PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot 206 - Car vibrates badly in first gear or while static

Damien
06-02-2011, 15:25
My Peugeot 206 has just developed a worrying problem. The engine seems to be causing the car to vibrate/shake a lot, it is especially noticeable when the car is stationary (but the engine still on) or in first gear. It is in fact now very easy to stall in first gear as it shudders a lot. The engine warning light has also come on.

I am taking it to a garage this week but I wondered if anyone had a theory into what it could be so I know what to expect?

Cheers.

Tuftus
06-02-2011, 15:28
Is it Petrol or Deisel?

Dual mass flywheel?

Damien
06-02-2011, 15:33
Is it Petrol or Deisel?

Dual mass flywheel?

Petrol.

No idea on the 2nd. Sorry. It certainly has some mass :dunce:

martyh
06-02-2011, 15:36
sounds like one of your pistons isn't firing ,or if diesel blocked/knackered injector
is there a lack of power?

Damien
06-02-2011, 15:38
sounds like one of your pistons isn't firing ,or if diesel blocked/knackered injector
is there a lack of power?

I think there may be, not dramatically so, but it doesn't feel right.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

The manual, in reference to the warning light, mentioned injector issues. Is that a massive thing to get fixed?

Welshchris
06-02-2011, 15:41
my sister had similar problem + loss of power she has a 206 1.6TDI and in the end conked out the engine warning light came on and wouldnt go off, the RAC couldnt determine the problem because they claimed that the software on their computer only went as far back as 2003 and her car was on an 02 plate.

She took it to Peugeot and ended up being a Turbo Problem.

martyh
06-02-2011, 15:43
I think there may be, not dramatically so, but it doesn't feel right.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

The manual, in reference to the warning light, mentioned injector issues. Is that a massive thing to get fixed?

All depends ,new injectors can be expensive ,reconditioning the ones you have will save you money .I use a diesel additive in my van which does clean out injectors and lenghten the life ,i noticed a big difference in performance when i started using it you could try that first ,i use redex or wynns

best to get the car into a garage and do a diagnostic on them first

banjo
06-02-2011, 15:53
Check the engine mountings.

Damien
06-02-2011, 16:10
I am going to a garage as soon as possible :) Pondering the cost though.

pabscars
06-02-2011, 16:22
I'd put my money on a sensor being the cause, crank sensor or throttle positioning sensor, lambda sensor or a manifold pressure sensor switch , causing it to misfire.

or could be http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/problems/show.php?problem=4103

Graham M
06-02-2011, 19:58
Keep us updated!

Damien
06-02-2011, 20:07
will do...

Damien
07-02-2011, 10:39
Bizarrely it stopped when I got in the car today. What would cause something like this to be intermittent?

haydnwalker
07-02-2011, 10:42
I'd put my money on a sensor being the cause, crank sensor or throttle positioning sensor, lambda sensor or a manifold pressure sensor switch , causing it to misfire.

or could be http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/problems/show.php?problem=4103

It wouldn't be the Throttle Position Sensor causing the vibration.... My wife had a 2003 206HDi and the TPS sensor went, it just caused the loss of power and ECU light, it didn't cause any strange noises/vibrations.

I'd put money on Misfire/Engine Mount thats gone bad.

Graham M
07-02-2011, 10:42
Bizarrely it stopped when I got in the car today. What would cause something like this to be intermittent?
Dampness in the Ignition System somewhere causing misfiring (Coils, Plugs, HT Leads, Distributor, etc)

pabscars
07-02-2011, 10:50
It wouldn't be the Throttle Position Sensor causing the vibration.... My wife had a 2003 206HDi and the TPS sensor went, it just caused the loss of power and ECU light, it didn't cause any strange noises/vibrations.

I'd put money on Misfire/Engine Mount thats gone bad.

Well I can only go from prior experience :), I had an XR2i with rough idling, juddering, stalling etc but would run fine on full acceleration only. It turned out to be a faulty TPS.

haydnwalker
07-02-2011, 11:02
Well I can only go from prior experience :), I had an XR2i with rough idling, juddering, stalling etc but would run fine on full acceleration only. It turned out to be a faulty TPS.

Fair enough...can't really argue with that :)

pabscars
07-02-2011, 11:13

If your concerned about the cause, the next time you take it in for a service you could ask the garage to plug it into the diagnostic equipment which should give a clue as to what the problem was.

It could be damp in the system somewhere that's caused the issue, had you recently driven through heavy rain, had the car jet washed etc prior to the problem.

I would say there is a reasonable to fair chance of the problem coming back if nothing out of the ordinary had happened previously.

Touch wood all will be OK though

Damien
26-02-2011, 12:00
It was the injector. Fixed!

martyh
26-02-2011, 19:29
It was the injector. Fixed!

Thought so ;) ,