PDA

View Full Version : Setting up cable Internet

jetdude27
05-02-2011, 18:34
Hi All,

Ive been trying to set up my cable internet and got a little confused. First of all my wall socket has got two ports TV and FM. The cable tv is currently connected to the TV wall socket and nothing connected to the FM.

I have been sent a cable modem by VM and have tried connecting it to the FM socket but nothing happens. I have unplugged the TV and replaced it with the modem. So the modem is connected to the TV socket and the internet works.

My question is how can i get both of them to work at the same time, do i need a cable splitter?

Thanks
Jake

Chris
05-02-2011, 18:37
As far as I know, if you didn't have a socket to connect it to they should have sent a tech to do the install for you. Adding splitters to the cable can work, but you shouldn't try it if only because Virgin Media's T&Cs say you're not allowed to!

It's been years since I had cable broadband ... did they ask you if you had a spare socket? Did you look at the FM one and then tell them you did?

jb66
05-02-2011, 18:44
You normally get a splitter with the welcome pack

jetdude27
05-02-2011, 19:24
Im trying to help out my mate parents and they know nothing about internet or computers and so when they took the broadband they have thought the extra socket was for the internet.

They also assure me that all they got was the modem and a power adaptor.

If you normally get a splitter in the welcome pack, ill go buy one and see if its works.

Thanks for your help

weesteev
05-02-2011, 21:13
I would get them to double check the pack as the quickstart broadband boxes have a modem, power adapter, coax fly lead and a 2 way splitter (oh and a small plastic panner!)

Peter_
05-02-2011, 23:02
He has only been sent a modem with no quickstart kit so you will have to call Monday to get the kit sent out by an agent or a engineer to fit it for him.

The kit can be sent out as a separate item.