PDA

View Full Version : Availability on Prescription.

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 10:34
Is there a list or something that I can refer to to see if I can get a specific item on prescription?

I am after a humapen memoir.

Cheers, Dilli :)

Peter_
31-01-2011, 10:37
Try here for advice www.trafford.nhs (http://www.trafford.nhs).uk/files/.../Introduction%20to%20insulin_v02.pdf -

or scroll down to it here http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=humapen+memoir&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&xhr=t&q=humapen+memoir+uk+available+on+prescription&cp=43&pf=p&sclient=psy&client=firefox-a&hs=tEX&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=humapen+memoir+uk+available+on+prescription&pbx=1&fp=d774a698b7263073

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 10:41
Cheers, :tu: I did a bit of googling but can't seem to find a definate answer.

I guess the best thing to do would be to call the dr's

Peter_
31-01-2011, 10:43
Cheers, :tu: I did a bit of googling but can't seem to find a definate answer.

I guess the best thing to do would be to call the dr's
That link says its available on UK prescription and you can buy one elsewhere but I would ask the GP to be honest.:)

Kymmy
31-01-2011, 10:44
Any medicine can be got via prescription, the issue is if there is a cheaper alternative and also is the medicine being used for it's recommended usage.

Most GP's though will argue but they can prescribe any medicine that is certified in the UK. Previously they used to have to get an OK for the costing from the PCT, now I believe it's more in their own hands

Peter_
31-01-2011, 10:45
Any medicine can be got via prescription, the issue is if there is a cheaper alternative and also is the medicine being used for it's recommended usage.

Most GP's though will argue but they can prescribe any medicine that is certified in the UK. Previously they used to have to get an OK for the costing from the PCT, now I believe it's more in their own hands
Its a diabetic injection pen in this case so should be available from his GP, but I know what you mean.

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 10:46
I have not had to pay for a pen before, but this is not what I would call a standard one which is why I was wondering.

I am after the memory feature especially as sometimes I have even forgotton if I have taken a shot.

edit - it does take the cartridges I use in my current pen.

Kymmy
31-01-2011, 10:48
The fact that it's digital with an injection memory might be considered an extravagance that doesn't have anything to do with the medicine delivery especially when there are cheaper pens out there. If though you can show a valid reason as to why you need this pen then they should be able to prescribe it..

Forgetting though might not be an excuse as a small dairy can be just as effective at ticking off when you;ve had a shot

Angua
31-01-2011, 10:51
According to [/URL][url=http://www.cks.nhs.uk/insulin_therapy_in_type_2_diabetes/prescribing_information/prescribing_information/insulin_injection_devices/reusable_injection_pens#A-447927:1]cks.nhs.uk (http://www.cks.nhs.uk/insulin_therapy_in_type_2_diabetes/prescribing_information/prescribing_information/insulin_injection_devices/reusable_injection_pens#A-447927:1) The HumaPen Memoir is available on prescription. :D

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 11:10
According to cks.nhs.uk (http://www.cks.nhs.uk/insulin_therapy_in_type_2_diabetes/prescribing_information/prescribing_information/insulin_injection_devices/reusable_injection_pens#A-447927:1) The HumaPen Memoir is available on prescription. :DThat's great cheers :)

Kymmy
31-01-2011, 12:28
According to [/URL][url=http://www.cks.nhs.uk/insulin_therapy_in_type_2_diabetes/prescribing_information/prescribing_information/insulin_injection_devices/reusable_injection_pens#A-447927:1]cks.nhs.uk (http://www.cks.nhs.uk/insulin_therapy_in_type_2_diabetes/prescribing_information/prescribing_information/insulin_injection_devices/reusable_injection_pens#A-447927:1) The HumaPen Memoir is available on prescription. :D

That though still doesn't mean that a GP will prescribe it.. Sorry to say but saving money is more important to a ot of GP's than a patient's convenience.

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 12:29
If it was just for my 'convenience' I wouldn't be after one.

Kymmy
31-01-2011, 12:34
Surely forgetting if you've taken is cured the same if you write it down somewhere or the pen remembers it for you.. As a remembering pen is an expensive but convinient option compared to you writing it down somewhere a lot of GP's will label it as such.

It's like birth control, the pill easy cheap and easy, patches are more expensive and implants are the most expensive but the most convinient for those who don't remember.. A GP will push you towards tablets unless something else dictates otherwise, then he'll choose the patches and if all else fails he'll choose the implant. His choice will be purely be dependant on costs and nothing else.

Some GP's will be very anal like that, others will give you what you want as long as your reasons are valid.. I hope your GP like mine is the 2nd option :D

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 12:42
Surely forgetting if you've taken is cured the same if you write it down somewhere or the pen remembers it for you.. As a remembering pen is an expensive but convinient option compared to you writing it down somewhere a lot of GP's will label it as such.Not really no. I am already getting help with my memory issues from the gp and I doubt having it all in a diary will help - although I have tried that by having a notification as to when to take it pop up on my phone and other devices.

