PDA

View Full Version : Installation no-show

mv92
03-02-2011, 19:19
Hello All,

I am new to this forum, but I find it very interesting reading.

Just having moved to the UK I have requested a Internet+phone+tv package with Virgin Media (after enquiry with real estate agency).

Everything seems to go fine during on-line sign up. I choose two installation dates that are proposed (Feb 4th and 5th) and opt for an early installation (£30 extra) so I can get into work on a decent hour.

A few days later I get a confirmation letter that confirms my subscription and an installation date for March 8th!!!! After a few futile calls to Customer Service I finally manage to get an earlier slot that became available:Feb 3rd between 8 and 10AM. So far so good.... I get a confirmation letter for the new installation date and a final confirmation call the day before.

Today was the big day, so this morning I was waiting for some time and finally around 9h15 AM I call customer service to enquire if the timeslot given is referring to the completion of the installation or the arrival of the engineer. The answer is vague, but the call the installation they (they say) and then tell me they are coming soon and I am the next appointment.

Just after 10AM still nobody, so I call again, spend another 10 minutes identifying myself twice and waiting.... still no news and I am still next in line. Of course I am not going to pay the $30 anymore.

Half an hour later I call again, go through the same procedure and then they tell me there is some kind of issue and someone will only come at mid-day.
I have already cancelled my first meetings at work and insist that this time Virgin Media respects its promise. "Of course" I am told, there was just a small problem and they would definitely be there at mid day give or take 10 mins....

At 12h20 PM I call again, beginning to be very upset. Still no clear answers so I insist to talk to a manager. Still not a lot of progress, but they say the manager of the installation team in the area is going to call me with more details.

Half an hour later still no news so I finally go to work and call again (it is 1h30 PM now). It is finally explained to me the installation engineer called in sick, but nobody communicated this to me and customer service kept me waiting all the time.

Apologies... apologies... bla bla. Customer Service was going to put me in direct contact with the manager of the installation team in the area. After another 5 mins waiting they tell me the guy doesn't want to talk to me but sends his apologies. I can however file a complaint and make a new appointment TWO WEEKS LATER!!!!

I continue calling and insist a complaint is filed directly (instead of having to post a letter which could take days) and everything is done to ensure I have a new appointment before the weekend. No promises are made and Customer Service says someone is going to call me back today (I guess it is too late for that by now) or tomorrow morning.

I also mention that I am happy to give it a try myself (as I already have telewest sockets in my apartment) as long as they send me the hardware quickly. I am told to wait for the promised call first though...

So that's my experience with Virgin Media so far... very very disappointing. Still no visibility whatsoever when this farce is going to end.

Any suggestions on how to approach this differently to get better result would be more than welcome. I am desperate to get connected again.

MV92

Kew TW9
Already have Telewest sockets in apartment (not sure if they work though)

tweedie
04-02-2011, 08:28
That sucks dude. I never hold my breathe when they say there gonna call back.

But look on the bright side, things can only get better surely?

deehand
10-02-2011, 00:12
Hi MV92,

Yesterday I have had a similar experience and tonight submitted a complaint form through to Virgin at https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/complaintformCZ.html

The wording of the complaint is as follows:

On the 1st Feb I used the online route to upgrade my existing 20Mb broadband to the new 30Mb band. The following day I received an email form Virgin confirming my order. The email also provided the following installation information: “We're sending one of our technicians round on 8/2/11 between ALLDAY SLOT to install your Virgin Media services.”

I therefore took the whole day off work (8/2/11) to be present for the installation to take place. After hours of waiting I decided to phone Virgin (at 3:40pm) to get some form of estimate when the Virgin technician might arrive. I was then informed that a technician would not be arriving as at my location a self install would suffice and that the Superhub was being delivered by courier which should arrive anytime up to 7:00pm. If I had known this beforehand, a wasted day off work would not have been necessary.

At 6:40pm that same day I again telephoned Virgin to enquire as to the whereabouts of the Superhub only to be told that it had still not left the courier’s main depot in Droitwich and it would probably be a few more days before it is delivered.

Today (9/2/11), on return from work, I discovered a courier slip with instructions to use their website to set up a new date for delivery or to collect from their depot (some 20 miles away). I had no intention of taking more time off work or travelling such a distance.
Being extremely annoyed at wasting a whole day, never mind the financial cost, I immediately telephoned Virgin retentions (the first and probably last time ever) to ask if there could be some recompense (e.g. to waive the £30 activation fee). The Virgin representative was of course apologetic but uncompromising. I therefore cancelled the upgrade. This effectively means I stay on the slower 20Mb band and incur the consequential £1.50 additional monthly fee. However, I did this out of frustration and principle (having been put to such disruption). I am now seriously considering leaving Virgin when my current contract expires (April 2011) and have commenced research into alternatives.

Your once long and loyal customer.

---------------------------------------------

If I do get a reply, I very much doubt if it will provide me with a meaningful or acceptable resolution.

regards,

David
:mad: