PDA

View Full Version : Splitter.

Boethius
22-01-2011, 12:19
My broadband worked fine until I accepted the free T.V offer when I found I had an intermittent connection problem using the supplied splitter.

I've just spent an hour on the phone to be asked to wait in to get an engineer to look at the splitter.

I'm going to go back to just using the broadband but is there any equipment available to replace the splitter, perhaps that I can buy myself?

It's one of those that goes on the wall and takes one in and two coaxial cables out. One to the set-top and one to the modem. Splitters never work right, I don't know why they're providing those.

So I have the main terminal and then a coaxial cable that goes from that to the splitter.

nodrogd
22-01-2011, 15:38
Splitters are not a problem if the signal levels are correct. ALL customers who have TV & Broadband will have one somewhere in their installation. If VM have sent you a self-install kit and your levels are borderline, the small amount of signal loss caused by the splitter (and it is small) may be causing a problem. Tech visit will sort it out.

Using a non VM supplied splitter could send interference back onto the network and could cause your neighbours problems as well. It's also against VM's terms & conditions. Let them sort it.

Boethius
22-01-2011, 16:06
How do I measure the signal strength, specifically with relation to each cable and how do I check the itegrity of each cable?

nodrogd
22-01-2011, 16:32
The modem is more dependant on a good signal level than the TV. This thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html) will tell you how to find your current levels and give you some guidance as to the values you should be getting for the downstream & upstream paths.