The pen remembering and writing it down are two seperate things though. One is dependent on me remembering to DO it and the other is not. What I'm trying to say here is at times I would even forget to put down if I'd taken it :( (Things are gettnig that bad with it at the moment).

Some of the medication I get is definately under the 'not /needed/' catagory - but I'm not going to mention that here ;)

Anyway we shall see what he says, if I can't get it on prescription I shall buy one anyway.

Kymmy
31-01-2011, 12:51
Yes and I did say in post #8

If though you can show a valid reason as to why you need this pen then they should be able to prescribe it..

Not everyone can use the forgetful excuse, others can.. My answer was a generic one as to if they'll prescribe an item or not and what conditions may be attached to it

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

I've even heard of a GP when asked for birth control implants asking a person "Do you have a smart phone?" when the patient answered YES they were told to use that to remember with.. As I said..some are anal...others are not

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 12:51
In which you also said 'forgetting may not be a valid excuse'. I don't consider it just an excuse to get a different pen.

We shall see what he says.

I am about to try to hobble into town and see. :)

edit - one thing I will say is that (this applies to the hospital diabetic clinic not the gp's so I can't comment on them) some hospitals don't pay for the pen that they give out to the patient. I guess this is on the same principle as printers being really cheap and getting money back on the ink as the same people who make the pen make the cartridges that go in it.

Kymmy
31-01-2011, 12:54
You can but try.. I hope you do get it as items like this can make a life a lot, lot easier

Angua
31-01-2011, 13:06
Even I know the testing strips are where companies make their money. Not the machines that read them. Hubby works for Abbotts ;)

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 13:11
Indeed, I got my talking blood machine for free (not on prescription) from the RNIB for this very reason :)

Kymmy
31-01-2011, 13:58
Even I know the testing strips are where companies make their money. Not the machines that read them. Hubby works for Abbotts ;)

Though the cost of a memory pen is three times that of a standard pen.. Just that factor alone would make some doctors who have inner city practices baulk at the option.

Taf
31-01-2011, 14:24
Best option is not your GP but your hospital diabetic service... they usually have stock they can issue too, free and with no hassle. They usually have loads of free blood monitoring devices in stock too.

I have swapped defective "pens" in minutes after a quick phone call then a visit to the diabetic ward.

banjo
31-01-2011, 16:07
Ask your chemist they should be able to tell you.

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2011, 16:14
I am just waiting to hear what they say now.

As it happens I am in hospital again Wednesday so I may ask there if I haven't heard back by then.

dilli-theclaw
03-02-2011, 10:59
I have a prescription for one :) :tu: - the pharmacy has had to order it in so my dad will collect it for me tomorrow.

Piccys to follow :)

Hugh
03-02-2011, 12:15
Well done, that man.

Pleased for you, and to hear your good news.

dilli-theclaw
04-02-2011, 17:26
Just got back from the pharmacy and they tell me there is a manufacturing fault and I can't have one for a couple of months.

Ah well.

Kymmy
04-02-2011, 17:33
Why is there always bad news with the good :(

In the mean time is there a phone app to keep track of injections???

Wayfair
04-02-2011, 17:38
Summat like this Kymmy?

http://www.i-inject.com/

dilli-theclaw
04-02-2011, 17:41
I will have a look at that cheers :tu:

Ramrod
04-02-2011, 18:41
http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com/humalog-coupon
http://penvoucher.humalog.com/combined.cfm

.........you never know, it might work

:)

Kymmy
04-02-2011, 19:48
I doubt it as they are American vouchers designed for a system where you would pay the product price, UK is different with either free or a fixed price prescription..

dilli-theclaw
04-02-2011, 19:52
Eli lilly tell me it is due to defective batteries in the product. They are sourcing new ones and the problem will solved 'soon'.

Also apparently some people / pharmacy's have been storing the pen in the fridge with the insulin which has been damaging the battery apparently.

After some more research I did find some discussion about this on google.

Ramrod
04-02-2011, 22:56
I doubt it as they are American vouchers designed for a system where you would pay the product price, UK is different with either free or a fixed price prescription..
Bugger, thought I did a UK search :dunce:

dilli-theclaw
07-03-2011, 18:34
Well I just got back from my diabetic annual review and aside from the crappy news I had there (what else is new ;)) - They gave me a memoir and thought it was a brilliant idea :)

Kymmy
07-03-2011, 18:38
:clap:

joglynne
07-03-2011, 18:50
Well I just got back from my diabetic annual review and aside from the crappy news I had there (what else is new ;)) - They gave me a memoir and thought it was a brilliant idea :)

Sorry to hear you had crappy news :hugs: but very glad to hear you will have something that will help you.