PDA

View Full Version : Virgin & BT Line at the same time

Zee
25-01-2011, 02:45
My main line is currently connected to BT line rental, with Sky Talk, 6 months contract left, i wish to keep this, but i also wish to take out 20Mb virgin broadband, with the phone line as this will work out much cheaper over the year (with the 6 months half price + no £40 fee) will this be possible? im signing up online so im guessing where it says "Would you like to keep your current landline number?" i select "NO" right? as i dont wish them to touch that BT line.

I'll have the Virgin line in my room (where there is an old NTL phone socket there) and the BT line will be my main line at the front of my house used for the Sky Broadband.

mersey70
25-01-2011, 04:35
My main line is currently connected to BT line rental, with Sky Talk, 6 months contract left, i wish to keep this, but i also wish to take out 20Mb virgin broadband, with the phone line as this will work out much cheaper over the year (with the 6 months half price + no £40 fee) will this be possible? im signing up online so im guessing where it says "Would you like to keep your current landline number?" i select "NO" right? as i dont wish them to touch that BT line.

I'll have the Virgin line in my room (where there is an old NTL phone socket there) and the BT line will be my main line at the front of my house used for the Sky Broadband.

I was in a similar position when I joined VM, I had recently paid my quarterly BT bill but took VM up on a free 3 month offer that was due to expire.

VM won't touch the BT line, just say you don't wish to keep your BT number. VM will fit their phone socket wherever you want or in your case they'll probably just use the old NTL one if it's in good condition and it's positioned where you want.

Chris
25-01-2011, 09:23
VM aren't allowed to touch the BT master socket as it is BT's property. So when VM do the install they should leave it well alone. The most they might do is offer to place a new VM master socket next to the BT one, so any wired extensions you have running from it can easily be moved from one to the other.

As for your actual phone number - so long as you choose NO, then they'll not try to port it.

nodrogd
25-01-2011, 17:21
No need to mention to VM about your BT line, as you are not "switching" phone companies but having an additional line from VM on their own network.

Zee
25-01-2011, 19:46
cheers for the info as this makes it cheaper taking 20Mb + phone line is cheaper then just 20Mb and i wont even use that phone line anyway, maybe make the odd call here and there just to keep them happy.