PDA

View Full Version : What to feed a sick toddler

Nanor
11-02-2011, 09:15
I'm off today with my 2.5 year old boy again. He's been ill since last weekend. He was vomiting quite a lot on Tuesday, took him to the doctors on Wednesday and was told it's 'something virally', very useful....

The last time he was ill and vomiting we were told to keep him off dairy as this was aggravating his stomach. We did this and after he started eating again we gave him milk about 48 hours after he was better but this started him off again, left it another 4 days and he was fine after that.

I Was told to feed him what he wants but quite nervous about giving him dairy for a few days, problem is he loves cheese and yoghurt and asks for it a lot. I've got him on bananas, toast and watered down apple juice at the minute but he's finding this boring. Want him to eat as he wants but need some variety, any suggestions?

Angua
11-02-2011, 09:21
Porridge is good as oats are kinder on the stomach than wheat. Make with half milk, half water to reduce the dairy.

Nanor
11-02-2011, 09:26
Thanks, will try him on porridge but not had much success in the past, he pretty much eats anything else. Going to try and get him out so will nip to the supermarket and get some supplies later this morning.

On a side note I see I've managed to post this in current affairs :dozey: This is hardly breaking news, apologies obviously clicked the wrong forum and didn't notice...

Maggy
11-02-2011, 09:50
Moved to Lifestyle.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

Thanks, will try him on porridge but not had much success in the past, he pretty much eats anything else. Going to try and get him out so will nip to the supermarket and get some supplies later this morning.

On a side note I see I've managed to post this in current affairs :dozey: This is hardly breaking news, apologies obviously clicked the wrong forum and didn't notice...

Try leaving out protein and fats and fruit.
My doctor used to suggest lots of pop(liquids and sugar replacement) and any jelly type sweets.

Also try Marmite on toast(salt replacement)no fat or honey on toast(no fat)

A little Oxo cube in warm water is also useful to replace salts.

It's an unbalanced diet but it is only for a few days and it's mainly to keep up liquid,salts and sugar replacement and as long as you make the point it's only because he's not well he won't expect it permanently.:D

It certainly worked with my two and they are now in their 20's.;)

Tinky
11-02-2011, 10:03
An old fashioned recipe to be sure but one that was used time and again when we were small, arrowroot pudding (http://www.greenchronicle.com/recipes/arrowroot_pudding.htm). :)

webcrawler2050
11-02-2011, 10:39
Dry toast - always works a treat. Plenty of water to help flush his system. If you have any calpol that may help.

jonbxx
11-02-2011, 10:51
Dry toast - always works a treat. Plenty of water to help flush his system. If you have any calpol that may help.

Dry toast is always a winner in our house too. The other thing we give is raisins as a snack to pick at - pretty healthy, pretty cheap and it gives them a good sugar boost

Nanor
11-02-2011, 10:53
Dry toast is one we always use but he doesn't eat much of it. Pop and sweets :shocked:, never heard that before wouldn't mind except he's never had any pop and doesn't really like sweets. Hard to believe I know but he's addicted to fruit. Not bothered about not giving him an unbalanced diet, as you say it's only short term and he eats very well when not ill.

I've given him some diluted apple juice which has gone down a treat and seems to be staying down. As long as he's taking fluids I'm happy in the short term but will try anything else to get him to eat. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Fingy
11-02-2011, 11:48
Fluids for a few days will do him no harm. If you are really concerned get some dioralyte and make it up with cold water but you will need to put some diltey juice in it to hide the disgusting taste.

After that, toast, dry cereals... anything really plain.

Lord Nikon
11-02-2011, 11:58
you could try him on soymilk as it's not a dairy product...

Scrubbs
11-02-2011, 14:36
you could try him on soymilk as it's not a dairy product...

oatmilk is very good as well:) make him a banana and fruit smoothie

Fingy
11-02-2011, 18:36
Is he feeling any better?