggy
15-02-2011, 11:19
What would you expect to be done? If the person phoning can pass the DPA questions then theres no problem from the companies point of view.

All calls aren't recorded and no calls are stored for playback, calls are only taped ad-hoc for training and monitoring of staff so this wouldn't be an option.

At least someone in 'authority' to investigate and give an explanation?

Peter_
15-02-2011, 11:21
I would advise calling in on 0845 454 1111 and choose the thinking of leaving us option as they are Customer Relations on that line.

Or an email to the CEO's Office via neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk including details from the first post above.

weesteev
15-02-2011, 11:22
At least someone in 'authority' to investigate and give an explanation?

An explanation to what though? If someone called, quoted the password/passed security then carried out a request... what is there to investigate?

Maggy
15-02-2011, 11:26
Hi,

My old flatmates friend can be nasty and spiteful, I wouldn't put it past them to do this to annoy me, if so I'd like to know (I'd also be concerned they got through security checks) - but Virgin seem unwilling to listen! I'd just like an explanation of what happened, does anyone advise writing to Virgin?

Stuart

I'd be having a word with my old flatmate and his friend and asking the 'friend' to reimburse you for losing a day's pay.Lay it on thick,talk about contacting the police about identity theft and generally make them very uncomfortable about it.

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

An explanation to what though? If someone called, quoted the password/passed security then carried out a request... what is there to investigate?

Nothing probably but the fact that this customer deserves the respect of having his complaint listened to and dealt with by an authority figure..it's called Customer service.;)

FairyFairy
15-02-2011, 12:19
Its not a very nice thing to happen to you.

One thing to consider if you go ahead with the new date install ..... someone could still call in the future and do damage (assuming they got in the first time).

Might be worth considering other options.

StuartEdinburgh
16-02-2011, 17:22
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Have got Virgin installed today, no problems.

Maybe I was slightly unclear in the original description - I think it's possible that this person has phoned up and changed the order out of spite, but also possible a mistake has been made by the Virgin rep by going into my account instead of someone elses (this is what the rep I spoke to suggested - but this is even more worrying as they would have got access to my account with no security details at all!). One other explanation I thought of is that the people who used to live in my new flat also had Virgin - is it possible someone at Virgin has got wired crossed when the previous tenants from my new new flat called about something?

I would expect that if I raise a possible breach of my account security details with any company that it would be taken seriously, as FairyFairy says if someone is using my details then there is nothing to stop them doing this in future. Possibly setting up extra security checks?

Also if this person has got access to my details then it has ramifications for other areas - what about my banking, credit cards etc? I would like to know so I can take steps to protect myself.

If the Virgin rep I spoke to was going to refer it to the rep who cancelled the installs manager, is it wrong of me to want to know what he says? There might be a record somewhere of the phone number that called, maybe then they could work out if they have merely made a mistake or if its something more malicious? I know that reps deal with a lot of customers, but it was 24 hours from when it happened and maybe the rep would have remembered something?

I'm not going to confront the person in question as without any evidence they would just deny it. They may not even have done anything in the first place, it may have simply been a mistake by the Virgin member of staff.

To just ignore my complaint is very unprofessional, and potentially the consequences could have (and still could be) pretty bad for me.