PDA

View Full Version : Cable from street cut.....issue?

spaced
31-01-2011, 22:19
Hi guys

I have my virgin tv, phone and broadband being installed Friday. I noticed that when i moved in about 3yrs ago i noticed a few cable and wireless/telewest boxes around the house and that the cable from the street into and external box, which then came into the house (presumably for old style cable) had been cut about an inch from it's protrusion from the street.

Few neighbours have the cable running from a whole inn the Tarmac on the pavent into their house, but mine has been cut (by the people that owned this house as spite....i was told). Will this present an issue on friday when the engineer comes believing that there will a cable? Would he have used this cable? Or have things changed? Will he just install a new one from the street into my house?

Just a tad worried as i know they know this house has had a line in in the past, as quoted by the sales person on the phone, and now i am worried they think the line is still here and it is not!

Help!!!
Thanks

nodrogd
31-01-2011, 23:38
The drop cable is usually checked and if necessary re-pulled prior to the installation day. If anything there would be more of a problem with a cable that is connected, but is then found to be not useable. Don't be surprised to see a coil of new cable appear at your boundry in the next couple of days.

spaced
01-02-2011, 00:08
The drop cable is usually checked and if necessary re-pulled prior to the installation day. If anything there would be more of a problem with a cable that is connected, but is then found to be not useable. Don't be surprised to see a coil of new cable appear at your boundry in the next couple of days.

I can't see why they would do a recky before installation date when they think I have the cable. Is it normal for them to do this? Or can I assume all engineers will come prepped for all events and digging up the pavement and either reinstalling a cable or repairing what's left is not a problem for them?

The last thing i want is for him to turn up and say "oh right,ok I cant do anything with this. Will have to rearrange for another day as I don't have the kit or parts to repair/replace"

nodrogd
01-02-2011, 17:34
A new install, which is what you are getting irrespective of a previous occupant had at the address, is always a two stage process. The VM contractor will check/install the external cabling to the street cab first, which does not require access to your property. A second contractor will turn up on the day you have booked to do the rest.

Digital Fanatic
01-02-2011, 17:38
A new install, which is what you are getting irrespective of a previous occupant had at the address, is always a two stage process. The VM contractor will check/install the external cabling to the street cab first, which does not require access to your property. A second contractor will turn up on the day you have booked to do the rest.

This is correct. :)

spaced
01-02-2011, 17:39

Having spoken to virgin today they did not mention, but instead stated that the engineers are prepped for all instances on day of install

JayJay
01-02-2011, 19:01
Im going to throw a spanner in the works here and say its not how things are done. I have NEVER seen it done that way.

Your classed as a one man install which, sadly your cable has been cut at the tee. This can possibly be repaired and get you up and running for the day but you will have to have a repull done some time after your install.

Hope it goes ok for you!

Jonnymeg
01-02-2011, 19:43
Jay Jay is quite correct.

Your property, having been previously installed, is now on the system as a 'Pre Wired' which means you will get a single installer.
A single installer cannot reinstall your drop cable (the cable to the street) and will have to book this in for you. On average you can expect to wait 7-14 days for this to happen.

What the installer can do, if possible, is to apply a temp fix by splicing onto the exposed cable. This is the usual way forward and then the second crew at a later date will replace the cut cable.

In less busy times it is possible to get it done on the same day but this is mostly not the case.

spaced
01-02-2011, 20:48
The cable was cut flush with the pavement So can't see it being repaired. I also called the guy who helped me set up the order and he has said it wont be a problem and has made a note on the system about the cable.

JayJay
01-02-2011, 20:58
There 'should' be a bit of slack, or a 'service loop' in a pit somewhere, though you rarely see that nowa days but thats a different story. You should be fine on a temp service.

Nedkelly
01-02-2011, 21:08
Jay jay is right the house will show on the system as it has had cable before and the drop cable the cable in the garden/ street is there .If there is any slack in the cable a temp repair can be done until a repull crew can get there .Be warned there are not many 2 man crews so you could be in for a wait :)

spaced
01-02-2011, 21:18
Great....i may just cancel the install and stick to what ive got. Can't be fussed with all the hassle just for a simple cable

jb66
01-02-2011, 21:20
Hopefully the wire in the pavement can be pulled up with pliars. I wouldnt cancel, i just wouldnt cancel what you have at the moment untill the install is complete

Peter_
01-02-2011, 21:21
Great....i may just cancel the install and stick to what ive got. Can't be fussed with all the hassle just for a simple cable
Give it a chance as you have 28 days in which to cancel if unhappy with the service.

jb66
01-02-2011, 21:24
I'll have a guess:

Friday comes, installer cant do the job, calls his boss, the boss says install must go ahead and gets an emergency repull. Customer up and running 3 hours later.

Peter_
01-02-2011, 21:26
I'll have a guess:

Friday comes, installer cant do the job, calls his boss, the boss says install must go ahead and gets an emergency repull. Customer up and running 3 hours later.
Now that would be an ideal scenario.:)

jb66
01-02-2011, 21:34
It's what my manager would do, for some reason he hates installs not going ahead, must affect his bonus! :)

Jonnymeg
01-02-2011, 21:38
It's what my manager would do, for some reason he hates installs not going ahead, must affect his bonus! :)

Indeed.

Contractors are pushed heavily by their bosses to complete all installs. No install means no money.
This works heavily in the customers favour. I would be very surprised if the OP did not get installed.

AndyCambs
01-02-2011, 21:38
I had pull and installation on the same day - due to a mess up with the booking for services back in C&W days. I ended up at the end with having had 18 people visit me on the one day.

Could have been the fax to the press office which helped of course...

spaced
01-02-2011, 22:41
I'll have a guess:

Haha in a perfect world, yes but cant see that happening! What do they get for ensuring the job is done? Less of an ear ache from me but that's it.

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

DEVELOPMENT...
I've just been outside with a torch and found the inch of cable sticking out of the soil. I grabbed by pliers and pulled. The cable is now sticking out approx 4 inches. Let's hope 3 years of being buried under mud still allows it to be repaired and some cable can be attached to it?

Jonnymeg
02-02-2011, 07:40
4 inches should be fine, there is prob still more slack to pull through from the Tee too.

jb66
02-02-2011, 07:42
They'll cut it back and put a gel pack on, RESULT

Peter_
02-02-2011, 07:45
They'll cut it back and put a gel pack on, RESULT
I have had one of those twice to be honest each time my cable hasbeen cut and they are a good temporary fix.:)

jb66
02-02-2011, 07:50
It's supposed to be permanent :/

spaced
02-02-2011, 08:09
4 inches should be fine, there is prob still more slack to pull through from the Tee too.

Let's hope he's stronger than me as i pulled with all my weight, whilst trying not to damage the cable and there was no more slack

amgard
04-02-2011, 16:03
Exactly the same situation existed at my home. Previous owner or cable (Comtel) installer had cut cable at boundary of my land.

When VM tech turned up to do install I mentioned this fact and he said that a new cable had already been re-pulled the day before.

a) I hadn't noticed anybody the day before
b) Someone must have done a reccy to decide to do the re-pull.

It was all very efficiently done - I must say.